• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just watched the tackle and what a ridiculous call by the referee who mind you I've seen referee super rugby games.

talk about killing a contest

you can talk about mitigation blah blah blah.....if you've played or watched rugby you know what is a red card and that was not. The defender almost jumped back to his feet quicker than the defender did.

Embarrassing.
I've now seen the tackle, and look you can say what you want about the merits or the law, or the high tackle framework and it's pro's and con's - but the referee did his job and applied both correctly. I'm not sure if you've played or watched rugby in the last 5-6 years but that is by the book a red card. Also, the referee didn't write the laws he enforced so he didn't kill anything - he did his job. It's like blaming a cop for the speed limit when you've been caught speeding.

People want consistency and that's hard enough to achieve without also basing decisions on the outcome/ severity of injury that comes from foul play, so rightly - the fact that the ball carrier got back to his feet is irrelevant and ignored.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
That definitely was not a Red card offence, however the yellow card given to the prop should have been a Red and put to the judiciary, that was a very careless tackle.

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
if you've played or watched rugby you know what is a red card and that was not.
If you've watched any of the Six nations or Super Rugby Pacific this year there have been red cards for a lot less, regardless of if this is only a semi-professional comp it's good to see some consistency, whether you agree with it at the top level or not, filtering through to club football.

How do you expect players to progress successfully if the game is being refereed differently at higher levels.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
If you've watched any of the Six nations or Super Rugby Pacific this year there have been red cards for a lot less, regardless of if this is only a semi-professional comp it's good to see some consistency, whether you agree with it at the top level or not, filtering through to club football.

How do you expect players to progress successfully if the game is being refereed differently at higher levels.
My prediction is that if that was a super rugby incident, it would have been yellow carded with a referral and upgraded. The only difference being the process afforded to that level - outcome is the same.

Reactions: Ras

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
I've now seen the tackle, and look you can say what you want about the merits or the law, or the high tackle framework and it's pro's and con's - but the referee did his job and applied both correctly. I'm not sure if you've played or watched rugby in the last 5-6 years but that is by the book a red card. Also, the referee didn't write the laws he enforced so he didn't kill anything - he did his job. It's like blaming a cop for the speed limit when you've been caught speeding.

People want consistency and that's hard enough to achieve without also basing decisions on the outcome/ severity of injury that comes from foul play, so rightly - the fact that the ball carrier got back to his feet is irrelevant and ignored.
The best referee there was recently was nigel owens. he had a feel for the game and whilst he saw incidents that by the book should be treated worse, he dealt with them accordingly and with common sense.

maybe the book is wrong if that tackle is a red card lol :p

take me back to the good old days of footy

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
The best referee there was recently was nigel owens. he had a feel for the game and whilst he saw incidents that by the book should be treated worse, he dealt with them accordingly and with common sense.

maybe the book is wrong if that tackle is a red card lol :p

take me back to the good old days of footy
I 100% understand your point and I'm empathetic to it, but the obvious problem with referees making decisions based on feel is being highlighted right now. In alternate universes where you and I referee the game, we come to an inconsistent outcome because you and I feel different about it. Do you as a fan want consistency (in which case we have to have these processes in place) or do you want referees to make judgement calls? I understand it's necessary to have both, but if consistent decision making is the ultimate goal than we have to have this.

Maybe the lawbook and high tackle framework is wrong, but that's not the same thing as the referee being wrong and they should be spared the criticism.

Reactions: Ras

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
There’s some really good referees going around QPR who leave the cheese and beetroot in the pocket. They seem unfazed by the moans of a home crowd on a borderline infringement. The cards do come out on repeated infringement after the warnings but they generally only call a spade a spade.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)

I agree he enforced the laws but he should have said high tackle, foul play, no mitigation.

The fact that he mentioned “force” diminishes the interpretation. The tackler was passive.

Perhaps if the referee consulted his AR and allowed for his heart rate to drop before calling Red, it would have looked a bit more considered. Might have even been yellow.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I agree he enforced the laws but he should have said high tackle, foul play, no mitigation.

The fact that he mentioned “force” diminishes the interpretation. The tackler was passive.

Perhaps if the referee consulted his AR and allowed for his heart rate to drop before calling Red, it would have looked a bit more considered. Might have even been yellow.

And this is why I feel like there will be some disconnect with the decisions we are seeing in Super Rugby vs clubland this year and possibly going forward.

Super Rugby refs will be erring on the side of caution, they know they can issue a yellow and have it upgraded now. Clubland refs don't have that luxury.

Obviously clubland refs have always been at a disadvantage in terms of not having replays available, but that fact the framework around card escalation has changed for the professional comp puts them at an even bigger disadvantage in my opinion. Just another reason our game needs to find a way to bridge Super Rugby with clubland and make it more professional.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
How does everyone see this weekend’s matches?

I expect Bond and Brothers will cement their top 4 spots.
Easts v Uni - the tigers at home, just
Cannot get a read on Wests and GPS

justlookin

Stan Wickham (3)
Elwee bringing in everyone he can to win this one against his old club. No more pissing around with 9s on the wing. There are a couple of Rebels i am surprised kept their place.