• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Quakezone

Good idea! If your team is interested in playing some pre season games next year, could you let me know the best person to talk (if not you) about organising this. Feel free to send me a message - even if it's just to touch base and we'll sort something out.

BBQ sounds great as well.
Yes you can talk to me or if you can send me a private message I will reply with contact details of people to speak to as I don't want to give details out here

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Good luck to all the teams playing in BJRU finals this weekend. Some players never get to finals, so it is a special day for those who do.

Should be some great rugby at the Churchie grounds on Sunday.

The u15Div 1 and u14 Div 1 games should be crackers. Some intense rivalry between the teams competing over the years and should provide games of the highest order.

Always good competition in the other ages and divisions, so looking forward to a great day.

Q

Quakezone

It should be a great weekend - 13 div 2 final looks to be a cracker with East (One of the larger if not the largest club in Brisbane who did not field a team in Division 1) taking on Taylor Bridge (a notably smaller club) both teams have had great season.
Albany Creek could take out Div 1 U13 and U14 which says a lot for their strength at these ages groups

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Well done to all the GF winners yesterday for the BJRU grand finals. I would like to make one point however in regard to the size of Field 3 which I think hosted at least 6 games. It was at least 10 metres narrower and 20 metres shorter than a standard size field. Why would the BJRU host their biggest day of the year and use a sub standard size field? When we asked the question the BJRU didnt even realise the field was smaller than normal. Absolutely ludicrous situation for the biggest day of the year.

Q

Quakezone

Great finals day at Churchie yesterday with some upsets showing why finals football is different than regular season.

U13 Division 1 - Albany Creek V Ashgrove, great game won by Albany creek 17 - 0, well deserved although in regular season this team had lost 7 games they actually suffered 3 big losses to a well drilled Sunnybank outfit who went unbeaten in regular season but got pipped by Ashgrove in the semis last week, after some questionable ref calls - However for some reason I have been told that the Sunnybank team were not given another life as top qualifiers btw Ashgrove qualified for the Grand final with 1 win - so not sure if we had the best two teams in the finals here but the records will show Albany Creek as the premiers congratulations and a great effort for one of the smaller Brisbane Junior clubs (Albany Creek also had a team in the 14 GF...)

U14 Division 1 - Another great game won by Sunnybank 12-10 this one came down to kicks and missed opportunities these teams went 1 a piece in regular season with Sunnybank inflicting the first loss on a crack Albany Creek outfit for 2 years, a very good final played by the best two sides in this age group and it could have gone either way.

U15 Divison 1 - Brother RED V Sunnybank another good win by Sunnybank , this is very strong Brothers Red team however they have yet to win a GF and these two team have contested every grand final in their age groups over the past 3 years with controversy and drama...both great sides and I expect many of these boys will move to higher honours in the near future

Q

Quakezone

Thanks for the round up Quakezone - I watched the U14 final and really enjoyed it. The AC team nearly took it to extra time at the very end. 2 very contrasting styles of play but some very good players on show the Rep season will see these two teams meet in the final again of that I am sure.
Thanks Nessie, along with the 15s this is a particularly strong age group and I think they select a "Brisbane city" side in this age group after the state champs so when you throw in some of the boys from Redlands and West you are going to end up with a very strong Brisbane side and I think they select a 15 year old Brisbne side as well that is sure to include a lot of those boys that played in the GF yesterday - but there are going to be a lot of good players that miss out and need to be managed - not really sure what happens with the 13s

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Great finals day at Churchie yesterday with some upsets showing why finals football is different than regular season.

U13 Division 1 - Albany Creek V Ashgrove, great game won by Albany creek 17 - 0, well deserved although in regular season this team had lost 7 games they actually suffered 3 big losses to a well drilled Sunnybank outfit who went unbeaten in regular season but got pipped by Ashgrove in the semis last week, after some questionable ref calls - However for some reason I have been told that the Sunnybank team were not given another life as top qualifiers btw Ashgrove qualified for the Grand final with 1 win - so not sure if we had the best two teams in the finals here but the records will show Albany Creek as the premiers congratulations and a great effort for one of the smaller Brisbane Junior clubs (Albany Creek also had a team in the 14 GF.)

U14 Division 1 - Another great game won by Sunnybank 12-10 this one came down to kicks and missed opportunities these teams went 1 a piece in regular season with Sunnybank inflicting the first loss on a crack Albany Creek outfit for 2 years, a very good final played by the best two sides in this age group and it could have gone either way.

U15 Divison 1 - Brother RED V Sunnybank another good win by Sunnybank , this is very strong Brothers Red team however they have yet to win a GF and these two team have contested every grand final in their age groups over the past 3 years with controversy and drama.both great sides and I expect many of these boys will move to higher honours in the near future

u15 Div 1 Final score 28 to 21

u16 Div 1 Souths v Ashgrove - I believe that Ashgrove won convincingly.

u17 Div 1 Sunnybank v Ashgrove - Sunnybank were well on top, but Ashgrove hung on by their fingernails and scored two late tries to clinch the match on the bell.

REDSRUGGERS`

Bob McCowan (2)
U15 Division 1 Grand Final 28 -21
Brothers red vs Sunnybank Blue
a very physical game that was displayed on the weekend
sunnybank came firing out when they scored the first try of the game brothers then came back very strong scoring two easy tries due to the weak sunnybank defence. overall both team display a great game and congratulations to the sunnybank team that have won their age group for 3 years.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Thanks Nessie, along with the 15s this is a particularly strong age group and I think they select a "Brisbane city" side in this age group after the state champs so when you throw in some of the boys from Redlands and West you are going to end up with a very strong Brisbane side and I think they select a 15 year old Brisbne side as well that is sure to include a lot of those boys that played in the GF yesterday - but there are going to be a lot of good players that miss out and need to be managed - not really sure what happens with the 13s

This year they will be selecting City (Brisbane) teams and Country teams for all age divisions from u13 to u17.

These teams will be announced after the respective age group finals at the State Champs being held at the Albany Creek Jnr Rugby Club fields at Brendale between 23rd Sept and 25th Sept.

On Friday 27th September, the City v Country matches will be held at Ballymore for all age groups kicking off at 9.00am as follows:-

9.00am - u13
10.15am - u14
11.30am - u15
12.45pm - u16
2.00pm - u17

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Are Redlands in the GOLD catchment? I understand they asked to removed from this region last year when U13 - Yes I have seen the GOLD team on the BJRU website and knowing this age group well there seems to be a lot of boys that should be there missing, a boy named Albion from Iona is not in that team - I also understand that this region recently had the coach changed as recent as last week (2 weeks out from state champs) which will make their task even more difficult when they come up against the likes of RED and GREEN -

Correct. In 2012, Redlands were in the Green Region with this team comprising of mainly Sunnybank, Redlands and Souths being Grand Finalists in the QJRU State Champs. Some rubbish occurred during the regular season that saw it best not to include the Easts and Redlands players in the same team.

Thankfully there was no rubbish this year and the Redlands players were considered first for the Gold region.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Yep I know of T Albion, a monster of a boy a couple of years ago who's impact has reduced every year, I believe he truly hasn't settled on the best position yet in my humble opinion from the U12 dev carnival I've seen him play 3,12,13,8 and 7- Players like this young lad near always get miss handled, they have huge physical advantages through their younger playing life (U12) but don't concentrate so hard on the technical side of their game as the "normal" boy has too - thus when parity in physical maturity is reached the "manchild" loses out.
I was more than surprised to see such limited representation from the East club with a number of quality kids within the team.

On the big boys, it is something that I have seen many coaches struggle with over the years and get the balance on what will get points for the team and what is in the long term interest of the player. Sometimes it is from just not knowing the body shape that player will end up, but most times (unfortunately) I believe it is short sightedness for the team's immediate benefit.

The Easts u14 Div 1 team have got some good players, but in the last couple of years just have not performed well as a team which I believe limits the opportunities for some players to gain rep selection. Usually from not getting ability to use quality ball or just not having the players around them to defend strongly with confidence.

Q

Quakezone

On the big boys, it is something that I have seen many coaches struggle with over the years and get the balance on what will get points for the team and what is in the long term interest of the player. Sometimes it is from just not knowing the body shape that player will end up, but most times (unfortunately) I believe it is short sightedness for the team's immediate benefit.

The Easts u14 Div 1 team have got some good players, but in the last couple of years just have not performed well as a team which I believe limits the opportunities for some players to gain rep selection. Usually from not getting ability to use quality ball or just not having the players around them to defend strongly with confidence.
Sometimes at club level it can be hard for boys to gel when they come from different schools, I'd imagine the East U14 div 1 side would be made up with boys from Churchie, Iona, Villa, BSHS maybe Terrace all of which have strong rugby programs in this age group - Do they grade at East?

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I have had a re-think about my comments on coaches and short-sightedness. I think I found it too easy to slag off with one or two coaches in mind, when there are hundreds of others out there that did not deserve that.

To be fair, most coaches are in it for the love of rugby and to "give back" to the kids their knowledge. Of course they are coaching for this season as that is what it is all about.

At club level there is usually not the time, the resources or the depth of talent to invest in long term individual plans. The coach in question may not be around in the next year, the player may move to another club or stop club to focus on school work and school rugby.

Yes there are some coaches who see a pathway through club rugby and invest in the players and the team. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the detriment.

It probably should fall upon the parents and the Rep level coaches to work together to form these longer term plans that get shared with the club and school coaches. In some respects the Gold Squad coaching tries to move towards this but I do not know how effective their sharing of info is with the player's respective club and school.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I am trying to find game times for the Qld State Champs in less than a fortnight and cannot find anything anywhere. No updates for a long time on the QJRU website.

Does anyone point me in the right direction or do I have to wait until I get a programme when I turn up at the event?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am trying to find game times for the Qld State Champs in less than a fortnight and cannot find anything anywhere. No updates for a long time on the QJRU website.

Does anyone point me in the right direction or do I have to wait until I get a programme when I turn up at the event?

I have been told that QJRU is going through some changes at the moment and will not be able to send a team to the National Club Championships which were originally planned for the October Long weekend in Canberra.

Seems that the upcoming Junior Gold Cup is being used as cover for the States losing interest in the AJRU National Club Championships for this year.

Shame for some of the boys, because by all accounts the games last year at U15 and U17 level were rather successful.

No idea what has happened to the Australian Junior RU who is supposed to have organised the National Championships.

This event was until recently on the calendar on the NSW JRU website. The calendar has been amended recently, and there is no mention of any National Junior Club Championships this year.

Q

Quakezone

Great stuff. Missed the obvious. Thanks for the link QZ.
Looks like Albany Creek are set to deliver a great state championship on and off the field
Day 2 - 1025am Green V RED U14 looks like a repeat of the Club finals should be a great game

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Brief Overview of State Champs - u13

The u13's are sometimes an unknown quantity, as you don't really know how combinations are going to gel until they turn up. Last year a depth to the Div 1 programme in BJRU provided a pointer, but this year a lack of Div 1 depth and therefore talent coming up from lower Divs makes this a hard year to pick on top of never really seeing the non Brisbane teams until they show up.

The BJRU Green team built around the Sunnybank Div 1 side that only lost one match during the year will be a formidable team

The BJRU Red team that includes many of the BJRU Div 1 Premiership team from Albany Creek will be just as good.

However, I feel the smokeys will be from BJRU Yellow - they are a Brothers/Easts centric team built around some of the best players from the top 3 u13 GPS teams in the comp this year, being NC, ACGS and GT. Some formidable ball playing forwards and fast outside backs. If their halves pairing deliver, they may surprise many.

I have seen the Gold Coast squad play a few games and the talent and the resources and length of lead up will also make this a very strong team in the comp. There appear to be some players from a R. League background that has hampered their continuity around the breakdown, but with a lot more games now under their belt they will have cleaned this up by the Champs and will be up with the best teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.