• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

TryRugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Bond covers & is a feeder for talent from the gold coast no doubt, so both toowoomba and the sunny coast could be options. There is probably enough talent in both of those areas as they lose their talent to brisbane each year and similarly rugby league have no problem keeping talent there with their equivalent being the western clydesdales and falcons on the coast.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
was at the Sunnybank Easts game. My thoughts.....absolute bludger of a game lol. Lets just say the highlights package on Stan is not very exciting.

Plenty of dropped ball and errors. The ball didn't go past either teams inside centres so was a game for the forwards. Sunnybank did well to stay in the match pretty much up until half time. A lot of new players and I thought their new 5/8 from NZ was outstanding for them. Good kicking and running game.

Ultimately though the Easts forwards were too strong in the second half with a scrum pushover try and a lineout maul both producing tries For Easts.

They'd be happy with the win but dont think they would be pleased with the performance.

Sunnybank a lot of positives. Cut out the errors and they could cause a few upsets or be competitive in the season.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Did anyone see the red card given in the souths game for the Norths prop? I know norths would have still lost, but talk about killing a game early on. Norths playing a man down for the rest of the game with only 20 mins played or something like that.

It looked like a decent hit. at worst a yellow I suppose :rolleyes:. Rugby has gone soft.

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)
Did anyone see the red card given in the souths game for the Norths prop? I know norths would have still lost, but talk about killing a game early on. Norths playing a man down for the rest of the game with only 20 mins played or something like that.

It looked like a decent hit. at worst a yellow I suppose :rolleyes:. Rugby has gone soft.
Really? Just watched it just then, clearly the norths player hits him directly in the head with his shoulder, with force, with no mitigation. There's only one result likely to happen.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Really? Just watched it just then, clearly the norths player hits him directly in the head with his shoulder, with force, with no mitigation. There's only one result likely to happen.

Yeah I think the ref had the best line of sight on that tackle. It was right in front of him. Happy to back his judgment

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)

The same player was on a warning for another high shot about eight minutes before. He was penalised for that one.
Maybe the ref considered that seeing this was his second piece of foul play that it pushed it from yellow into red card territory?

For the Love of the Game

Stan Wickham (3)

Should have given the Souths 10 a yellow for pushing that hospital pass : )

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
I read earlier in this forum a tonne of Werchon chat.

How does Werchon have a super rugby contract when he sits on the bench now for two clubs.

If hes that good wouldnt he be starting lol.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I read earlier in this forum a tonne of Werchon chat.

How does Werchon have a super rugby contract when he sits on the bench now for two clubs.

If hes that good wouldnt he be starting lol.

He’s behind a very good halfback in Moses Sorovi.

It’s a similar scenario to Kalani Thomas sitting behind Tate McDermott (except both those UQ players are playing super rugby)

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
He’s behind a very good halfback in Moses Sorovi.

It’s a similar scenario to Kalani Thomas sitting behind Tate McDermott (except both those UQ players are playing super rugby)
Probably should have gone to UQ then:p

I understand that hes behind some good halfbacks but you would expect a super rugby contracted player to be playing 1st grade every week.

He couldnt get past Mosiah Christenson at Brothers (who isnt contracted) and now goes to Wests to once again sit on the bench. Not to mention cullin cooper jones is already there waiting for the next shot. (despite chat that he is changing positions to make way for Werchon)

Just seems weird to me that hes playing second grade/bench but has a professional contract.

But thats just me. :D

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Probably should have gone to UQ then:p

I understand that hes behind some good halfbacks but you would expect a super rugby contracted player to be playing 1st grade every week.

He couldnt get past Mosiah Christenson at Brothers (who isnt contracted) and now goes to Wests to once again sit on the bench. Not to mention cullin cooper jones is already there waiting for the next shot. (despite chat that he is changing positions to make way for Werchon)

Just seems weird to me that hes playing second grade/bench but has a professional contract.

But thats just me. :D

Werchon is behind an international and experienced Super Rugby player at Wests - Sorovi has played for Fiji.

H'e's benching as much because he is training with the Reds during the week and not training at Wests (so isn't playing reserve grade). CCJ came on and played wing. Werchon came on and played 9, so perhaps Cullin isn't the 'next shot'.

Louis was also notably down at Wests bright and early in Doggies kit touch judging for Colts 2.

yep, just you.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
He's also 4th string behind 3 guys in their early 20s. It makes sense to sign a younger guy with potential in that position, unless there is a bad run of injuries he won't be near the 23 this year.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
in 2007/2008 there was a young halfback with PNG roots signed with reds who was asked to play reserve grade at GPS because they didn’t want to bench the non contracted premier grade player who’d been there all year.

that PNG halfback went to a different club altogether the next year. GPS Loss / Norths gain.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
QPR has a lot of pretty good 9s playing reserve grade or benching. Plus lots of good ones in First grade.

Are Tate and Kalani still number #1 and #2? Not if QLD keeps losing…

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just from weekend gone in 2nd grade or on 1st grade bench:

Easts - Kirk
Bond - Jeans and McInnes
Wests - Werchon and Cooper-Jones
GPS - Meyer
Souths - Johnstone
Norths - Stokes

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
QPR has a lot of pretty good 9s playing reserve grade or benching. Plus lots of good ones in First grade.

Are Tate and Kalani still number #1 and #2? Not if QLD keeps losing…
Word on the Street is that Kalani is sick of playing 2nd fiddle to Tate and is looking at moving after this season.