• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Whether or not Quade is being manipulated is another matter. It seems as if the relationship between Camp Quade and the ARU is all butr broken down.

The fact of the matter is that no professional sportsman should openly critisize his league / coaches / superiors. The end. It is one of the most unprofessional things any sportsman can ever do, regardless of the situation and whether it appears to have merit.

Rugby is a game that is built around discipline and respect. That's built into the ethos of what we all subscribe to, and the pros even more than anyone else.

Having players shoot their mouhts off in public is just not on. Imagine the anarchy if it was okay for everyone to make their views known all the time.

Unprofessional, childish, and just totally lacking the slightest inkling of what is right or wrong. The latter seems to be something Quade really struggles with. Now I get that Queensland fans will defend their boy but just stop to think for a while. You are all being duped into this "Quade vs the World" thing.

Ignoto: Herein lies the difference. Sharpe is the consumate professional. He will keep it to himself and deal with it behind closed doors.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Ignoto: Herein lies the difference. Sharpe is the consumate professional. He will keep it to himself and deal with it behind closed doors.

I agree with you Blue, but I was hoping to cause people to think what the commotion is about. Are we more annoyed that Quade has run his mouth off, or that someone within the camp has questioned the almighty JON and the ARU?

Sharpie would never do it and I respect everything he's done for our team, sport and country.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I agree with you Blue, but I was hoping to cause people to think what the commotion is about. Are we more annoyed that Quade has run his mouth off, or that someone within the camp has questioned the almighty JON and the ARU?

Sharpie would never do it and I respect everything he's done for our team, sport and country.

The reason this has caused such a commotion is it speaks to a picture of Quade that a lot of us have- selfish, arrogant and petulant. He hasn't been playing well lately, and now all of a sudden he is lashing out at the coach for not 'letting me play how I want to'. Now that may be so Quade, but I can wager Robbie isn't telling you to throw intercept passes or drop the ball.

It comes down to blaming other people for your own faults. I am not defending Deans or the ARU here- the place has plenty of problems and I don't disagree with QC (Quade Cooper)'s criticisms of tactics as such. It's stuff that has been said here heaps of times by heaps of posters, myself included. But Quade can't disassociate himself from the past month, which it seems like he is trying to do.

The medium of twitter doesn't help either. If you are trying to make informed criticism of coaching and administration structures, it is probably best you do them in more than 140 characters.

Put it this way, if Will Genia had said these things it would be received a whole lot differently. But he wouldn't, because he is a classy professional who knows the proper way to handle things. And therein lies the explanation.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
And it continues.

The Reds boss has had his say on the matter now. He's not happy.

Would you be happy if you were Jim?

As Grandpa Jarse used to say there is always two ways to skin a cat, a right way and a wrong way.

Not that there was a lot of cat skinning done around our place, and I never received instruction in the authorised Cat Skinning procedure, despite frequent reminders of the existance of two contrasting approaches.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Half the mob want to lynch him, the other blames Deans.

Show your colors. :)

Well in that case, I'm in the lynch Deans camp and have been for a few years.

Not all that bothered by the comments. I really hope he knows what he is doing though. Love or hate the guy he is going to be very important for rugby in this country. Yes, arguably more for the Reds, but we can't afford to lose him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I find Cooper's comments to be really poor.

Regardless of whether or not there is substance in what he is saying, it is the completely wrong way to go about it.

Whether or not Deans remains coach of the Wallabies for the rest of the year and next year I think Cooper is going very close to making his position with the ARU untenable.

Reactions: BPC

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I have mixed views regarding this issue.

On the one hand Cooper is a knob. I don't know him personally, nevertheless I have developed a view of him over the last 3 years based on his actions on and off the field, comments he has made through social media, the people he associates with, and through certain stories told to me by a friend who is a member of the Reds academy and stories told to me by a Reds player. All of the above tell me that he's someone that lacks character. This type of behaviour reinforces my views. It's unprofessional....counter-productive..arrogant...Childish. It reeks of someone who thinks he's bigger than the game.

At the same time, there is no doubt an element of truth in his comments. I dont think cooper has been allowed to play his natural game for the Wallabies since the start of the world cup. I think most of us would agree that the style of rugby our national team has adopted over the last 12 months would be best described as uninspiring. I think most of us would agree that there are problems with the ARU and Wallabies set-up and that heads should roll..Regardless of whether that is the case, it is not Cooper's place to make those criticisms. He is an Employee of the ARU; he should act like one. Instead he thinks he's important enough to the ARU that he can get away with this type of insolence.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have mixed views regarding this issue.

On the one hand Cooper is a knob. I don't know him personally, nevertheless I have developed a view of him over the last 3 years based on his actions on and off the field, comments he has made through social media, the people he associates with, and through certain stories told to me by a friend who is a member of the Reds academy and stories told to me by a Reds player. All of the above tell me that he's someone that lacks character. This type of behaviour reinforces my views. It's unprofessional..counter-productive..arrogant.Childish. It reeks of someone who thinks he's bigger than the game.

At the same time, there is no doubt an element of truth in his comments. I dont think cooper has been allowed to play his natural game for the Wallabies since the start of the world cup. I think most of us would agree that the style of rugby our national team has adopted over the last 12 months would be best described as uninspiring. I think most of us would agree that there are problems with the ARU and Wallabies set-up and that heads should roll..Regardless of whether that is the case, it is not Cooper's place to make those criticisms. He is an Employee of the ARU; he should act like one. Instead he thinks he's important enough to the ARU that he can get away with this type of insolence.

Yep, the world is grey, nothing is ever black and white.

I just struggle with the whole blame game. A bit of real honest self-analysis, a bit of admitted fault, may have positioned Cooper's comments to have far more credibility.

But instead we have a guy who isn't playing well, blaming others without any acknowledgment of fault.

and then we have Deans who is struggling to get units moving in the same direction.

I think part of the issue may be cultural, this video was put up in another thread, but just listen to the way they talk and their attitude to self improvement. (The Franks brother going off to find ways to improve performance in the weeks after winning the RWC)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Whether or not Quade is being manipulated is another matter. It seems as if the relationship between Camp Quade and the ARU is all butr broken down.

The fact of the matter is that no professional sportsman should openly critisize his league / coaches / superiors. The end. It is one of the most unprofessional things any sportsman can ever do, regardless of the situation and whether it appears to have merit.

Rugby is a game that is built around discipline and respect. That's built into the ethos of what we all subscribe to, and the pros even more than anyone else.

Having players shoot their mouhts off in public is just not on. Imagine the anarchy if it was okay for everyone to make their views known all the time.

Unprofessional, childish, and just totally lacking the slightest inkling of what is right or wrong. The latter seems to be something Quade really struggles with. Now I get that Queensland fans will defend their boy but just stop to think for a while. You are all being duped into this "Quade vs the World" thing.

So how do you view Deans' comments post game about wanting to hook Cooper?

Comments made in public in regards to singling out the performance of one of his players. Discipline and respect go both ways, and the experienced and leaders should show the way.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Sharpe jumped ship to the western force to look after himself leaving the reds in a big hole. Just because he has been a good servant of the wallabies does not allow us to dismiss what he did to Qld rugby.

There are different standards at play here.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Sharpe jumped ship to the western force to look after himself leaving the reds in a big hole. Just because he has been a good servant of the wallabies does not allow us to dismiss what he did to Qld rugby.

What?
Sharpe's behaviour on and off the field is exemplary.He doesn't speak out like a petulant child when thing don't go his way.
If Sharpe started bagging his boss publicly(which is very unlikely) then people would climb into him as well.
No double standards.
How anyone could link the two,and surmise that this shows QC (Quade Cooper) is being unfairly treated is mind boggling.

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
I know Cooper is a knob and this goes to the heart of that. But he makes points and Deans singled him out. I think all have made valid points.

In essence it shows that something needs to occur. The Wallabies back line is out of ideas. Out of options. Rugby is about ideas, and lets face it the blame rests with Robbie and the players. But Robbie is the back line coach and our back line isn't cutting the mustard. Deans is out of ideas and in many ways out of sense.

It's not good to have a coach living game by game and that's whats happening here. He is simply "swinging in the wind, waiting for someone to cut him down" and put him out of his misery.

dave

Stan Wickham (3)
. . . Instead he thinks he's important enough to the ARU that he can get away with this type of insolence.

Either that or he's already decided to go to league (I don't see this happening) and is doing a ring and run. If that is the case it's a pretty cowardly thing to do and it burns his bridges making it difficult to return to rugby. In the very least it would take rugby off the negotiation table. I'm sure Nasser wouldn't approve of that.

I would also doubt Link is behind it. Link doesn't seem like he would go for such insidious tactics. But who can ever really tell? I'd like, as would many, Ewen as the national coach but I couldn't help but be disappointed if this is how he got there. But, I have to add, if it keeps Nuci out of that chair I'd learn to live with my disappointment.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
News Flash... Quade Cooper loves the media spot light... If he cant get it on himself for for playing rugby, he'll settle for getting the attention on him for loose canon statements in the media... Is anyone really surprised... !

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Ummm the bloke had spent what 7 seasons at QLD, a new franchise came knocking on his door offering him captaincy, leadership and money, a new challenge, a pioneering role etc. Hardly selling out

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Seems a bit staged managed to me.

Surely after his first tweet, he and his manager would have got a nasty phone call.

That QC (Quade Cooper) has persited tells me there is an agenda here. Don't underestimate Nasser and his ability to generate a lot of money for his clients and thus for himself. Switching (and the threat of switching) codes is something he will do without a qualm. His loyalty is to the dollar.

I actually think Cooper's attacking prowess would be very valuable in league and a few may follow him with the extra money now available to the NRL franchises.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Imagine the uproar if it was Brand O'Connor coming out whinging about tactics and backroom politics after having played a distinctly average game. While I think Cooper is right in as it's a pretty unhappy environment around the Wallabies/ARU at the moment, there's a right way and a wrong way to express those concerns. Going to the media, not once but twice, is immature, unprofessional and deliberately provocative.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think you are over estimating QC (Quade Cooper)'s media manipulation skills, I also think you over estimate his appeal to the Mungoes.
He has a recurring knee issue, and a demonstrably appalling skill in tackling.How many clubs have available surplus in their salary cap in any event?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So how do you view Deans' comments post game about wanting to hook Cooper?

Comments made in public in regards to singling out the performance of one of his players. Discipline and respect go both ways, and the experienced and leaders should show the way.
Same thing. Not on.

Doesn't make what Quade did right though.

Status
Not open for further replies.