• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Is that just a feeling or have you done something to back up that feeling? How much charity work would he have to do to 'earn the right' to be a philanthropist? And are you the sole judge.

It's about someone going above and beyond. Signing autographs or having obligated appearances at community functions aren't going above and beyond as they come with a pay check attached.

I don't say it as a negative to Quade, the guy doesn't have to do anything. morethan what's required of him, it doesn't make hima bad person. I just believe the word philanthropist to be one that should be reserved to those that earn it. It's not mine to judge but like the word hero, it shouldnt be thrown around.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Well stop wasting your time on Twitter reading about the mundane shit that people do.
I prefer just to deal with my own mundane shit.

If you cared to delve a bit deeper you'd find that Quade is actually quite the philanthropist with his time and some of the criticisms on this thread are ignorant & way out of order.
I just suggested that he talk about some of the positive he does, instead of the drivel he apparently drones on about.
I just don't understand you fanboys.You are vociferous in defence of QC (Quade Cooper), debating semantics of any criticism of the guy, and invariably support his cause/character with some undefined "if only you knew all the good stuff he does"
I know nothing about the guy, other than he has a big gob, a lack of desire in defence and a lot of bad habits off the field.
The only thing I have heard positive about him, is that he hangs around after matches and signs a lot of autographs......not quite philanthropic.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yes he should get on twitter and tell us about all the good things he does. That would go down a treat.

And yes I like the guy. He's a good player who gives more time than he needs to to fans and does a bit of charity work what's not to like. But calling people a fanboy for defending him against this dross is a bit rich. None of us fanboys have started threads about how cool he is and then posted multiple examples of how cool he is. Yet you and others have come into this and other threads have a go at him lots of times. You 'know nothing about the guy' but that hasn't stopped you commenting on him. WJ doesn't 'dislike' the guy but he can't stay away. Frankly he's not even my favourite Reds player, I just couldn't stand the vitriol spewing from your keyboards.

The 2 tweets where less than 280 characters but you and your mates are still going on about it days and pages later.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
The thing is that most philanthropists don't advertise the fact, I have no idea if Cooper gives money to charities & the like, but I do know that I've heard he does give of his own time for certain causes, hence I said that he was a philanthropist with his time, I'm sorry if that is seen as a misuse of the term but I thought it was apt & wanted to throw some balance to the argument that he just sits & tweets inanely 24 hours a day.
I equally don't understand what makes some people be so vociferous in their verbal attacks on a guy who is a young and talented Rugby player that the media look to for a controversial headline. Especially when they state they don't really know much about the guy.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Sully - I'm not sure what your trying to get at by saying I can't stay away. I commented on the first comment Quade made a whole ago, then returned last night when he made more and have been involved in a discussion aBout it since. If I'm not mistaken that is what a forum is about isn't it?

I disagree with any player publicly making statements in a public arena that undermine the national team that they are supposed to be a part of.

If it is Quade or berrick or Tom carter, it is unneeded and unprofessional.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Penguin - in this case, I think it is safe to say Quade has brought this attention on himself, the media, if anything are giving him the attention he is after.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Agree.
Let he who is without [fault] cast the first stone

Pretty sure he has been a relative shadow if his 2010 self, regardless of deans.

I don't have respect for him taking his beef into the public forum. How about you do something to change it. This is a la giteau an it just makes him look bad. At least Gits had the stones to leave and make a call after busting his ass to try and get back into the green and gold.
Quades worth for the wallabies has gone down dramatically. Ditto in league and the same overseas. Only Japan would pay him top top dollar. And you know what, that's on him not deans.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
This sort of dissent doesn't help his team mates when they've got a job to do this week.

I agree with Fatprop, sounds like he's pissed off about contract negotations. It's not a good look all around. Huge talent, but has no class and can't tackle. I won't miss him.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The 2 tweets where less than 280 characters but you and your mates are still going on about it days and pages later.
Try that sort of shit in your workplace and see how you get on.Publicly bagging your boss is both stupid and contemptuous.Especially when you are in the middle of contract negotiations.Even more so when you have baggage,and he has plenty of baggage.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm glad quade has spoken up about this - something is obviously wrong with the ARU, at least now the issue might come to a head.

I said in the Reds thread months ago, that the deciding factor in quade sticking with rugby will be who is wallaby coach. If link gets the job in a few weeks I think quade will sign on the dotted line. If not, things could get very interesting....

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Hmmm, surely he isn't stupid enough to give an ultimatum to the ARU regarding who is coach as part of his contract negotiations..........surely not?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
So if link becomes wallaby coach and then Quade doesn't perform underrichard graham. Does he tweet he only likes playing rugby from June til November?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I doubt it is an ultimatum as such, I just think the reason for the prolonged negotiation is because he wants to see who will be coach after the TRC.

The coach is one of the deciding factors in most players choice of super rugby/club team. At national level you can't just up and leave to another team if you dont like the way things are being run, so the only option is to really speak up about it.

I dont think it does anyone any good to just fall in line behind an obviously failed program. Quade Cooper isnt saying what he is for purely selfish reasons - he is saying it because he wants the wallabies to win games and be a successful team.

T

TOCC

When was the last time there was a 'schock' selection for the Wallabies..
We have seen it at the Brumbies and 2012 and the Reds in 2011 where new up and comers were picked over players with reputations... But we don't see it at the Wallaby level.. Yet when you listen to all players form the Brumbies and Reds they identify that part of the coaching set-up as been fundamental to ensuring everyone is competing to earn their spots and rewarding those who deserve it..

I think Robbie has become more conservative as his time at the Wallabies has dragged on, when he first came in he wasnt afraid to drop players to benefit the team, but now he seems to cling onto players in the hope they return to form.. Quade, Kurtley, Simmons, Higgers, Robinson, TPN, Mitchell, Horne, Genia and Samo just to name a few(ok, more then a few) who have been lucky to be selected at times in the past 18months even when their were other players in better form and putting in better performances.

Its boring to watch, and i'm not having a dig at the Waratahs but the fact so many Waratahs were picked in the inital June squad and subsequent tests series over better performing players at the Brumbies, Rebels and Reds seems to highlight this...I honestly think Robbie has lost the confidence to pick new players over established players.

T

TOCC

To those who dismiss Quade and say we lose nothing if he goes...

Well, thats a little bit of an insular opinion. His value to the Reds is rather enormous, the wow factor that Quade provides was a significant driver behind the Reds achieving the 30'000 crowds which now turn up at every game, or the 40'000 members that are expected to sign up for 2012..... His actual value could potentially be estimated up towards a $million if you factor in the ratings, merchandise, crowds and even the headlines that he receives.

Do i think his outspoken attitude towards his employers is stupid.. absolutely, its the wrong way to approach any situation..
Do i think he still has a lot to offer rugby union, most definitely!

Reactions: TSR

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Of course it had nothing to do with Deans admitting he was thinking about hooking QC (Quade Cooper) last week.
Your views on altruistic QC (Quade Cooper) would carry more weight if he wasn't continuing to say he wants to play with SBW in that other game.

T

TOCC

Of course it had nothing to do with Deans admitting he was thinking about hooking QC (Quade Cooper) last week.
Your views on altruistic QC (Quade Cooper) would carry more weight if he wasn't continuing to say he wants to play with SBW in that other game.

Quade has said he wants to play with SBW.. That is all the tweet said... people have read further into that and made assumptions

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
To those who dismiss Quade and say we lose nothing if he goes.

Well, thats a little bit of an insular opinion. His value to the Reds is rather enormous, the wow factor that Quade provides was a significant driver behind the Reds achieving the 30'000 crowds which now turn up at every game, or the 40'000 members that are expected to sign up for 2012... His actual value could potentially be estimated up towards a $million if you factor in the ratings, merchandise, crowds and even the headlines that he receives.

Do i think his outspoken attitude towards his employers is stupid.. absolutely, its the wrong way to approach any situation..
Do i think he still has a lot to offer rugby union, most definitely!
He clearly is important to the Reds,as is evidenced by the unwavering support of reds fans.Not so important to the wobblies, The AB's will definitely miss him if he moves on.

T

TOCC

He clearly is important to the Reds,as is evidenced by the unwavering support of reds fans.Not so important to the wobblies, The AB's will definitely miss him if he moves on.

Its interesting that you say that... Because given the current precarious state of the Wallaby fly-half depth, it would seem to indicate that he is still quite valuable to the Wallabies...
Its fine to say that we can rely on JOC (James O'Connor), Lealifano and Barnes.. Yet we currently have JOC (James O'Connor) and Lealifano out injured and then Barnes with his opportunities at fly-half this year and the previous 5 years have been unimpressive, I actually think Barnes best form at 5/8 was the 2007 RWC...

Even the AB's were down to their 4th arguably 5th fly-half by the RWC GF... Are the Wallabies really in a position to dismiss QC (Quade Cooper) so nonchalantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.