• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quarter Final - Brumbies vs Highlanders, 22 July 2016 @ 6:00pm

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
- Brumbies attack seriously lacking - Toua again guilty of the same old offences, but I thought Coleman had a decent crack

Toua is obviously fast as hell, hauled an in-the-clear Faddes in with ease, but apart from that he didnt look ready for this level.

Ah Wong was a special kind of nonsense, possibly worst player on the field. Some relief for Fekitoa. Compare those two with Ben Smith and it really hits home how positional nous and spatial awareness play such a huge part at this level gahh Visinia wft

Ronnie Coleman has REALLY lost a lot of size from his heyday though. He looked tiny out there! Might've been the rain playing tricks with the lighting but at times he looked almost white!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Regarding the ref, the only decision I thought was out of line was not at least penalising the shoulder charge, I thought it was a pretty clear intention to hit with the shoulder , and not just a 'collision' as Gardiner suggested.

The Brumbies no try, while most likely a try, just could not be awarded. The ref slipped over on the wet field, no-ones fault, that just happens, and the TMO genuinely could not see a grounding. You just couldn't award it.

As to a penalty try from the scrums at the end, yes there could (probably would) have been one if the Brumbies 8 had controlled the ball. On the two occasions a penalty try was on, the ball shot out of the scrum. The scrum is then over!

When an attacking team slides over the line with the ball carrier more then half over the line I thought the ref should always favour the attacking team by asking:
"Is their any reason I should not award the try"
Instead of "try or no try" - which automatically favours a defensive team for inconclusive video evidence.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The real myth is the "coaching" of Stephen Larkham. He has been trying to play a constant ball possession game plan like he was successful with himself under McQueen. Times have changed Stephen and defences better organised and the trick was found out in 2002. I'd also add the favourable ruck determinations that allowed the success no longer exist. The fact that this side was so clueless in attack all year with the Head Coach being the Wallabies backline coach fills me with dread.

I'd also add on the skills front - the Highlanders especially Ben Smith were able to kick the ball more effectively into the wind than the Ponies were either with the wind or into it. Even in shit conditions they passed the ball and made good use of it even if they were pretty inaccurate at times. Contrast the Brumbies "attack" which consisted of a pass or at most two from each ruck to a pod getting caught behind the gain line. At the end of the 1st half they managed a whopping 56% gain line efficiency. Still just like an England side of the last 30 years they almost snatched in in spite of doing nothing with the ball by scrumming their way to penalties, and doing not much with them but going for more penalties.

I really didn't think the Brumbies were that dominant in the scrum, they didn't really go forward, just wheeled around on their TH side which didn't advance. Maybe it was just Sio that was dominant.

Moore is a shadow of his top form and is a waste of space as Captain both in speaking with the refs and in decision making.

Did I mention Larkham, to top it off he is whinging about Gardiner, when it is his inability to coach a decent attack that has cruelled his team's play all year.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
.... is a question asked of current and previous Brumbies, Waratahs and Reds teams.

Don't lump the Reds in with that shit. The only Aus side to truly play running rugby in the last 6 years was the Reds of 2010-2012. They also kicked the most and had crowds and exposure you hacks down south can only dream of. Now the Kiwis have stolen the game plan and are using it against us. Now the Reds with no international starting backs and second worst team in the conference had the best record against the Kiwi sides. Not a coincidence at all given the point above of them stealing our plan.

Or something like that.

Reactions: dru

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
As to the Landers, I can't see them going back-to-back. They were good enough last night, but it's hard to see them winning a title with that scrum, and such a weak centre pairing (yes I include Fekitoa in that).

On the other hand, how good are the two Smiths. Ben Smith just gets better every time I see him, what a complete footballer.

I don't understand the now multiple comments that say the Highlanders don't have it. They have beaten all of the top teams this year. Lost 4 games for a TOTAL deficit of 11 points.

Don't recall that scrum ever giving up a penalty try. Brumbies BARELY had the advantage in the scrum. It's not going to lose a game for them.

As for the centre pairing, yes, Fekitoa is playing like shit but to suggest as you do that Faddes is the weak link, you just clearly haven't watched the Highlanders this year.

They may not win the comp of course but they are as good a chance as any other, Canes must be favourites though.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
ACR, the srum would have given up a penalty try if, on two occasions, the Brumbies number 8 had kept control of the ball. Believe me, as a Tahs supporter, I know what a beaten scrum looks like!

Look, I like the way the Landers play, and as I said, I just love watching the two Smiths. However, I just think they are behind the other three NZ teams. You, as a supporter, clearly disagree, as I would expect you to, however that is just my opinion.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
ACR, the srum would have given up a penalty try if, on two occasions, the Brumbies number 8 had kept control of the ball. Believe me, as a Tahs supporter, I know what a beaten scrum looks like!

Look, I like the way the Landers play, and as I said, I just love watching the two Smiths. However, I just think they are behind the other three NZ teams. You, as a supporter, clearly disagree, as I would expect you to, however that is just my opinion.

4-1 against those teams, yes I definitely disagree. No problem having an opinion though. Fair point on the scrum but I don't think it should be fatal for them moving forward.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
To'omua and Kuridrani have both lost form or aren't being used to their best abilities. Toua and Ah Wong couldn't crack the Reds for a reason.
Bit unfair, ah Wong has had some good games this season, better than his counterparts from the Reds. Admittedly last night wasn't his best but I think he's been a more than able replacement for the injured front liners.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
To'omua and Kuridrani have both lost form or aren't being used to their best abilities. Toua and Ah Wong couldn't crack the Reds for a reason.

You are spot on with Toua and he has not improved. The point was proved after being ditched by the Reds, he went O/S to the Pro D2 with Agen and they cut him from 15 after about 6 appearances as he was not good enough and he rode the pine or played wing for most of his remaining time there. I don't get why the Brumbies contracted him.

Ah Wong has improved after having more development and is showing some good signs especially in defence as it was a real weakness in the past but is a work in progress. He still needs work. It was pretty obvious why the Reds passed on him at the time.

My pet hate with Larkham is his habit of recruiting discards that are projects at the expense of young prospects.

As for To'omua and Kuridrani, they both are playing poorly and it could be a good thing for To'omua to refresh elsewhere.

With Kuridrani, he either need a change in coaching (influence of a new coach) or needs to move to a new environment as I think he is stale.

G

galumay

With Kuridrani, he either need a change in coaching (influence of a new coach) or needs to move to a new environment as I think he is stale.

I dont think he is stale, its just with the complete lack of any dynamic attack and a total reliance on set piece for scoring, there is not really a place for a 13 like Kurindrani. (or most of the backs!). I suspect its going to take a change in coach or team to get him back on track.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I dont think he is stale, its just with the complete lack of any dynamic attack and a total reliance on set piece for scoring, there is not really a place for a 13 like Kurindrani. (or most of the backs!). I suspect its going to take a change in coach or team to get him back on track.
Um......? :confused:

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
In far worse conditions than the Brumbies faced the Hurricanes showed that with a stable scrum you F%$#% run the ball and score tries. So if the Brumbies scrum dominance was real (and I have stated I didn't think they were going forward on the TH side, just wheeling around it via Sio) they could have at least tried it. But no that would take some kind of attack structure which Larkham seems incapable of coaching unless it involves 12+ phases of mindlessly bashing against defenders behind the gain line.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The Brumbies' game plan is shit, but they did enough with it during the year to top the Aus conference and under the weird rules dictating the QFs makeup, make the playoffs.

I despair about how they might have gone if they had some attacking moves involving backline plays. It has been quite an uninspiring season, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.