• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes the second field. If you’re not playing on it. Otherwise it’s the carpark or Memorial Park. Pretty poor foresight by the planners, not to mention the state of the turf that has been widely discussed on this forum. So the premiers get no home finals; a shame for their club.
Tell me where Wests were supposed to put a third field? The entire precinct is Council land for a start. I agree with you on the turf, but the fact is that they built the clubhouse/stand for the money they had - turf you can always do later but it's pretty hard to build a bigger building once you're done.
Finals is chosen by the QRU on the basis of expressions of interest from the clubs, which are then compared - so there's a heap of considerations apart from just number of fields.
Wests have a club that is the envy of every other Prem Grade club (as far as infrastructure goes), now second only to Ballymore.
(Although don't get me started on them being a Rebels feeder club. That is simply beyond the pale...)

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Let them have the benefit of reviewing and standing him down for 19 days. He was out cold and hopefully that trainer understands he wasn’t being smart. Berry asked if it was a blue card.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Was a close game for 90% of the contest today at GPS, the final score doesn’t represent how nervous I was for most of the game, particularly with the awful start GPS had.

I was at the ground but wasn’t keeping up with the substitutions, did Brothers roll a heap of subs on and that’s when the flood gates opened? Seemed to happen quickly.

Reactions: Ras

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is this the same “Medic” from Brothers who never attends to an injured player but is in the middle of every Brothers huddle barking instructions - he needs to be brought into line - I think it is disrespectful to the competition that he continues to operate in this manner. He uses the medic bib but is not a medic - to gain greater field access - it is just wrong. I have seen him on many occasions run past injured/concussed players from both sides in his haste to get to the Brothers huddle to deliver his message and he runs up and down the sideline continuously yelling out instructions - Medics are not supposed to do this.
Brothers you can do better than this.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Whilst on my high horse about Brothers - what does Brendan Gabbett think he will achieve with the continuation of his crusade to bag RA about the unavailability of wallaby & Aust A players. He was interviewed today before the GPS game on Stan. You’ve voiced your opinion on the issue on Stan before. I can’t see how going back to the same well is going to get you a different outcome. Maybe just put up and …

Last edited:

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yes the second field. If you’re not playing on it. Otherwise it’s the carpark or Memorial Park. Pretty poor foresight by the planners, not to mention the state of the turf that has been widely discussed on this forum. So the premiers get no home finals; a shame for their club.
Too much focus on the monolithic structure - not a lot on what the players are playing on...and even less on the club song (a crime in itself)

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Whilst on my high horse about Brothers - what does Brendan Gabbett think he will achieve with the continuation of his crusade to bag Rugby Australia about the unavailability of wallaby & Aust A players.

Unfortunately for Gabbsy he’s a man on borrowed time at the moment. Getting that swag of players back drastically changes their premiership hopes and his future at the club.

At the moment they’re unlikely to even make finals and if they do, that current squad won’t threaten many.

Pup McCormack has been increasing his involvements around the club since he had his
kid a few months ago. The general vibe is the axe will likely swing on a few more heads come seasons end.

Should also add Brothers 2nd grade are absolutely firing and have a number of players with 1st experience who arent being selected. So it’s not like there is a lack of depth.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
This is an incredibly close competition this year.

The schedule makers and results gods have given us an incredibly tight race home to the post these last 3 weeks.

I suspect all hands on deck from rugby Australia this week and letting Aus A players back to club rugby (maybe even some wallabies)

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
Very bizarre. Good player.
GPS have named probably their strongest team this season, the halves pairing will be their weakness IMO - Brothers have named 6 starters that have played more 2nd Grade/Colts games than 1st Grade this season, not sure why they have left Taylor Adams in 2nd Grade very bizarre.
Maybe it's his "defence" or perhaps it's just his ego that's forced Brothers to drop him.

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
Unfortunately for Gabbsy he’s a man on borrowed time at the moment. Getting that swag of players back drastically changes their premiership hopes and his future at the club.

At the moment they’re unlikely to even make finals and if they do, that current squad won’t threaten many.

Pup McCormack has been increasing his involvements around the club since he had his
kid a few months ago. The general vibe is the axe will likely swing on a few more heads come seasons end.

Should also add Brothers 2nd grade are absolutely firing and have a number of players with 1st experience who arent being selected. So it’s not like there is a lack of depth.
The moment McCormack came back to Brisbane sealed Gabbett's fate.........only thing that might save him would be a Premiership. But my money is on McCormack being Head Coach and Damien Steele Assistant. Also hearing Tom Court is off back to UQ next year clearing more space for McCormack.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hmmm yeh wait and see. McCormack didn't move back to Brisbane to be Head Coach of Brothers. I think there are a few more things happening. Not discounting it as an option, but I'm not sure that's the role he will definitely fall into when officially back at the club.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The moment McCormack came back to Brisbane sealed Gabbett's fate.........only thing that might save him would be a Premiership.

Which is totally possible because there is no clear front runner for this title.

Last week I would have said Easts but they just lost to a more hungrier South’s and now the tigers could very well be heading for missing out if other results fall other teams way

Sideline Hack

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hmmm yeh wait and see. McCormack didn't move back to Brisbane to be Head Coach of Brothers. I think there are a few more things happening. Not discounting it as an option, but I'm not sure that's the role he will definitely fall into when officially back at the club.
Officially ??? He got elected to the Board at the end of last year as rep for Senior Rugby - not sure what is unofficial about his presence at the club.