• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Aus A game is next Friday in Tonga and they fly out Sunday - so I think it reasonable that they are withheld from games the day prior to flying overseas.
SX nice Intel on Van Nek - I think he is player 24/25 on the tour so isn’t in the game day 23.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
You could make a case for every result this week.

All playing away, Souths, GPS and Brothers all are desperate to win. Wests, Easts and UQ respectively are tough opposition.

I picked Norths to beat Sunnybank last time and they didn’t. I’m not sure this time will be different.

Great way to come back from the bye.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
You could make a case for every result this week.

All playing away, Souths, GPS and Brothers all are desperate to win. Wests, Easts and UQ respectively are tough opposition.

I picked Norths to beat Sunnybank last time and they didn’t. I’m not sure this time will be different.

Great way to come back from the bye.

Heres R5 prem grade 2023 results norths 31 bank 29

Attachments

• IMG_3907.jpeg
    IMG_3907.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 63

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not over optimistic- that was the plan, Rugby Australia changed the plan (as is their right with WC in mind)
Given he only just started running and scrummaging again, and also given this is a reoccurring injury with high risk of further reoccurrence, it seems pretty sensible to have held Tupou back from playing club rugby.

All the other players who are fit and coming off Super Rugby, that's another story.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
this could be controversial....so make of it what you will.... but a mate of mine went out to watch one of the prem games on the weekend and said that he overheard a coach get pissed off at his trainer for attending to one of his injured players and heard him say to him "I told you no headknocks".....

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
So how does everyone see the top 4 shaping out?

With 4 rounds to go you’d suspect that the top 3 are 90% qualified? GPS winking against brothers this weekend would make for a awesome run home for a couple of teams

Wilson

David Codey (61)
So how does everyone see the top 4 shaping out?

With 4 rounds to go you’d suspect that the top 3 are 90% qualified? GPS winking against brothers this weekend would make for a awesome run home for a couple of teams
I think it's pretty likely we see the top 4 we have now go through, though the top 3 could shuffle in order and Brothers are still not locked into 4th. I think the big question is going to be returning players - both Brothers (Aus A) and Souths (Under 20s) stand to gain quite a few important players, but Souths' players are much more certain to return at this stage.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think it's pretty likely we see the top 4 we have now go through, though the top 3 could shuffle in order and Brothers are still not locked into 4th. I think the big question is going to be returning players - both Brothers (Aus A) and Souths (Under 20s) stand to gain quite a few important players, but Souths' players are much more certain to return at this stage.

In this ever evolving cat and mouse game with rugby Australia - Brothers have been told JOC (James O'Connor), Wilson and Flook won't be available for club rugby.

The message seems to change week to week so who knows.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
In this ever evolving cat and mouse game with rugby Australia - Brothers have been told JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Wilson and Flook won't be available for club rugby.

The message seems to change week to week so who knows.

What an awesome 3rd tier australia has. An Aus A fixture against Tonga and then a free trip over to Europe for a match against Portugal?

Honestly - the Aus A going to Europe is such a waste of money… you’d probably be better served keeping the boys in qld/nsw club rugby because I reckon it would be better level of comp and you could pump that Aus A tour money back into the grass roots

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
One A game and a month of Barbarians fixtures for ~15 blokes no? The bulk of the starters in the A team will be made up of the 10 players who're over there for the World Cup but not selected in the French game.

Oh I was unaware of barbarians fixtures being played just before World Cup… assuming it was just a token australia A tour to play powerhouse Portuguel.

Still think these boys would be better served in Aus and the money saved going back into grassroots

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'm happy for them to be playing Aus A/Barbarians and think that's well worth the investment, I'm just not sure why we're cotton wooling them in the interim. I reckon they're just as much chance of picking up an injury going into an Australia A game without having played a game of rugby in over a month as they are picking one up playing club for that month. Absolutely put them on limited minutes so they're not overworked but I can't see why they can't be released for a few games of club rugby late July - mid August.

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm happy for them to be playing Aus A/Barbarians and think that's well worth the investment, I'm just not sure why we're cotton wooling them in the interim. I reckon they're just as much chance of picking up an injury going into an Australia A game without having played a game of rugby in over a month as they are picking one up playing club for that month. Absolutely put them on limited minutes so they're not overworked but I can't see why they can't be released for a few games of club rugby late July - mid August.
Couldn’t agree more