• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

Charlie Brosnon‘s hip was dislocated. It was put back in at the ground and he will be out for 4-6 weeks. Regarding the rugby it was a great day at Brothers. They are going to be good this year. Jonte Connolly and Michael Wood to come back in the next 2 weeks. They also have some quality number 9’s with Isaac Tarabay who’s was outstanding at the back end of last year and Will Cartwright was great on Saturday and then Isiah Christian is back in 6 weeks.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Might be something to do with it. Uni play on oval 2 which can be configured for soccer while oval 1 is cricket at this times of year.

Coogee oval (Randwick) is cricket right now as well
Great day at Crosby yesterday. It was a festival of rugby - I’m guessing the bar and canteen did huge numbers - propping up the books of QPR’s evil empire.

Unsure what a Australian club rugby championship looks like but the past 2 events having curtain raiser games of significance (last year qpr woman vs Shute shield Sheilas) and this year with qpr runners up vs Canberra rugby… I think the blueprint for the comp is somewhere in there.

Does anyone know why Brisbane has hosted the club championship game 2 years in a row? Only thought is last year with it being Sydney Uni - maybe they don’t have the flexibility with their own grounds considering they share it with other university sports?
There's a few options that have no Cricket but you'd need one of them to win and host IMO. Otherwise if the QLD side has the ground available they host it.

Rat Park (Warringah) Tahs trialled there in the pre season.
Forshaw (Southern Districts) Used in the U16,U18s NSW v QLD last year.
Woollhara (Easts) Awful synthetic thing.
TG Milner (Eastwood)
Eric Tweedale (Two Blues)
Concord (West Harbour) Best of the lot. NSW v QLD U18s just gone played there.

Eastwood have been the most likely winners recently amongst the venues but Easts have the most talent as of right now.

Gordon, Norths, Manly, Randwick all Premier Cricket grounds as well.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
There's a few options that have no Cricket but you'd need one of them to win and host IMO. Otherwise if the QLD side has the ground available they host it.

Rat Park (Warringah) Tahs trialled there in the pre season.
Forshaw (Southern Districts) Used in the U16,U18s NSW v QLD last year.
Woollhara (Easts) Awful synthetic thing.
TG Milner (Eastwood)
Eric Tweedale (Two Blues)
Concord (West Harbour) Best of the lot. NSW v QLD U18s just gone played there.

Eastwood have been the most likely winners recently amongst the venues but Easts have the most talent as of right now.

Gordon, Norths, Manly, Randwick all Premier Cricket grounds as well.

Yeah I think there’s only one club in Queensland that hosts cricket and that’s GPS rugby.

Willo

Stan Wickham (3)
I was out watching GPS and Brothers yesterday. Brothers just got up, Brothers had about 5 or 6 regular first graders. I don't know why considering they don't play again for 3 weeks. The big issue for me was the amount of penalities. I reckon there was 15 at least for high shots. It was just terrible to watch. I reckon 13 out of the 15 would have been play on last year. Rugby has enough problems as it is and I think this adds to there problems. I love my rugby but it was very difficult to watch yesterday.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
I was out watching GPS and Brothers yesterday. Brothers just got up, Brothers had about 5 or 6 regular first graders. I don't know why considering they don't play again for 3 weeks. The big issue for me was the amount of penalities. I reckon there was 15 at least for high shots. It was just terrible to watch. I reckon 13 out of the 15 would have been play on last year. Rugby has enough problems as it is and I think this adds to there problems. I love my rugby but it was very difficult to watch yesterday.
It's been a bit unclear how it applies to defending pick and goes. There's very little margin for error if the ball carrier is coming in with low body height and his torso is near horizontal.

JRugby2

Frank Nicholson (4)
This year will no doubt be different to last year but you can make it more enjoyable for yourself by:

1. Reading the GMG (https://australia.rugby/participate/referee/laws) - this goes into depth about the tackle height law trial as well as a myriad of other key focus areas for the referee team. Also remember that this is like week 3(?) for referees who don't have a bi-weekly training to practice at.

2. Probably more importantly than (1) - have patience with the change. There will be shit calls, and there will also perfectly accurate penalty decisions that were play on last year. It's just the way the game has evolved and will continue to evolve. My prediction is that throughout the season we'll see the penalty counts start to drop as players adjust more and referees get more experience with the change.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
This year will no doubt be different to last year but you can make it more enjoyable for yourself by:

1. Reading the GMG (https://australia.rugby/participate/referee/laws) - this goes into depth about the tackle height law trial as well as a myriad of other key focus areas for the referee team. Also remember that this is like week 3(?) for referees who don't have a bi-weekly training to practice at.

2. Probably more importantly than (1) - have patience with the change. There will be shit calls, and there will also perfectly accurate penalty decisions that were play on last year. It's just the way the game has evolved and will continue to evolve. My prediction is that throughout the season we'll see the penalty counts start to drop as players adjust more and referees get more experience with the change.
From the trial games I have done this year games have been starting with a lot of penalties followed by general compliance, only for a few more later in the game likely due to fatigue as everyone has to keep it front of mind (incl. refs) until it becomes second nature.
The really big props with little core strength are the ones who appear to be really struggling. Not even looking to bend at the waist.

Now that trials are done....season 2024 predictions anyone?
My thoughts for 2024 season.
Bond Uni will be minor premier.
East I think will struggle. Lost a lot of players from last year.
Norths, same as last year.
Souths just lost there 9. Will finish 5/6
Sunnybank will be much better recruited well during the season. Could be a dark horse however they lack depth. Outside the 4
West I think will be good again this year.
Uni will be solid and agin be there or there about. Thomas has move back to Souths. Haven’t seen them play this year.
GPS Again will be solid with great depth.
Brothers again will be strong with there depth
My top 4
Bond
Brothers
Wests
?????

Willo

Stan Wickham (3)
Should have never left.

the hypothetical QPR grand final where we have the uni starters (Tate and Tom) versus the Souths bench warmers (Thomas and HMP)

that’s a great storyline for Stan.
I agree he should never have left. Brothers have 4 prem grade NO.9's in their ranks. It will be interesting to see were he ends up in grade. I would have Tarabay and Cartwright definitely ahead of him and Christian is back in 6 weeks.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I agree he should never have left. Brothers have 4 prem grade NO.9's in their ranks. It will be interesting to see were he ends up in grade. I would have Tarabay and Cartwright definitely ahead of him and Christian is back in 6 weeks.
Not sure what you're referring to. Kalani Thomas was a Souths Junior and Colt 1 Premiership winner. He left Souths and went to UQ. I don't understand your reference to Brothers.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Not sure what you're referring to. Kalani Thomas was a Souths Junior and Colt 1 Premiership winner. He left Souths and went to UQ. I don't understand your reference to Brothers.
yeah i don't get what brothers 4 halfbacks have to do with Thomas going to Souths

???

weird flex

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

think his point is about QPR depth and why Kalani Thomas should never left… when he headed over to UQ he was always going to be in the pecking order behind Tate (I believe Scott Gale - also a former reds 9 might of still been involved @ the heavies)

Tate McDermott/Scott Gale combo at UQ probably was the reason why Moses Sorovi left for Wests.

lot of great halfbacks kicking around and only 9 teams in QPR