• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Bond were scintillating in their dispatch of Norths on Saturday. It appears that the Bullsharks are underplaying their real strengths by calling attention to their abilities to run the ball and score throughout the forwards and backs - from anywhere on the field. Campbell and Roberts racked up some good points opportunities - and so did a nice selection of forwards and backs, whilst Stowers looked to take a sabbatical from try scoring and staged a master class in tactical kicking showcased by a couple of beautiful 50/22 efforts. The Bullsharks are not yet at full strength and will be a handful for any team trying to keep them from taking out the minor premiership. Sunnybank could look set to spoil things for GPS and Wests.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Bond were scintillating in their dispatch of Norths on Saturday. It appears that the Bullsharks are underplaying their real strengths by calling attention to their abilities to run the ball and score throughout the forwards and backs - from anywhere on the field. Campbell and Roberts racked up some good points opportunities - and so did a nice selection of forwards and backs, whilst Stowers looked to take a sabbatical from try scoring and staged a master class in tactical kicking showcased by a couple of beautiful 50/22 efforts. The Bullsharks are not yet at full strength and will be a handful for any team trying to keep them from taking out the minor premiership. Sunnybank could look set to spoil things for GPS and Wests.

No Disrespect to Bond's win, but North's D is a strong as the preverbial wet paper bag.

Their average score against them must be close to 50.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Interesting seeing a large number of Fijian Drua players on the weekend turn out for them. Will they qualify for finals?

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Maybe it's his "defence" or perhaps it's just his ego that's forced Brothers to drop him.
Mate defence was optional at Yoku Rd, I dont think anyone should be poking holes at Adams defence - FYI his team won on the weekend so I dont think the problem is with him.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Let’s not judge Bond’s preparedness for the finals until they come to Brisbane in round 17 v GPS. They have traditionally performed better at home than in Brisbane.
As “Bond” how many premier/first grade finals have they played?
Changed to Bond about 2012? Last final was PF v Easts in 2020?
As the Breakers was it one premiership in about 2001?

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Let’s not judge Bond’s preparedness for the finals until they come to Brisbane in round 17 v GPS. They have traditionally performed better at home than in Brisbane.
As “Bond” how many premier/first grade finals have they played?
Changed to Bond about 2012? Last final was PF v Easts in 2020?
As the Breakers was it one premiership in about 2001?
As the only team to have lost 2 games thus far, and with 6 wins at home and 6 wins away, they appear to have already broken tradition in more ways than one.

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
No Disrespect to Bond's win, but North's D is a strong as the preverbial wet paper bag.

Their average score against them must be close to 50.
Point taken. The teller however was Bond's tendency to play at the level of a lesser opponent; which was missing on Saturday. Still rusty in some areas and there was a good 20 more points on offer. If they can remedy that, UQ and GPS could well be in for a couple of painful Saturday afternoons.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
One of the biggest points of difference could be Bond’s goal kicking. Even Stan coverage had them at 14-0 before Hamish Roberts’ conversion of their second try.

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
One of the biggest points of difference could be Bond’s goal kicking. Even Stan coverage had them at 14-0 before Hamish Roberts’ conversion of their second try.
Agreed. Roberts is solidly prolific with the boot. Bond has some good goalkicking depth too, with Lancaster and Stowers both pretty handy in that area. Field goals could also be in the offing from the latter two.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I wish I could be bothered finding historical rugby schedules because if my memory serves me correct Bond are notorious for choking in last couple of rounds of a season and falling out of contention…

But to be fair. They’ve looked a lot better this year

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Just heard annoying news that the ARU has directed that the returning Under 20's Junior Wallabies are to stand down from Club rugby this weekend. WTF!!! Are the ARU on a mission to absolutely kill grass roots Club rugby? Clubs have been without these players for five weeks. I certainly don't begrudge players their representative opportunities but when those commitments are over, let the guys play with their club mates and help their clubs reach their highest possible level.
Spectators will come to suburban clubs to watch and support grassroots rugby, when the best players are playing. No wonder the Wallabies are loosing their support base. Hopefully sense will prevail and the Under 20's will be available but I won't hold my breath.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Just heard annoying news that the ARU has directed that the returning Under 20's Junior Wallabies are to stand down from Club rugby this weekend. WTF!!! Are the ARU on a mission to absolutely kill grass roots Club rugby? Clubs have been without these players for five weeks. I certainly don't begrudge players their representative opportunities but when those commitments are over, let the guys play with their club mates and help their clubs reach their highest possible level.
Spectators will come to suburban clubs to watch and support grassroots rugby, when the best players are playing. No wonder the Wallabies are loosing their support base. Hopefully sense will prevail and the Under 20's will be available but I won't hold my breath.
what are they standing down for? thats a huge blow for Souths. They go to another level when their 20's boys are playing especially HMP.

And with Annan expected to make his debut it'd be a shame for them heading into the finals.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Wow that’s a massive blow for souths chance against brothers this weekend.

I actually believe there will be a RA backflip in regards to australia A participants playing this weekend (due to lack of rugby rhey been playing) and I can see the Aus u20 being held out for a mandated rest period (due to amount of rugby they’ve been playing)

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I actually believe there will be a Rugby Australia backflip in regards to australia A participants playing this weekend (due to lack of rugby rhey been playing) and I can see the Aus u20 being held out for a mandated rest period (due to amount of rugby they’ve been playing)

If they're going to backflip they better do it soon, I think it would be more disruptive to club culture if they airdropped all the Professional players in last minute on Friday afternoon and a couple of club guys had to make way in starting teams etc.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Considerable?

Nothing compared to like previous years??
you know how you build depth. Playing rugby against good quality competition
Meant to say 'considerable number of injuries over the last few years' - recent personnel changes may have decided enough is enough and to try something differently

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ironic that Phil Waugh's first public announcement since being promoted included something along the lines of 'working towards better engagement between club rugby and the Wallabies'.

Although I see that Eddie and Cheika were present at a Randwick long lunch on Sunday after the test match, hamming it up. So I guess all is right in the world...