• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
The Blues will be majority Wests based with little support from the bottom team of Ashgrove.

Just heard that a not insignificant amount of u14 BJRU Blue team have pulled the pin over the past couple of weeks. It will be a team of a different calibre to the team currently listed on the BJRU website.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
U17 Gold Coast Cyclones Squad

<snip>

Can't add anything here as there was no local U17 comp. I believe Palm Beach Currumbin entered a team in the Brisbane comp instead. Coached by Garrick Morgan

So will there be a QLD v NSW v ACT in the U15 and U17's this year?

My snouts tell me that interest factor is nil, and that the 2012 National Junior Club Championships will be the First and only AJRU National Championships.

Pity.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Just now, I have too much on to post any reports or updates.

There is a QJRU facebook page which is posting the results of each round not long after it is played.

The BJRU Red v BJRU Green games in the u14 and u15 have been cracking and close affairs. Green the victor on each occassion by only a couple of points.

The Bushranger teams have really stepped up and are the big improvers from previous years.

The grounds at Albany Creek Brumbies are superb, parking too easy and catering sensational. Has to be the best State Champs held for a long while.

Another couple of rounds to go - one this afternoon and tomorrow morning and then all finals tomorrow. Finals are decided on points accumulated during the round robin and it will be 1v2, 3v4, 5v6 etc to decide overall placings.

JCW70

Bob McCowan (2)
Just now, I have too much on to post any reports or updates.

There is a QJRU facebook page which is posting the results of each round not long after it is played.

The BJRU Red v BJRU Green games in the u14 and u15 have been cracking and close affairs. Green the victor on each occassion by only a couple of points.

The Bushranger teams have really stepped up and are the big improvers from previous years.

The grounds at Albany Creek Brumbies are superb, parking too easy and catering sensational. Has to be the best State Champs held for a long while.

Another couple of rounds to go - one this afternoon and tomorrow morning and then all finals tomorrow. Finals are decided on points accumulated during the round robin and it will be 1v2, 3v4, 5v6 etc to decide overall placings.
U13 yellow only team-undefeated so far great games and yes the country team have certainly put up great fights and taken it to the city teams

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Quick updates with one round to go before straight finals tomorrow afternoon.

u13 - The finals will be contested by either BJRU Red, BJRU Yellow or Gold Coast.

Red can do no more as they have a bye tomorrow. Yellow need to beat the disappointing (for this tournament and based on season form) BJRU Green. If Green win, then Gold Coast have to win with a bonus point. If Yellow win, Gold Coast have to win with a bonus point and by at least 25 points.

My tip - BJRU Yellow v BJRU Red Final with the very large Red team overcoming the Yellow team.... just.

u14 - the finals will be contested by either BJRU Red, Green or Yellow.

Yellow can do no more as they also have the bye. Red are currently on top of the table with the help of some bonus points and Sunshine Coast upsetting the Green team. Both Red (v Blue) and Green (vDD) have to win to secure their final spots and to be sure Green need to score four tries.

my tip - BJRU Red v BJRU Green Final (repeat of last year) and with a focused Red team to prevail (again).

u15 - Bushrangers are going very well. Could be a final between them and either BJRU Red, Green or Blue with Red being in the box seat.

my tip Bushrangers v BJRU Red with the Red team fielding heaps of finals experience prevailing (again).

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
u13 - The finals will be contested by either BJRU Red, BJRU Yellow or Gold Coast.

Red can do no more as they have a bye tomorrow. Yellow need to beat the disappointing (for this tournament and based on season form) BJRU Green. If Green win, then Gold Coast have to win with a bonus point. If Yellow win, Gold Coast have to win with a bonus point and by at least 25 points.

My tip - BJRU Yellow v BJRU Red Final with the very large Red team overcoming the Yellow team.. just.

Looks like a BJRU Yellow v Gold Coast U13 final, with Yellow beating Green 34 -19
and Gold Coast beating Sunshine Coast 34-0

http://qjru.com.au/events/

JCW70

Bob McCowan (2)
W
Looks like a BJRU Yellow v Gold Coast U13 final, with Yellow beating Green 34 -19
and Gold Coast beating Sunshine Coast 34-0

http://qjru.com.au/events/
The QJRU should be embaressed with themselves allowing the Brisbane head coach and manager picking there own sons in the Brisbane team,impartial selection not likely, green was totally outplayed all carnival. Yellow was the best Brisbane side and to only have a handful selected shows just how political junior rugby in Brisbane is.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Gold Coast defeated Brisbane Yellow in U13 Final
Not sure of the final score, but GC won by 7 points after being down 12 - 5 at half time.

Well done boys, in very hot conditions.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
WThe QJRU should be embaressed with themselves allowing the Brisbane head coach and manager picking there own sons in the Brisbane team,impartial selection not likely, green was totally outplayed all carnival. Yellow was the best Brisbane side and to only have a handful selected shows just how political junior rugby in Brisbane is.

First - congrats to u13 State Champs, Gold Coast, on scoring those last three tries in the last 10 mins or so to jag a win from behind. Never gave up and clawed their way back into the game. BJRU Yellow - great effort and very good carnival, hold your heads up.

Second - I thought Ackworth (QJRU President) gave a good explanation of selections, particularly the process and that there would always be disappointments. If you review some of the earlier posts, I am assuming as independent as can be observers had also pencilled in the players mentioned above. I believe they did earn their spots on merit.

Third - yes, the QJRU should be embarrassed. When they published the selection criteria for coaches they specifically (and I thought emphatically) stated that coaches would not be appointed to the age group that they had sons playing in. This is a failure by the QJRU to adhere to their own criteria.

Fourth - getting back to overall selections. As Ackworth said, QJRU Development officers / selectors and coaching staff were at every match they could get to during the season. Many of the Green team selected had probably had an outstanding regular season. So although the team performed poorly at the carnival, the State Champs was not the sole time of observing selection possibilities. Also looking back at all the speculatative posts I think the team named was pretty close to many of the names nominated.

And Lastly - this is u13. It is all fine and nice to make rep teams and the boys selected should be proud of themselves, but as I have said elsewhere in this forum, selection or non selection in rep teams at this level does not define the boy or what his future in rugby or any sport for that matter. However, I do believe the way a boy reacts to selection and non selection is the unseen / unrealised lesson that the boy will take with him for his life to come.

JCW70

Bob McCowan (2)
Agree
Gold Coast defeated Brisbane Yellow in U13 Final
Not sure of the final score, but GC won by 7 points after being down 12 - 5 at half time.

Well done boys, in very hot conditions.
Gold Coast were very good, gold didn't capitalise on the wind in the first half, gc were very good and deserved the win

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
u14 Reds defeated Greens 23 to 22 with a penalty kick in the last second. The lead changed too many times to remember and was the traditional great tussle that these teams have "enjoyed" over recent years.

Gotta say that the reffing standard for a State Champs Grand Final game could have been higher. A lot of legitimate (in addition to the normal bias) frustrations on both sides.

Again, also a lot of disappointment around selections in this age group.

In some respects it takes the tinge away from the State Champions when the next rep team is delivered right after the presentation. While right now I cannot provide a solution, I do say a better way must be found in the timing of the delivery.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
u15 Reds also defeated Greens 21 to 7. Reversing the earlier closer pool game result and also for the Reds team defending their State Championship status.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
I didn't take my camera, but couldn't help myself taking a couple of photos on my phone when the ref called full time right in front of us in the U13s

10634194914_e5979828f8_b_d.jpg

More here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/100900132@N02/sets/72157637237936955/

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Wow that doesn't sound right!! Gotta feel for those two boys especially if they are not capable at this level they will get found out by their team mates and opposition pretty quickly I would say they have more pressure on them than the other boys that in itself is not good - are they capable? have they been mentioned in any earlier posts?
What happened to Green?

Yes boys are up to it. They had been nominated by a few different posters on here without the team mgt being known. Capable as the next boy if not more.

On the Green team - I will say that tournament rugby is very different to regular season in many facets. The big boys who dominate week to week at this age find it v. difficult to back up over six games in three days. And then having to play teams of their calibre game after game would be foreign and where they could get away with a mistake or two, they do not have that luxury in these games that are 10 mins shorter than regular season. My thoughts anyway.

JCW70

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes boys are up to it. They had been nominated by a few different posters on here without the team mgt being known. Capable as the next boy if not more.

On the Green team - I will say that tournament rugby is very different to regular season in many facets. The big boys who dominate week to week at this age find it v. difficult to back up over six games in three days. And then having to play teams of their calibre game after game would be foreign and where they could get away with a mistake or two, they do not have that luxury in these games that are 10 mins shorter than regular season. My thoughts anyway.
Saw a photo of the team last night and find it very interesting that 15 out of the 21 were from green and red the coach and managers divisions, also why have a state carnival when everybody knew the U13 team was picked 8 weeks ago, that is evident by only one boy from blue division being picked.

Q

Quakezone

Are all CvC age group teams posted somewhere? With Gold coast winning the 13s and Bushrangers being so competitive in other age groups Country could be quite formidable this year

JCW70

Bob McCowan (2)
Are all CvC age group teams posted somewhere? With Gold coast winning the 13s and Bushrangers being so competitive in other age groups Country could be quite formidable this year
As I said before boys weren't picked on merit of carnival and I think politics played a massive part, the 10 for yellow totally outplayed the 10 that was selected and that goes for many other positions, I think the very good players for the city team will need to carry some average players and the country team will prevail

Status
Not open for further replies.