• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm not exactly sure where the rugby clubs fit into the licensing laws, but the good Friday restrictions would likely make this very difficult, if not impossible.

If Suncorp and surrounding pubs can get trading on GF I’m sure there are ways to get it granted. Also I doubt the Sydney clubs playing today will be going dry.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If Suncorp and surrounding pubs can get trading on GF I’m sure there are ways to get it granted. Also I doubt the Sydney clubs playing today will be going dry.
Suncorp has a special exemption, but that is not simple or easy to get. The surrounding pubs and clubs operate on the state licensing laws that state drinks can only be purchased with a meal:
On Good Friday, you can sell and supply liquor from 10am to midnight, but only with a meal, in a part of the premises ordinarily set aside for dining. The meal must be prepared, served and eaten on the premises.

(Note: A meal is food that can be eaten with cutlery while seated— for example, roast beef with vegetables, lasagne, a stir-fry or a curry with rice. It is not light takeaway food like snacks, hot chips, an entree or kid's meal.)

Patrons can buy alcohol to drink with their meal from 1 hour before to 1 hour after eating their meal.
There is some room to move here, but it likely wouldn't work for all clubs. It's a risk trying to clever with it too, liquor licensing tends to be out in force on Good Friday and the fines can be exorbitant.

I agree Sydney clubs won't be going dry but that has no bearing on what Brisbane clubs can or can't do, liquor licensing is a state issue.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think maybe the Brisbane vs Sydney liquor laws has something to do with the royal Easter show?

I assume they don’t really care about Easter down there if the royal show operates on a Good Friday and I assume you can get a beer at the show?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Wouldn't this licensing regulation only be on Good Friday?
Yes, I bought it up in response to a suggestion that QPR should've been playing Friday games this weekend with club house events to watch the super Rugby afterwards.

I think maybe the Brisbane vs Sydney liquor laws has something to do with the royal Easter show?

I assume they don’t really care about Easter down there if the royal show operates on a Good Friday and I assume you can get a beer at the show?
It's a state based thing and likely goes back to the previously strong hoteliers lobby in Qld, the same reason we don't have supermarket booze.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yes, I bought it up in response to a suggestion that QPR should've been playing Friday games this weekend with club house events to watch the super Rugby afterwards.

It's a state based thing and likely goes back to the previously strong hoteliers lobby in Qld, the same reason we don't have supermarket booze.
How times change. Growing up in the 50's and 60's and as a young adult in the 70's, there was absolutely no sport played on Good Friday. There were no licenced premises open. There was no sport played before 1pm on ANZAC Day either.

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)
How times change. Growing up in the 50's and 60's and as a young adult in the 70's, there was absolutely no sport played on Good Friday. There were no licenced premises open. There was no sport played before 1pm on ANZAC Day either.
I recall Sundays split into two sessions. 10-12 then 2-4 at least until the mid to late 80s

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I recall Sundays split into two sessions. 10-12 then 2-4 at least until the mid to late 80s
Exactly. In the 70's my Rugby club existed by means of chook and meat tray raffles. Friday evening at "Ripper" Doyle's Coronation Hotel under the Grey Street Bridge near the Milk Factory, Saturday morning at Chardons Corner Hotel, Saturday afternoon at the Salisbury Hotel and Sunday's late session 2pm to 4pm at the Junction Hotel at Annerley. Hard work but great fun and the source of many great stories and great friendships forged.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Christmas Day and half Day Anzac Day
Good Friday probably has more religious significance than Christmas, so I think it correct that we don’t play QPR on Good Friday/Easter. I think it is important that the players, officials & volunteers have the Easter period off - they need to be with family and friends over Easter. Anything else is just being a little selfish IMHO.
The Rugby loving people of Brisbane voted with their feet last Friday(@ Suncorp) as to whether they are interested in attending rugby on Good Friday.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Some great games this weekend which will start to seperate the pretenders from the contenders Wests v Uni; Bros v Bond and GPS v Souths. The top 4 will come from these 6 & Easts, so winning is also denying immediate opponents competition points. Clubs need to win these type of games if they want to be playing finals footy.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

As someone who holds a NSW liquor licence the law here is it's possible to get a beer on Good Friday, but not takeaway. And, licensed premises don't have to open if they don't want to.

The show society obviously chooses to have their bars open for those who wish to have a beer. Clubs trade on Good Friday as it's traditionally a good day for them.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Thanks @Lindommer I was confused because I spent all Friday at the Bowling Club donating to the community. Was very quiet though because I think a lot of people think their closed so may not be worth paying penalties with 6 people in the entire place.

I love the idea of Friday games. I also think it's a very old mentality about people going away costing 1st & 2nd Grade player numbers at the Premier level. Probably was true when you had a lot of 30+ year olds but the age is getting younger and younger with people not playing as long. Suburban Clubs get smashed mid year with Euro Summer trips regardless of any Long Weekends.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Has any seen or heard about the QRU fining players (Prem and reserve grade) for not having completed their integrity course and the like?