• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Sharpe jumped ship to the western force to look after himself leaving the reds in a big hole. Just because he has been a good servant of the wallabies does not allow us to dismiss what he did to Qld rugby.

There are different standards at play here.

A professional sportsman changes franchises. Fact of life.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Imagine the uproar if it was Brand O'Connor coming out whinging about tactics and backroom politics after having played a distinctly average game.
I can't see how the reaction would be any different in this scenario. The only difference would be Reds fans feeling less inclined to defend him. Perhaps since JOC (James O'Connor) hasn't yet developed a stong rapport with Rebels fans, there would be less people defending his actions.

churchills cigar

Peter Burge (5)
Everyone seems to believe this is all about Quade, simply it's not.
For years a cancer has been eating into selection and coaching of senior Aussie teams from Wallabies through to the under 20's, sevens and schools, and that is DO NOT LOSE.
winning is now a by product, not the prime objective and to that end teams are selected with attack in mind nor are players selected to compliment, it's all about the defence, why else would Nucifora select a flanker on the wing when that winger has a penchant for individual flair and scoring, don't let the opposition through.
So Quade has spilled his guts, well as much as he isn't my favourite player good on him, it's borne more out of frustration than anything and by him doing so to me he is saying wearing the Wallaby jersey has more than cudos and pride, it is doing your best and frankly our teams are playing with ankle chains and if his little rant sees something good come of it then great, I applaud him.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Imagine the uproar if it was Brand O'Connor coming out whinging about tactics and backroom politics after having played a distinctly average game. While I think Cooper is right in as it's a pretty unhappy environment around the Wallabies/ARU at the moment, there's a right way and a wrong way to express those concerns. Going to the media, not once but twice, is immature, unprofessional and deliberately provocative.

How do you know that these concerns haven't been brought up with the coaching staff and management who told the players to tell their story walking.

I almost guarantee it has come up in team meetings, or in discussion with the coach. If Genia hadn't been injured, I suspect that there would have been even more reports of heated discussions between coach and captain. Sharpe is probably happy to toe the line and keep out of trouble.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Same thing. Not on.

Doesn't make what Quade did right though.

It doesn't make it right, but he has certainly been treated differently by the press and here.

We didn't spend 17 pages talking about Deans' comments (and Deans, given his age and experience should be held to a higher standard).

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Holy fuck no tweets from cooper for 4 hours. Must be in links office.
I just don't know what's so appelling with NRL for him, besides his boyfriend sonny. Its a fucked unsctrcutal game that is predictable and you travel from between 3 states.

These young blokes need older role models, not all of them as some have there head screwed on but our so called superstars that the ARU spent a dick load on.

John nuckles Connelly is right on what he has said a about the ARU and Cooper has bought issue up as well but Not in a professional manner.
As nuckles said in a radio show the other week we need to take a leaf out of NZ rugby.

I would like to nuckles head of ARU
Ewin coach

This maybe just another biggsy rant that most here will think what the fuck is he on about now. But I do love this game and the players, even though I don't like the team selected over the pass couple of years and have posted my opinion with 5-8 alerts every time a reopen this G&G.

Cooper dickhead for the way he has gone about this.
I Still think he is our best 10 and his skills are far better than everyone that is next in line.
Who fucken knows what he is doing and he most likely doesn't know himself.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It doesn't make it right, but he has certainly been treated differently by the press and here.

We didn't spend 17 pages talking about Deans' comments (and Deans, given his age and experience should be held to a higher standard).

I'd say if we start counting posts overall that bitch about Robbie vs Quade it would be a closely run race.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
What?
Sharpe's behaviour on and off the field is exemplary.He doesn't speak out like a petulant child when thing don't go his way.
If Sharpe started bagging his boss publicly(which is very unlikely) then people would climb into him as well.
No double standards.
How anyone could link the two,and surmise that this shows QC (Quade Cooper) is being unfairly treated is mind boggling.

Exemplary?

He was looking to get involved in every niggle in the Boks game, and tried milking a penalty when he got a little kiss.

At the post match function for the Reds v Force game he barely said a word to anyone (even when spoken to), rather preferring to sulk in the corner and then left early.

This upstanding member of the rugby community dropped Qld Rugby in it as soon as a bigger money offer came his way. Qld Rugby invested in him as a player, bringing him through the ranks and helping him in achieving is goal of getting to the national team, only for him to turn around and dump them a few years after reaching that level for a few $$.

He is just about perfect, isn't he?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Well, it wasn't much of a serve

WHILE delighted his team showed great resolve to overhaul the Pumas 23-19, Wallabies coach Robbie Deans is well aware the Test five-eighth position remains a problem area.
Deans admitted last night that during the Test he contemplated replacing Quade Cooper, who had another erratic performance at No. 10. The Wallabies are waiting for James O'Connor to return from a hamstring injury, and are clearly concerned Cooper is down on his confidence after being successfully targeted by the Pumas. O'Connor will miss the South African/Argentinian leg of the tournament.
Deans was asked if there had been any thought of taking off Cooper and switching fullback Berrick Barnes to five-eighth. "Yes, it did cross our mind," Deans said. "We were to-ing and fro-ing there for a while. Dom's [Shipperley] injury to his hand complicated things a little bit. "We didn't want to be left exposed off the bench."

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Great rant Biggsy.

Can't say that I agree with everything you said, but no one will die wondering what you think about the issue, or question your passion. :D

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'd say if we start counting posts overall that bitch about Robbie vs Quade it would be a closely run race.

There are certainly a lot about Deans, but there was barely any about him talking about Cooper in those terms on national tv. Cooper goes on twitter with comparable statements and you'd think war was declared based on this thread.

One bloke is 40 + years old, been coaching for over a decade, is probably the highest paid of any coach or player in this country. He is coach of the national team, meant to be showing the example for all the coaches and players under him, and yet he goes on tv to call a player out. He also perpetuated the notion that he was looking at dropping him for the next game, even though is two other options had played just as poorly (if not worse) for the team this year.

The other has only just started his playing career, one which has now frustratingly been interrupted by injury. He isn't part of the 'leadership group', but is meant to be responsible for the execution of most plays in the team. He pops onto twitter, and in a couple of his 100 + tweets per day steps over the line (most likely in partial response to his coach's attitude towards him).

As I noted earlier in this thread, Cooper was stupid to do what he did, but I also have no doubt that he is being held to a different standard to what others are (most notably his coach).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Exemplary?

He was looking to get involved in every niggle in the Boks game, and tried milking a penalty when he got a little kiss.

At the post match function for the Reds v Force game he barely said a word to anyone (even when spoken to), rather preferring to sulk in the corner and then left early.

This upstanding member of the rugby community dropped Qld Rugby in it as soon as a bigger money offer came his way. Qld Rugby invested in him as a player, bringing him through the ranks and helping him in achieving is goal of getting to the national team, only for him to turn around and dump them a few years after reaching that level for a few $$.

He is just about perfect, isn't he?

This is quite a strange post. In fact your overall argument is very strange. Seemingly we are all getting stuck into QC (Quade Cooper), when Robbie Deans has got off unscathed. Robbie Deans. The rugby antichrist. Think about that for a bit.

You are also speculating on what has gone on behind closed doors, with absolutely zero basis in fact.

The fact is the allegations would have carried a lot more weight had they come from a more respected member of the rugby community. And yes that is Sharpe. This post reads as a very petty, desperate attempt to smear someone simply for the sake of argument. He niggled someone in the Boks game? The horror! He is a loose cannon! He was quiet at an aftermatch function? Aaarrrgh, he should be turfed out!

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
There are certainly a lot about Deans, but there was barely any about him talking about Cooper in those terms on national tv. Cooper goes on twitter with comparable statements and you'd think war was declared based on this thread.

Is there more to it than what FP posted above:
Deans was asked if there had been any thought of taking off Cooper and switching fullback Berrick Barnes to five-eighth. "Yes, it did cross our mind," Deans said. "We were to-ing and fro-ing there for a while. Dom's [Shipperley] injury to his hand complicated things a little bit. "We didn't want to be left exposed off the bench."

If that's all that was said by Deans, the statements are hardly comparable. Happy to retract what I said if there was more said by Deans on Quade's performance.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

One bloke is 40 + years old, been coaching for over a decade, is probably the highest paid of any coach or player in this country. He is coach of the national team, meant to be showing the example for all the coaches and players under him, and yet he goes on tv to call a player out. He also perpetuated the notion that he was looking at dropping him for the next game, even though is two other options had played just as poorly (if not worse) for the team this year.

The other has only just started his playing career, one which has now frustratingly been interrupted by injury. He isn't part of the 'leadership group', but is meant to be responsible for the execution of most plays in the team. He pops onto twitter, and in a couple of his 100 + tweets per day steps over the line (most likely in partial response to his coach's attitude towards him).

As I noted earlier in this thread, Cooper was stupid to do what he did, but I also have no doubt that he is being held to a different standard to what others are (most notably his coach).

Now this one. Poor little Quade, how can he cope in the face of such a vicious assault from big bad Robbie?

And wasn't it such a hateful, spiteful attack from Deans. After being ASKED a specific question- 'did you think of benching Quade' he responded with......... wait for it......... "Yes, it did cross our mind". Ouch, that's stinging. A coach saying they considered benching a player, that is just uncalled for and I dare say it... mean.

This is bullying bastadry of the worst kind. Despite the fact that I reckon about 10,000 were watching RD's conference and QC (Quade Cooper) has over 500K followers.

But seriously, Quade is held to a different standard. But that is a problem entirely of his own creation- due to past misdeeds (laptop-gate, Richie-gate, etc.) and a conscious effort by his management (and thus him by extension) to paint himself as the greatest thing in Aussie rugby, who should be shopped around to all and sundry, including other codes.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Seems a bit staged managed to me.

Surely after his first tweet, he and his manager would have got a nasty phone call.

That QC (Quade Cooper) has persited tells me there is an agenda here. Don't underestimate Nasser and his ability to generate a lot of money for his clients and thus for himself. Switching (and the threat of switching) codes is something he will do without a qualm. His loyalty is to the dollar.

Whatever bargaining power Cooper once had with the ARU has largely dissipated since the World Cup. Comments like this will only further damage his contractual negotiations.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Whatever bargaining power Cooper once had with the ARU has largely dissipated since the World Cup. Comments like this will only further damage his contractual negotiations.
What will further damage his contract negotiations is 2 knee operations within 12 months. At this stage of his career and fitness there wouldn't be a long line of NRL teams forming to pay big money for a problem playmaker with a bung knee who has a reputation as a weak defender.

I think QC (Quade Cooper) is smarter than he lets on, and is having a little play with the Media re the SBW comments. He has signed a contract with the Reds, and my guess is that he sees his future in Rugby.

Reactions: BPC

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
JON promised us wall to rugby and a subsequent bigger footprint in the media when the last SANZAR deal was penned. Now we've got it via Quade's thumbs, we're all complaining? Its NRL and AFL Grandfinal week and people are talking about the Wallabies ;)

Side note: Yes, I'm only semi-serious. I'd prefer we had the PR via different means.

Status
Not open for further replies.