• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waradog

Stan Wickham (3)
Big turn out. Fair few U15's playing up in 16's this year and with no U15's at the State Champs this was there opportunity for BJRU rep rugby.

Also had the U16 City coaching staff running their eye of everything as well and they watched the boys go through skills sessions and about an hour of trial games.

Two sides will be named this week with training looking to start next week and from what I saw they will both be strong sides

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Can anyone point me to the QJRU State Champs Draw that is supposed to be held this weekend. I have searched and searched and searched and cannot find anything.

It may be a case of typical male blindness. I hope it is not a fall down in communication from the QJRU!!

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Good luck to all competing today and over the weekend in the QJRU State Champs down at TSS

This used to generate a little bit of chat over the years but seems very quiet this year. Is it because there are no u15's and u17's age groups? Is it because the BJRU teams seem to be less "regional" this year? Is it because it is down the Gold Coast? Is it the timing within the middle of a season (which has not occurred for around four years)?

If I was a betting man, which luckily I am not because I am such a terrible tipster ;-) I would be putting my money on:-

u13 Brisbane Blue
u14 Brisbane Pink (Last year's winning Gold Coast teams may have been diluted a little with two teams being named for the first time)
u16 Brisbane Blue

City and Country teams for the above age groups will be selected after the Champs to play the following week at Suncorp as a curtain raiser to the Reds v Waratahs. Looking forward to it.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Good luck to all competing today and over the weekend in the QJRU State Champs down at TSS

This used to generate a little bit of chat over the years but seems very quiet this year. Is it because there are no u15's and u17's age groups? Is it because the BJRU teams seem to be less "regional" this year? Is it because it is down the Gold Coast? Is it the timing within the middle of a season (which has not occurred for around four years)?

If I was a betting man, which luckily I am not because I am such a terrible tipster ;-) I would be putting my money on:-

u13 Brisbane Blue
u14 Brisbane Pink (Last year's winning Gold Coast teams may have been diluted a little with two teams being named for the first time)
u16 Brisbane Blue

City and Country teams for the above age groups will be selected after the Champs to play the following week at Suncorp as a curtain raiser to the Reds v Waratahs. Looking forward to it.
Gold Coast have picked squads of 46 in all age groups and have had selected two 'even' teams from there. So basically, the best players are spread out between the Gold and Blue teams. I can only speak of the u12's and know this has left a lot of holes in both the Gold and Blue teams, but I believe they have a long term development plan in mind by giving more boys experience at rep level.

I've filmed the u14's GC Gold vs Bris Pink game today and will film all GC u14's Gold and GC u12's Gold games over the next two days. If your team has or will play either of these two teams and you wish for a copy of the game, feel free to let me know and I'll post you a copy.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
how's everyone's numbers this year? My club seems down 70-80 on last year. That's pretty damn significant! Fees haven't increased (perhaps a few dollars) so perhaps its more a general apathy to rugby?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
My oldest son has chosen to play soccer this year and their fees are higher. From all the sports I have been involved with at club level with kids rugby still seems to be quite cheep.

I do feel there is a general disinterest in rugby at the moment. It will be hard work at Rugby HQ as a RWC year should be a high point on the cycle.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Brothers U12 will have 4 teams and a waiting list. U13 two team and U14 one team. U15 no team, U16 one team. Think that is about it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So I coach one of my boys' teams. The Under 10 one, so this is the first year of almost full field and with contested scrums and lineouts etc.

I was wary (and nervous to be frank) about getting kids to play in the front row and how their parents might react etc. We don't have a big team by any stretch of the imagination. We have one boy who is 'rounder' than the others, so he is an obvious prop. No one else stands out.

I was giving a bit of a brief to the parents at the first training, however, just basically explaining the scrums are more serious this year and that, as a former prop, I will be very aware of who I pick to play there and ensuring they are up to it etc. Anyway a couple of dad's came up to me afterwards and said thanks and that they expected to their lad to be a prop anyway. One was the aforementioned rounder lad, the other was a more unassuming lad. By no means big, but not tiny Not tall, but not short. So I was surprised, but if a parent is ok with it I am ok with it.

We had a really good first scrummaging session on Friday night, with these two lads at prop (and another rookie at hooker) and I was really happy with how we looked etc.

Anyway, it gets to our first game on Sunday morning, just a trial match. We play well, and I'm really happy with how its all going. Anyway, this other/surprise prop is having a break on the sideline and I am getting him ready to go back on. It's a trial, and I want to give everyone a chance, so I ask him if he'd like to have a go at Number 8 at all. And he says "no thanks coach, I'd like go back to prop please".

How good is that!

He has now surpassed my son as my favourite player in the team.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
You've got to love Kids rugby. They boys are full of surprises. Great to get out to watch the season kick off again.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hi Tashara
I see the latest BJRU draw sees the Nerang 13 team playing in the Brisbane comp? thats great looks like a strong team..
Hi Iceman,

Yes, we were hoping for an opportunity like this and have been asked to play in the Grading Games. I haven't received word back if this means we are actually in the competition yet or if we have just been given an chance to trial and they'll decided based on our performance. Which is fair enough.

It's very exciting and all the boys are pumped. We played our first Grading Game on Sunday against Souths (Black). Nervous start but finished well in the second half. Myself, the boys, parents and coach loved the level of competition.

I'm currently uploading the highlights to youtube as we speak and they'll be ready tomorrow morning, so I'll post the link. It was a great game, which always makes for good highlights :)

Stay tuned!!

Status
Not open for further replies.