• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)
Supporters and grade players make a club. Players and Coaches making move for exposure to prem grade and higher honours is good for them and the competition.
Shute shield uses a points system for players, to spread the talent around. SOmething like that for QPR would be good for the game.
I think I'm being misunderstood. I don't begrudge anyone looking for a better opportunity. I just think it's a shame for the club where a player starts as a kid and nurtures a love for the game misses out when a player chooses to move on.
Success at a club brings a lot of benefits, including retaining talent.

XFactor

Frank Nicholson (4)
We are talking about a few players each year. The rest stay at clubs for their entire playing careers. Maybe they aren't happy where they are; so they go elsewhere.

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
I just think it's a shame for the club where a player starts as a kid and nurtures a love for the game misses out when a player chooses to move on.
This is true and you make a good point, but it does go both ways. I'm sure there are lots of second grade or other players who love their club through their development but then get disgruntled because a player moves into a their club and knocks them back down the pecking order.

It's harsh to the original club when a player leaves and harsh to existing players at their new club when they arrive.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
How does rhat work? point system. Is this for contracted players.

I guess Sydney UnI & Randwick all start the season with 50 more points then the other teams cause still seems majority of players come out of those 2 setups
Here's an old link that explains it for Shute Shield

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I stand to be corrected by I am almost 100% sure that Jake Straker hasn't played at a senior level for Souths.
Pretty sure you mean Jake Simeon.
Jack Straker played colts for GPS after school before going to NZ then a short stint with the reds before re-linking with GPS

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Here's an old link that explains it for Shute Shield

Thanks for sharing.

I was going to say this system was nonsense but then I kept reading and I really liked the logic of points discounts for family members at clubs &/or point discount for every year aligned to club.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Thanks for sharing.

I was going to say this system was nonsense but then I kept reading and I really liked the logic of points discounts for family members at clubs &/or point discount for every year aligned to club.
Really interesting concept.

Would be curious how that Wests team would look last year in the finals if this applied.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Really interesting concept.

Would be curious how that Wests team would look last year in the finals if this applied.

I thought about that too…

I think they’d top out but all the discounts about years service and having sibling also at the club would mean they’d get under that 100 point cap

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tough round for tipsters.

Wests at home to Uni will be too tough and too strong. End of story.

Easts to fight back from last round’s close loss to Bond and will get over Norths. They’re going to be top 4 with this team. Need to win the close ones this season and cling onto their top 4 spot.

Brothers will have been partying over the weekend whereas Bond will have been surfing. I like this Bond team. They will win.

GPS at home? Haven’t played for 3 weeks and lots of personnel changes, but Souths attacking style is impressing and will make it 3/3.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If the GPS forwards can get some dominance, their back three this weekend can score from range, Mataitini, Aubrey and Collins are all proper speedsters, probably the fastest back three they've put on the field in some time.

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
Rebels with the bye this week so and playing at home, wests will be bolstered. Coming off a lost to souths UQ might be blown out of the water. Calling a 20 point margin to wests here.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Rebels with the bye this week so and playing at home, wests will be bolstered. Coming off a lost to souths UQ might be blown out of the water. Calling a 20 point margin to wests here.

Just saw the team announced on rugbyxplorer. Looks like 6 rebels, I suspect the #6 jersey (unnamed) might end up being Angelo Smith.

wonder why Lukas Ripley is not having a run for UQ?

Reactions: Ras