• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
It’s a big 6 - Ryan Smith, Creighton, Wilson, Faessler, O’Connor, and Flook - evenly split across forwards and backs. That’s huge for Brothers club.

They could be mentally tired after a long disappointing Reds season and pre-season or they might make a huge difference to their Hospital Cup chances.

But Bond and Wests get players back too!

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I agree I wouldn’t be too excited about either side if that is what they look like in 6 plus weeks time however Brothers will receive at least 6, possibly more players from the Reds. If Wilson ends up back in club rugby with Brothers they will dominate. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) will most likely be playing at Crosby Rd and potentially Josh Flook. Half of that side yesterday will be playing second grade or Colts.
It will be interesting with Brothers, Wests and Bond when the trialling of the 100 points "salary cap" comes in from early June. With all their rep players it will be hard to stay under the 100 points.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It’s a big 6 - Ryan Smith, Creighton, Wilson, Faessler, O’Connor, and Flook - evenly split across forwards and backs. That’s huge for Brothers club.

They could be mentally tired after a long disappointing Reds season and pre-season or they might make a huge difference to their Hospital Cup chances.

Tupou as well for a game or two, if the plan for him to get match fitness at club level is still in place.

It will be interesting with Brothers, Wests and Bond when the trialling of the 100 points "salary cap" comes in from early June. With all their rep players it will be hard to stay under the 100 points.
How do the long service/family discounts work? Most of those Brothers players have a long history with the club, including family history for some. Wests are the club that look like they'll be hit hardest on it, given the influx of Rebels players they've seen recently.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Tupou as well for a game or two, if the plan for him to get match fitness at club level is still in place.

How do the long service/family discounts work? Most of those Brothers players have a long history with the club, including family history for some. Wests are the club that look like they'll be hit hardest on it, given the influx of Rebels players they've seen recently.
Wallabies before discounts are assigned 20 points, Super Rugby contracted players are 10 points.
Discounts apply:
One point per year discount for players who have previously played Colts and/or Grade with the Club.
It will be interesting!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
so it would only be the drop ins like Eloff, Ione, Uelese that would be a concern right?

Gordons and Vaihus played colts.

CCJ, Vidugo, Johnson, Angelo Smith, etc al played for wests before super?

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)

Tupou, WIlson, Oconnor....there goes the cap.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Easts vs Souths Game Wrap

High scoring thriller down at tigerland on the weekend. Some great attacking rugby from both teams.

Souths just edging a fast finishing easts team that really should have sealed that win scoring some pretty easy tries in the first half.

To their credit though, souths came back and came back well. No secret that they are a different team when their under 20's are back in and HMP was outstanding. couple of line breaks, couple of try assists. Future star in my eyes. Thought their forwards tackled well and Sam Mataafa made couple of huge tackles. Honorable mentions to their centres who made some great one on one tackles in the second half and held firm to cement that backline defense that was struggling in the first half.

Easts would be disappointed with that one. Didnt help that Eli Pilz played 20 mins as a flanker due to the reserve flanker coming on and then getting injured and having no more backrowers on the bench.

Standouts were Jordan Careira and Jake Pappin. Pappin is future star also in my eyes. No one really talks about him (maybe cos Easts are not mainstream on these forums) but hes one of Mowens under 20's boys he brought over from brothers. Hes played all through the junior reps, reds academy, junior wallabies. And word is that Mowen might be taking him to the promised land down in Canberra at the end of year.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Tupou, WIlson, Oconnor....there goes the cap.

There’s also language in those representative caps which further lowers the points cap depended on years at a club and if you have siblings at the club.

both those things apply to Tupou and Wilson so they should be able to fit a few more players under whatever cap rules they decided on.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
so it would only be the drop ins like Eloff, Ione, Uelese that would be a concern right?

Gordons and Vaihus played colts.

CCJ, Vidugo, Johnson, Angelo Smith, etc al played for wests before super?
Depends on the number of years I guess, the discounts for some of those guys may only be minimal. Uelese is probably the biggest concern if he's there, as a wallaby he incurs a big chunk of the cap without any offset. More than anything it'll probably prevent any new Rebels from showing up at Wests - Ekuasi the obvious one that any club would be keen to get their hands on.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Depends on the number of years I guess, the discounts for some of those guys may only be minimal. Uelese is probably the biggest concern if he's there, as a wallaby he incurs a big chunk of the cap without any offset. More than anything it'll probably prevent any new Rebels from showing up at Wests - Ekuasi the obvious one that any club would be keen to get their hands on.

Yeah I don’t think Uelese is factoring into qpr this year. We recruited Ngauomo from GPS, unless a injury to Dobbins - can’t see a rebel hooker being a pressing need for the dogs.

He’s either going to France or going into “next contract hibernation” while he waits out RwC squad announcement.

i suspect there will be a ton of Melbourne based players (Pone, Leota etc) up in qpr this year making one final push for a wallaby jersey but I don’t think any points cap comes into play during regular season games.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There’s also language in those representative caps which further lowers the points cap depended on years at a club and if you have siblings at the club.

both those things apply to Tupou and Wilson so they should be able to fit a few more players under whatever cap rules they decided on.
In the guidelines sent out by the QRU there is no mention of a discount for having siblings at a Club. There are discounts if you came from your Club's Juniors District(played continuously) then to their local Senior Club.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
In the guidelines sent out by the QRU there is no mention of a discount for having siblings at a Club. There are discounts if you came from your Club's Juniors District(played continuously) then to their local Senior Club.

sorry I am unaware of guidelines.
It was previously shared that they were implementing the Shute shield rule

I think there should definitely be dispensation with cap points when siblings are aligned to same club… do we really want to force some of these great “blood brothers” pairings that we got running around QPR because of a salary points cap?

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
Easts vs Souths Game Wrap

High scoring thriller down at tigerland on the weekend. Some great attacking rugby from both teams.

Souths just edging a fast finishing easts team that really should have sealed that win scoring some pretty easy tries in the first half.

To their credit though, souths came back and came back well. No secret that they are a different team when their under 20's are back in and HMP was outstanding. couple of line breaks, couple of try assists. Future star in my eyes. Thought their forwards tackled well and Sam Mataafa made couple of huge tackles. Honorable mentions to their centres who made some great one on one tackles in the second half and held firm to cement that backline defense that was struggling in the first half.

Easts would be disappointed with that one. Didnt help that Eli Pilz played 20 mins as a flanker due to the reserve flanker coming on and then getting injured and having no more backrowers on the bench.

Standouts were Jordan Careira and Jake Pappin. Pappin is future star also in my eyes. No one really talks about him (maybe cos Easts are not mainstream on these forums) but hes one of Mowens under 20's boys he brought over from brothers. Hes played all through the junior reps, reds academy, junior wallabies. And word is that Mowen might be taking him to the promised land down in Canberra at the end of year.
Was a good game. HMP showing his class for Souths. Young prop Trevor King, only 18, continues to show promise with some strong scrummaging and strong carries. I mentioned in the Colts thread that a number of Souths Prems players could still be playing for Colts, so Garrick is really put his faith in youth.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
I dont think the points system will affect anyone excluding West, UQ and possibly Bond pending how many Drua players they want to bring in this year - one would think the majority of Brothers players are long time Clubmen so their reductions would mitigate this issue.

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
I dont think the points system will affect anyone excluding West, UQ and possibly Bond pending how many Drua players they want to bring in this year - one would think the majority of Brothers players are long time Clubmen so their reductions would mitigate this issue.
have seen an email sent by a club official to his Coaches where 3 teams would have been over the cap in the first 4 rounds if it was in place right now. Astonishingly though, 2 of them still lost. One club that was over was a REAL surprise.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I
have seen an email sent by a club official to his Coaches where 3 teams would have been over the cap in the first 4 rounds if it was in place right now. Astonishingly though, 2 of them still lost. One club that was over was a REAL surprise.
don’t worry mate I am sure your team will be fine.
If they have the resources to be counting other clubs points at this stage of the season they will certainly be making sure any system suits them

seriously good comp this year with 7 teams capable of playing finals.

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Tough work for GPS they would have to win 8 from 11, but they do play Snbk & Norths twice

I wouldn’t count out GPS just yet… they’ll scrape into top 4 or be major headaches for all top 7 teams trying to make the playoffs.

will be interesting to see the reps players available. Aubrey will be in South Africa for u20s but there’s a bunch of super rugby players at the rebels who could end up playing back end of qpr season

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I wouldn’t count out GPS just yet… they’ll scrape into top 4 or be major headaches for all top 7 teams trying to make the playoffs.

will be interesting to see the reps players available. Aubrey will be in South Africa for u20s but there’s a bunch of super rugby players at the rebels who could end up playing back end of qpr season
I think all teams will take games off each other this year. UQ are my pick to miss out but they have finished strong in the past