• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sadly the season is over for us on the GC but not over for me as the requests for individuals highlight reels start to come in :) I try to keep it quiet as I would have no life if all 20 boys wanted one.

However; I thought I would share some of them as I go along - so thanks for letting me post here. Like most teams; we have some very talented players and we probably have more than our fair share.

First up is our speedy winger/full back Zion 'Zoom Zoom'. Zion holds the record for being on the receiving end of a high tackle in every single match this year. None of those tackles were malice in anyway but I think we have just concluded that the boy changes direction so quickly and due to his lower center of gravity (ok, he's short), he cops his fair share of high hits. But to give him credit, he never whinged, complained or stayed-down. Tough little bugga.

Winger/Full Back: Zion 'Zoom Zoom.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
I read an interesting thread on the Norths Junior Rugby facebook site today https://www.facebook.com/NorthsJuniorRugby that everyones favourite player at Norths, Vuki (yes he did win the Premier Grade Rugby top scorer award by 11 tries), is to start training with the Reds extended playing squad on Monday. If this is correct this is a fantastic achievement for such an unassuming guy. I have never seen such rocket shoes as his in watching rugby for 20 or so years. I still think 7's is his game however well done to Vuki. BTW word is that the whole Wallabies squad (all 30) will be at Norths Rugby grounds on Sunday 1st September around 3pm when they host the BJRU semi finals. Maybe Vuki can be part of that squad in a couple of years.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Brothers have 3 or 4 U13 teams this year and had 2 i div 1 - however I believe one of them dropped out

Correct. They had players in that team that were capable of Div 1, but also other players who were probably Div 4 or Div 3 standard. Rather than grade properly and break up the team the choice was to go to the lower division after other teams were naturally targeting the weaker players / channels.

I can understand both sides of the equation. Keeping friends together and playing rugby with the mates you have always played rugby with is important. But when you hit 13 and the bodies start changing shape, some harder than others it begins to cause issues and somewhere the line has to be drawn in the sand and ensure that those who are up to it compete at the performance end and those that want to enjoy rugby can still do so against teams with players of around the same calibre.

Congrats to the teams that played the BJRU semis yesterday. A few upsets here and there. And that is what finals football is all about. Anything can happen on the day.

All sudden death preliminary finals next week with every division being represented (those with five or six teams played a normal round yesterday).

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Correct. They had players in that team that were capable of Div 1, but also other players who were probably Div 4 or Div 3 standard. Rather than grade properly and break up the team the choice was to go to the lower division after other teams were naturally targeting the weaker players / channels.

I had been up to Brissy a couple of times this year to watch my nephew play in that team and I totally agree with what you are saying. That's what divisions are for after all. My nephew loves his rugby but was clearly playing out of his depth in size and ability. I think rugby can and should be enjoyed by everyone who wishes to play, but only if they are matched up correctly otherwise you have the opposite effect. I know he started to 'hate' playing and I'm sure the more talented and competitive players would get frustrated as well.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Next highlights reel: The No.8

I think every good team needs a good No.8, something I feel the Wallabies are currently lacking. The need of a good No.8 (or dominate forward) was evident this year with our u11's. Although they were winning all their games, the coach wasn't happy with our forwards being on 'par' with the better teams. Nothing against our small forwards as they were performing briliantly, but the coach wanted more dominance in this area. However, getting a good No.8 is not easy thing to find in junior rugby.

We however had an easy solution, bring our big No.12 (see early highlights on previous page) back into the forward back - Jack played 8 last year in u10's and was a force to be reckoned with back then. At first he wasn't too happy about this move back to the forwards as he sees himself as a back (like most young boys) but he has been taught to play where the team needs him most and embraced his return to the back of the scrum.

All I can say from here is that the team have never looked better. The scoreboard reflected this and it also reflects the difference a good 8 can make to a team. By constantly getting across the advantage line, providing quick ball or linking to the backs as well as massive hits in defence, a good No.8 significantly contributes to making a team play well. Well done Jack winner of the Powerful Forwards Leader award.

Next week: The General at Fly Half (a player to watch for in the future)

Q

Quakezone

big BJRU weekend with Club preliminary finals at North's a must for Rugby heads with some great match ups in the age group division 1 finals.
U13 div 1
Albany Creek (3) Vs Brothers (2)
Sunnybank (1) Vs Ashgrove (4)
U14 div 1
Sunnybank (2) Vs Redlands (4) winner to play Albany Creek in the final
U15 div 1
Sunnybank (2) Vs Ashgrove(3)
Brothers (1) Vs East (4)

Great games particularly in the U15 age group

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Should be a great day of junior club rugby semi finals tomorrow at Norths. First game at 9am and last game commencing at 3.40pm. Highlight of the day will definitely be the entire Wallabies squad turning up at 2.30 - 3.00 for around one hour.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Aarghhhh!!!! Why don't we learn from our mistakes? BJRU and QRRA should have put their heads together before the finals match appointments last weekend.

By my count there were at least 3 match officials appointed to games for clubs they were associated with. It does not help the officials involved at all.

Unfortunately there was one game where events that occurred allow the question of bias to be raised. Now I don't believe that but the poor appointment has allowed this to occur.

Same thing has happened in the previous two grand finals days. Last year I went off about the 14.1 final because of almost exactly the same thing.

I would hope they get the appointments right this weekend so no one can accuse these great refs who give up their time and make the effort, of any bias.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Mistakes have been repeated. Just saw appointments for this weekend and there are at least three conflicts of interest in the ref and asst ref appointments that I know of.

The officials are quite good in my opinion, but the perception of bias may now arise if there is anything controversial during the match. It is not fair on the officials.

Unfortunately because of perception/reaction to calls from the crowd who usually know the refs club orgins it can cause too much sideline angst, which the players then pick up on and can lead to unsavoury incidents and dealings (verbal) with ref on the field.

I believe last year's Div14.1 match, particularly the last couple of minutes reflected this.

BJRU and QRRA should be aware of this and I believe could have arranged the appointments a little better. I hope that there is no controversy or perception of such.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sorry to break the flow of the discussion.

Our Half Back / Five Eighth (Oryaan) started the year at no.9 and was later moved to 10.

Oryaan is an outstanding player who was good enough as an u11's player to make the u12's South Coast Region Team at Half Back. The team went on to play in this years u12's State Championships at Goondiwindi in August.

Oryaan receive two Player of the Match awards (determined by the opposition coaches) and then went on to be awarded 'Player of The Championships' Amazing effort for an u11's player to achieve this amongst some very talented players!!! I was unable to attend, but it would have been fantastic to film the action there - apparently there were some very big boys. Met North ended up winning the Championship - well done to their team who I hear were very well drilled.

Here are the highlights of Oryaan's season with our undefeated u11's Nerang Bulls team for 2013.

Q

Quakezone

Mistakes have been repeated. Just saw appointments for this weekend and there are at least three conflicts of interest in the ref and asst ref appointments that I know of.

The officials are quite good in my opinion, but the perception of bias may now arise if there is anything controversial during the match. It is not fair on the officials.

Unfortunately because of perception/reaction to calls from the crowd who usually know the refs club orgins it can cause too much sideline angst, which the players then pick up on and can lead to unsavoury incidents and dealings (verbal) with ref on the field.

I believe last year's Div14.1 match, particularly the last couple of minutes reflected this.

BJRU and QRRA should be aware of this and I believe could have arranged the appointments a little better. I hope that there is no controversy or perception of such.
Yes remember that U14 final last year I think two brothers players were sent off in the last 5 minutes with the game in the balance a penalty was reversed close to the goal line and Sunnybank got the match winning try ... That was a very strong brothers team that have yet to win a GF and I think those two teams meet up again in this years final...its disappointing but in finals football there should never be any room to question an offiicials decision

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
I saw this boy play in Goondiwindi - by the way my boy participated in that carnival as an inside centre he is only 11 years old, there were a few 11 year olds in the carnival - Met North 1st Met west 2nd Met East 3rd by the way Met East and Met north never met in the carnival and Met east defeated South coast twice so the draw was a little strange

Well done to your boy for making his region's team. I'm sure there were a number of 11yo's playing. Some of which will be turning 12 this year and are u12's and some who will turn 12 next year and are currently u11's.

Regardless, I was suggesting how well Oryaan played as an u11's player and that he received the Player of Championship and not that he was the only 11yo there. I have to qualify that this award was for the South Coast region team and not for the over-all award. Not sure they even had one for that(??).

I guess tournaments based on the using 'pool' system will always have that problem about who plays who - but at the end of the day; you have to be able to beat all teams to win the event.

We're looking forward to next year as we believe the South Coast will have a very strong team - pending a good selection outcome :)

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Q

Quakezone

Well done to your boy for making his region's team. I'm sure there were a number of 11yo's playing. Some of which will be turning 12 this year and are u12's and some who will turn 12 next year and are currently u11's.

Regardless, I was suggesting how well Oryaan played as an u11's player and that he received the Player of Championship and not that he was the only 11yo there. I have to qualify that this award was for the South Coast region team and not for the over-all award. Not sure they even had one for that(??).

I guess tournaments based on the using 'pool' system will always have that problem about who plays who - but at the end of the day; you have to be able to beat all teams to win the event.

We're looking forward to next year as we believe the South Coast will have a very strong team - pending a good selection outcome :)

Anyway, thanks for your reply.
It was a great carnival, sorry when I mentioned 11 year olds I meant boys turning 12 next year there were a number in the MET sides that I know of - I agree you have to be able to beat everyone and anyone to win the tournament and Met North had a very good side - By the way the boy you mentioned played very well

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
It was a great carnival, sorry when I mentioned 11 year olds I meant boys turning 12 next year there were a number in the MET sides that I know of - I agree you have to be able to beat everyone and anyone to win the tournament and Met North had a very good side -

Yeah, I heard there was a really good atmosphere down there. Seems like all the boys really enjoyed themselves.

Ahh yes, those u11 boys will take great experience from it and will set them well for next year! Was your boy in the Met East team?

We're looking forward to next year and hope it's another fun and competitive event for the boys. It's great that they can finally get some rep experience at this age group in Rugby (first time in union at u12) - although I hear there were plenty of League players making the teams as well.

Pitty they don't have Qld rep until u15's. League starts in state reps at 12's (I think).

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Yeah, I heard there was a really good atmosphere down there. Seems like all the boys really enjoyed themselves.

Ahh yes, those u11 boys will take great experience from it and will set them well for next year! Was your boy in the Met East team?

We're looking forward to next year and hope it's another fun and competitive event for the boys. It's great that they can finally get some rep experience at this age group in Rugby (first time in union at u12) - although I hear there were plenty of League players making the teams as well.

Pitty they don't have Qld rep until u15's. League starts in state reps at 12's (I think).
If you want to test your side send them to The Armidale School rugby tournament in April 2014. It is open to Primary School/Club Teams aged 11 or 12 years old at the time of the carnival. Over 1,000 kids and 48 teams with teams from all over NSW and Qld. It is open to both club and school teams, with some very strong club teams out of Sydney although the last 3 winning teams have come from Padua, TSS and Churchie. This is possibly the best run school boy carnival I have ever attended. Be warned if you want to go book accommodation now.

Q

Quakezone

Not sure about the comp on the Gold Coast, but the BJRU comp in U11 division 1 was very strong and competitive nobody went through unbeaten and on any given day any of the top 5 teams could beat each other it was that close in fact there was not much in it between the top 5 teams in U11 - The U11 division 2 teams were also quite strong - however with no finals series in the BJRU comp until 13 wouldn't it be great if the top Brisbane/Gold coast/sunshine coast teams played off in U11 and U12s, that would give clubs something to aspire to for the end of the season...

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
If you want to test your side send them to The Armidale School rugby tournament in April 2014. It is open to Primary School/Club Teams aged 11 or 12 years old at the time of the carnival. Over 1,000 kids and 48 teams with teams from all over NSW and Qld. It is open to both club and school teams, with some very strong club teams out of Sydney although the last 3 winning teams have come from Padua, TSS and Churchie. This is possibly the best run school boy carnival I have ever attended. Be warned if you want to go book accommodation now.

Oh great.. thanks for the info. Sounds like a fantastic event. I'll look it up.
Cheers :)

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Not sure about the comp on the Gold Coast, but the BJRU comp in U11 division 1 was very strong and competitive nobody went through unbeaten and on any given day any of the top 5 teams could beat each other it was that close in fact there was not much in it between the top 5 teams in U11 - The U11 division 2 teams were also quite strong - however with no finals series in the BJRU comp until 13 wouldn't it be great if the top Brisbane/Gold coast/sunshine coast teams played off in U11 and U12s, that would give clubs something to aspire to for the end of the season.

That would be a great idea! Yeah, to be honest; we don't necessarily like winning all our games, especially so easily. It's not good for the boys and it sets unrealistic expectations about rugby and themselves as players. And I don't mean any disrespect to the other GC teams. There are many really good players in most of the other teams, but due to the lack of numbers and divisions, many 'developing' players also play in those teams (ours included). So there are many holes and weaknesses. I think we had 4 good teams and 4 'developing' teams.

We really need harder games, so next year we will be contacting clubs in Brisbane regarding their u12's team and making our team available should any of their D1 or D2 teams have a bye and want to play a game - that would be fantastic.

We play our club games on Saturday and I understand that Brissy club play on Sunday so we could play against any team who have a bye on that Sunday. The focus would be to allow the boys to play good competitive rugby regardless of who wins. We aren't here to prove we are the best as that is foolish - it's more about developing our younglings.

However, I love your end of season comp idea (now that's a different story - I can imagine every team will be out to prove their worth in that!!). We are after all Queenlanders and we should be supporting each other around the regions to make for strong up and coming players. :)

Q

Quakezone

That would be a great idea! Yeah, to be honest; we don't necessarily like winning all our games, especially so easily. It's not good for the boys and it sets unrealistic expectations about rugby and themselves as players. And I don't mean any disrespect to the other GC teams. There are many really good players in most of the other teams, but due to the lack of numbers and divisions, many 'developing' players also play in those teams (ours included). So there are many holes and weaknesses. I think we had 4 good teams and 4 'developing' teams.

We really need harder games, so next year we will be contacting clubs in Brisbane regarding their u12's team and making our team available should any of their D1 or D2 teams have a bye and want to play a game - that would be fantastic.

We play our club games on Saturday and I understand that Brissy club play on Sunday so we could play against any team who have a bye on that Sunday. The focus would be to allow the boys to play good competitive rugby regardless of who wins. We aren't here to prove we are the best as that is foolish - it's more about developing our younglings.

However, I love your end of season comp idea (now that's a different story - I can imagine every team will be out to prove their worth in that!!). We are after all Queenlanders and we should be supporting each other around the regions to make for strong up and coming players. :)
I think you should try and organise some pre season games for your U12 side it would kind of be like touring where a Brisbane club side could travel to the gold coast and then return the favour the following week before both seasons get started with hosting clubs running a BBQ for the boys at the end of the game, I have actually been looking at getting something like this together for sometime

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think you should try and organise some pre season games for your U12 side it would kind of be like touring where a Brisbane club side could travel to the gold coast and then return the favour the following week before both seasons get started with hosting clubs running a BBQ for the boys at the end of the game, I have actually been looking at getting something like this together for sometime
Good idea! If your team is interested in playing some pre season games next year, could you let me know the best person to talk (if not you) about organising this. Feel free to send me a message - even if it's just to touch base and we'll sort something out.

BBQ sounds great as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.