• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Why?
His Test form for the past 18 months is ordinary at best.
If the issue is his commercial value to the Reds, shouldn't the Reds be responsible for that?
Or should the other franchises subsidise the Reds?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Why?
If the issue is his commercial value to the Reds, shouldn't the Reds be responsible for that?

So you don't think the Reds and QRU's success has an influence on rugby outside of Queensland? You think all this increase in playing and supporter numbers in Qld over the last few years only affects rugby in one state?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scotty - how does it demonstrably benefit WA or Victoria, for instance? I think Quade Cooper is an asset best kept in rugby in Oz, but I struggle a little with Quade=good for Qld = more supporters and players in Qld = good for everyone else = should be paid more by the ARU for all the positivity he brings. Ultimately, he carries baggage, much of which he packed himself.
The complete lack of a real offer is, in my mind, churlish on the part of the ARU, but he has to prove his value on the field, not as a sales pitch. I hope he does.

Reactions: BPC

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Why?

But the issue isn't just his commercial value to the Reds. However, PART of his issue is his commercial value to RUGBY.

The increase in rugby support generated by the Reds is helping rugby across the board. Looking at this strictly from a commercial point of view (and I am not arguing that is the only thing that needs to be considered here) it is sound business for the other parts of rugby to contribute towards part of the business which is being successful.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Scotty - how does it demonstrably benefit WA or Victoria, for instance? I think Quade Cooper is an asset best kept in rugby in Oz, but I struggle a little with Quade=good for Qld = more supporters and players in Qld = good for everyone else = should be paid more by the ARU for all the positivity he brings. Ultimately, he carries baggage, much of which he packed himself.
The complete lack of a real offer is, in my mind, churlish on the part of the ARU, but he has to prove his value on the field, not as a sales pitch. I hope he does.

Cyclo - increased audience in Qld = greater revenue for ARU. Whether we look at viewer numbers on the tv or bums on seats at Super rugby games and Tests.

R

Redsfan

You don't think the chance to see the Reds players including Quade (even to see him get soundly beaten) draws in a few extra supporters at QLD's away games? I don't have the stats to hand, but it would be interesting to see how the crowds at the other franchises vs the Reds have increased since 2010.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I thought that the Reds off field support improved this year, and is on target to improve next year? Quade had little game time this year.
I think you insult the administration,coaching staff and playing squad to suggest that these increases in support are down to Quade.
I also believe that whether Quade plays for the Reds or not has zero impact on supporters numbers for the Tahs, the Brumbies etc.
Lets remember that last time Quade negotiated, he thought he was on the cusp of being a worldwide sensation. He would have been one of, if not the highest paid Wallaby.
Now, by his own admission, he should not be selected to play for the Wallabies.
His new contract should reflect his loss of relevance within the squad.

Reactions: BPC

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So you don't think the Reds and QRU's success has an influence on rugby outside of Queensland? You think all this increase in playing and supporter numbers in Qld over the last few years only affects rugby in one state?

Yes, and yes.

R

Redsfan

Are you trolling? You think people turn up to witness the skilful use of the squad, superior strength and conditioning, and McKenzie testing his playing depth; rather than one of the most entertaining players we've produced in the last 10 years?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Redsfan TSR I get the extra revenue bit, but ultimately it is hard to argue Quade is the factor that makes it happen, above the effect of the entire Reds squad, and that he should be compensated by the ARU for that. If he is marketable, let him make money from sponsorships.

R

Redsfan

Redsfan TSR I get the extra revenue bit, but ultimately it is hard to argue Quade is the factor that makes it happen, above the effect of the entire Reds squad, and that he should be compensated by the ARU for that. If he is marketable, let him make money from sponsorships.

He got about an extra 10k QLDers through the gates at Suncorp on his return. I think that whilst the entire Reds squad has made themselves a more attractive outfit for supporters, I think it's gilding the lily to suggest that they are seen as the same outfit without Quade.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Quade Cooper backed himself into a corner by signing a one year contract previously and banking on the fact that his value will rise.

The opposite has happened and he has been injured and then said he didn't want to play for the Wallabies.

I think it is fair that he is only being offered an incentive based contract. The reality is that there are limited Wallaby contracts and if Cooper gets one after not being available, someone else will miss out.

If it boiled down to someone who was currently in the Wallabies team and playing well (like Ben Tapuai) getting a contract or Quade Cooper who has been injured and badmouthing the Wallabies, I'd certainly give the contract to Tapuai.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
To be fair, JON imposing a salary cap has complicated matters somewhat.The Reds should be free to pay him whatever they believe he is worth to them.But they are constrained by the cap.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
No, they're not the same. But that sort of data is pretty rubbery, unless someone plots every single crowd, and accounts for all other variables in terms of which appealing players were, or were not available, the weather, how much it goes down if he isn't there and so on. It is not a reliable means upon which to base a top-up value.
He's definitely worth more than what the ARU are offering!!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I agree he is not the only factor, but he is a factor. The concept that a sports person should be rewarded for the revenue he generates for his sport is not a concept which has never been applied before.

Also, personally I am not trying to suggest he shouldn't take a significant hit to his pocket for the way he handled all of this. However, if this was the path the ARU was going to take they should have made that clear much earlier. Churlish is a good description of their actions.

Cooper didn't handle this situation well. The ARU haven't been much better.

IMO.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
The Reds can only pay so much I believe, the rest is up to the ARU, how does that equate to other franchises subsidising?

I actually think that all test players should be on incentive contracts to play for Australia, perhaps then we'd see some consistency in performance at test level.
Unfortunatley this would probably play right into the Euro & Jap clubs hands.

Reactions: TSR

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Years too late, but he should sack Khoder Nasser now. That 1 year contract aint looking too clever now is it?

And this is how he ultimately dug his own hole, the 1 year contracts. It was a gamble which didn't pay off. The only thing for him to do now is come back better & stronger next year & prove that he is still worthy of a full contract... and take the longer one this time ffs!

Status
Not open for further replies.