• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Finally the Gold Coast has introduced District and Regional Rep trials for school boy rugby at the U12s level. Unfortunately (as discussed earlier in this thread) not every school gets on board. In our situation it was a case where the school failed to notify students and parents.

Jack heard his team mates talking about school rep trials at training. We get home and do a bit of searching and find out that our 'District' has already had their trials. We approached our school the next day along with a South Coast School Sport representative. Our school knew nothing about it and in fact told me that they 'had' advertised the Reds program in their newsletter. Obviously referring to the Rookies to Reds program.

After a great deal of positive communication, our school has sort the correct information and was very apologetic, albeit it's too late for young Master Jack to try out. This experience has not been wasted as the school is now assigning a person responsible for District School Sports and has developed procedures for this not to happen again - across all sports, mind you. I congratulate them for that!!

Anyway... he is only in U11s and has next year to try out. Here's my new video highlights of this season with Jack at the Nerang Bulls U11s team. PS we are looking for any good U11 Brisbane Div 1 teams who are looking for a game if they have a bye and wanting a challenging game. Cheers and thanks for watching :)

PS.. just got word, he may have just received a wild card!

** Watch in 720pHD for best viewing **

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
I thought I would also share this team's highlights from last Saturday. They are a very well drilled and coached U11s team.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
U11s Bulls continue their winning ways - downing Palm Beach Alleygators 59-0. The score doesn't reflect the quality of the Alleygators team who I believe have yet to loose a game apart from also loosing to the Bulls earlier in the season. The gators have some very good players, however I think once the score board started ticking over in favour of the Bulls, a few heads went down within the gators forward pack and looked like they had had enough by half time.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
After the holiday break, the boys were looking forward to getting back into rugby. However a late suspicious change in the fixture saved one team from playing the Bulls, but left another to face the music. The 'other' decided at the last minute that they weren't going to able to field a team.

Perhaps GC Rugby could amend the second half of the season draw into a div 1 & 2 fixture (much like they did for the U12s and 13s). This would save moments like this where 'developing' teams wont have to play the harder teams. At the moment it is too unbalanced and I wouldn't blame those teams if they didn't want to play the undefeated Bulls.

Good news though, the Gold Coast Eagles U12s 'blue' team were on a 'bye' and graciously accepted the offer to play against the lower aged group U11s Bulls in a 'friendly'.

The game was played in great spirit and was very enjoyable to watch from a spectators perspective. It was a greatly needed hard game for the U11s who are wishing to prepare with hard games like these for their upcoming game against a touring NZ u11s team.

The U12s Eagles were a bit shell-shocked as the younger opponents scored an early try and by half time were up 21-10. The Eagles coach was very supportive of his stunned troops and rallied them together successfully to go on and win the game by scoring two late tries with an end score of 21-29.

Well done to both teams, coaches and spectators who witnessed what rugby is all about - Good spirited competitive fun.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Not sure if anyone is watching these highlights, but if anyone is; this weekend's game provided for some really good highlights as the young Bulls approach the end the season with a for and against of: 735-35 with one game to come.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Today marked the final round for many BJRU teams. Those 13 and over now to go into finals over the next three weeks. But I have heard no news where the finals venues will be and wonder if they will be neutral.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Have to make a comment on the debacle that has been the final rounds of the BJRU U6-U9 comp. The draw had us down as finishing on 10 August but in the week proceeding they added 3 extra rounds of competition. We now finish on 31 August. I have no issue with the length of the season but it has put into disarray trying to organise family life.

Maybe the BJRU should spend their time organising their competition, Their core business, instead of running all these auxiliary competitions and money makers.

While we are at it I struggle to understand why they are in such a strong financial position when they should just be administrating a competition. They seem to be making a lot of money while the junior clubs are struggling. Surely if they are doing so well they should cut the cost of playing for families?

On a positive not I do like what they have done with purchasing the jerseys for the U6-U9 teams for all the clubs. The problem this causes though is that clubs are in a weaker position when negotiating apparel deals with suppliers other than KooGa.

Q

Quakezone

Today marked the final round for many BJRU teams. Those 13 and over now to go into finals over the next three weeks. But I have heard no news where the finals venues will be and wonder if they will be neutral.
Redcliffe

Q

Quakezone

1st round of Brisbane Junior club rugby finals looks like a good rugby day at Redcliffe the U14 div 1 play offs look to be very strong with Albany Creek vs Sunnybank in the major semi two very strong sides

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Maybe the BJRU should spend their time organising their competition, Their core business, instead of running all these auxiliary competitions and money makers.

While we are at it I struggle to understand why they are in such a strong financial position when they should just be administrating a competition. They seem to be making a lot of money while the junior clubs are struggling. Surely if they are doing so well they should cut the cost of playing for families?.

Jets - in the upcoming State Champs the BJRU are charging each rep player around $400 for the privilege to represent their Brisbane region. The players get a jersey, shorts, socks and maybe some other piece of uniform.

Of course there are some other ancillary costs, but most of the manpower towards this is voluntary and the insurance costs should be covered in the annual memberships paid.

From the 18 or so teams selected from the 5 age groups in Brisbane the BJRU will gross $165k give or take. Jerseys and other gear would cost around $100 to $150 - let's say $150. With ancillary costs another $50 per player - that leaves a net take of $80k give or take...

Hopefully that money is put back into player (and coaching) development programmes.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
junior-gold-cup-plan-pdf.4060

Maybe the surplus monies that BJRU will have, as alluded to by Dark Shark, could be used to subsidise participation in the Junior Cold Cup Programme as outlined in the attached document from Top Cat.

It probably deserves some oxygen on this thread and is an interesting read if nothing else.

Thanks HJ. Concept looks good - but in QLD seems to be a Summer version of the State Champs.

Gees, I just got to the cost per player at $660 per head. I don't think the possible surplus funds mentioned above are subsidising this.

All adds up for a family when they are outlaying the club fees, the State Champs fee and now the JGS.

Heaven forbid these older junior players getting injured and having to fork out medical fees to get the boys back on to the field.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm not to keen for the surplus to go towards rep programs. I'm more comfortable with them supplying jerseys for all of the players or, heaven forbid, reducing the price of participation.

With the Junior Gold pathway being bolstered it is getting to the point where every player will make some sort of rep team. Families will have to priorities where they spend their rugby money and I think the state champs will suffer as a result of the competitive component of the Gold program.

It's great that they have said that they'd reduce the cost if a sponsor was secured but they don't have a great track record in this area. The Super comp doesn't have a sponsor, the Lions tour just managed an ARU sponsor before they landed and from memory our 7's teams don't have a sponsor. I think the ARU would prioritise these areas first. I personally see more value for the sponsor in the Gold Program but it is all dependant on the effort the ARU put in.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
1st round of Brisbane Junior club rugby finals looks like a good rugby day at Redcliffe the U14 div 1 play offs look to be very strong with Albany Creek vs Sunnybank in the major semi two very strong sides

Also same clubs battling it out for u13 Div 1. Great for a young junior club like Albany Creek.

But I do feel some of the bigger clubs need to grade properly at this level to lift their standard of competition. Have seen too many clubs take easy option of not grading resulting in some players being clearly out of depth and some very one sided scores.

I have had a few rants about this now but big scores do not keep the kids on the receiving end in the game and sometimes is skirting the edges of being unsafe. That is one of a few reasons there is a lack of retention at club level as the boys get older. Everything must be done to ensure clubs and teams are doing the right thing to have a "fair" comp and lay better foundation to keep boys staying in the game longer.

Q

Quakezone

Also same clubs battling it out for u13 Div 1. Great for a young junior club like Albany Creek.

But I do feel some of the bigger clubs need to grade properly at this level to lift their standard of competition. Have seen too many clubs take easy option of not grading resulting in some players being clearly out of depth and some very one sided scores.

I have had a few rants about this now but big scores do not keep the kids on the receiving end in the game and sometimes is skirting the edges of being unsafe. That is one of a few reasons there is a lack of retention at club level as the boys get older. Everything must be done to ensure clubs and teams are doing the right thing to have a "fair" comp and lay better foundation to keep boys staying in the game longer.
Although that U13 div 1 looks like there are only 4 or 5 teams competing in it, I was surprised to see one of the big clubs in Brisbane only field a team in U13 Div 2 where they are unbeaten by beating all the smaller clubs, clubs need to grade fairly especially the bigger ones otherwise the competition is a farce

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Grading can be a tricky issue for clubs. I understand the philosophy why some clubs do not grade but in the current climate it is at a point where if you want to play Div 1 the team should be graded.

The other issue with clubs not grading is that they loose players to other clubs and sports. A parent told me a couple of weeks ago that his sons age group lost all their talented players to the local league club because the rugby club didn't grade. This is resulting in weaker age groups and teams than would be in place if grading occurred.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)

My bad on this. Looks like Brothers pipped Albany Creek in this division on Sunday to nudge ahead for second place on the u13.1 table before the finals.

It is a bit sad when only five teams are contesting u13 Div 1. The gap between these teams and the other clubs is only large because of a lack of grading.

But the most important points above are around player retention. It seems as though those within the clubs are too close to see it or do anything about it. Intervention or a pathway from QRU etc would be a good step.

Q

Quakezone

My bad on this. Looks like Brothers pipped Albany Creek in this division on Sunday to nudge ahead for second place on the u13.1 table before the finals.

It is a bit sad when only five teams are contesting u13 Div 1. The gap between these teams and the other clubs is only large because of a lack of grading.

But the most important points above are around player retention. It seems as though those within the clubs are too close to see it or do anything about it. Intervention or a pathway from QRU etc would be a good step.
Only 5 teams contesting Division 1? is the gap between division 1 and division 2 in this age group that large? the BJRU should intervene and ensure good numbers in each division its a mighty effort from Albany Creek to get up there in U14 & U13 as I believe they are a smaller club - finals always produce great football

Status
Not open for further replies.