• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Looks like a very competitive Div 1 & Div 2 in the 13s. The14s and 15s have GC teams included in the Div 1 so hard to tell who will be frontrunners, I would put my $$$ on Sunnybank they are historically strong through the juniors - I will be catching some club football this weekend should be some high quality games.
Yes, we at Nerang are expecting tough games in the u13's each week. So it's going to be good for the boys to learn to play hard games week-in/week-out, something they haven't been use to. And something that we definitely wanted them to get use to. Thanks Brisbane for the competition!!

Q

Quakezone

Yes, we at Nerang are expecting tough games in the u13's each week. So it's going to be good for the boys to learn to play hard games week-in/week-out, something they haven't been use to. And something that we definitely wanted them to get use to. Thanks Brisbane for the competition!!

Welcome to the Brisbane comp, looking at your highlight reels you guys should go pretty well, who you guys matched up with this weekend?

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Welcome to the Brisbane comp, looking at your highlight reels you guys should go pretty well, who you guys matched up with this weekend?
Thanks, just so long as we don't get too many injuries we'll be fine. The bench is a bit thin at the moment. We have Brothers this weekend and really don't know anything about them other than Brothers is generally a strong club. So we expect a hard game.

R

Rugby Spirit

Any commentary/reviews on the first round of Junior club rugby in Brisbane? Who watched what? 15s, 14s, 13s?

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Looks like U14 Div 1 is a good Comp. Two Draws GPS V Surfers and Albany Creek V Sunnybank. Easts just down to Wests.
Div 2 appears to be the same but Souths who dropped back from Div 1 last year could have everyone's measure.

U13 Div 1 Big wins by Easts and Nerang
@tashara do you have a game report?

U12 Div 1 most games pretty close in the scores and looks to be a good competition.
Div 2 most game close although a huge win to Norths over Brothers. Norths will be happy with that one.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sadly I have no video footage of the Nerang game this week. My camera became ill and sadly didn't make it out of the shop alive. However it's a good opportunity to upgrade.

So by now I would have normally watched the game a number of times and have a very good feel of what happened but alas, I'm left to speak about it from a first view side line perspective. A perspective I didn't really enjoy because I totally felt out of place pacing up and down the sidelines wishing I was viewing the game through my little screen.

First game of the season. Not much training over the break period for the Bulls. Many boys coming back from injury, some still carrying them and others still seemed to be in holiday mode for the first half of the game. And it showed for patches of that first 25 minutes. Some uncharacteristic drop ball (the windy conditions may have contributed to failed long ball passes and catches). However, it didn't take long before Nerang started putting points on the board. I thought Brothers held out well early on and made some great turnovers when under pressure which prevented the score board blowing out in the first half.

Some good broken play by brothers, but that appeared to be the only way they were going to penetrate the defense, however they failed to capitialise on those rare attacking moments. Brothers didn't have the possession long in the Bulls 22 even after having a set piece. The ball was quickly turned over and driven back down the field with big nasty centres in hot pursuit.

Power try to Bulls Hooker who is simply referred to as 'Beast Mode', short stocky tree trunk legs powering in as fast as his bulk will allow - very much like watching a bowling ball heading towards its pins.

I think the score was 19-0 at half time and Brothers were now going to get the slightly down/across field wind advantage in the second half. But that wasn't going to help. Nerang forwards received a bit of a roasting from the Bulls coach about loosing ball when in attack and that didn't happen in the second half. Brothers didn't help their chances by repeatedly coming in from the side, being off side or diving over the ball. The Brothers supporters didn't like the calls, but it looked pretty obvious from where I was standing.

But I will admit there was a very unfair yellow card given to a Brothers player for lifting in a tackle. We did mention to a Brothers person before the game that this would happen. We've had this ref before and we've received a yellow and red in separate games for debatable lifting tackles. The young ref stopped playing a couple of years ago due to a significant neck injury from a spear tackle, so I understand why he is punishing anything remotely looking like a player has been lifted in the tacklel. But, unlucky Brothers!!!

Regardless, you can't give Nerang that many penalties and get away with it. Nerang 10 had a great attacking game. The ball didn't get passed him that often as it wasn't really needed out wider as he seemed to be doing a lot of damage by himself. There was still some great ball movement when it did go wide; a nice wide blind side move with quick hands and flat passes saw the ball end up in our little wingers hands and away he went, only to be collar slung over the side line. Penalty 10m out, 9 calls on 13 for quick tap and go and not even the ready and waiting Brothers pack were going to stop that - TRY.

Brothers did have their moments. They found themselves attaching on the Bulls line for a number of phases, but the standard forward pick and drive on the line didn't work. Quick turnover, ball movement out to 10 who decided he'll work his way through the Brothers team for a length of the field try.

All in all, satisfying run for Nerang. We understand that Brothers were hoping to play in Division 2 this year but I hope they continue to fight on. I think they are that team that could be caught between the divisions; too good for div 2, but maybe not up to div 1. Not the top teams anyway, but not every team can be the best - they just have to be the best they can be. Heads up & fight on, I say :)

R

Rugby Spirit

Looks like U14 Div 1 is a good Comp. Two Draws GPS V Surfers and Albany Creek V Sunnybank. Easts just down to Wests.
Div 2 appears to be the same but Souths who dropped back from Div 1 last year could have everyone's measure.

U12 Div 1 most games pretty close in the scores and looks to be a good competition.
Div 2 most game close although a huge win to Norths over Brothers. Norths will be happy with that one.

Some good 15 div 1 teams as well, Sunnybank look good in this age group some big lads...GC also have some strong teams in the age group

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Lifting and the confusion of what is and what isn't is an issue in the Junior Ranks.

So long as the boys stay down with their body drive after contact and don't release their hips and stand ....it's all good. 9.99 times out of 10 in this type of tackle the attacker won't tip past the 180 and it will just be a good old fashioned hard tackle.

Some boys cop the cheese though for the sight and sound of what is legitimate hard defense.

R

Rugby Spirit

Surprised with the East V Sunnybank score in the 13s...the bank are normally strong in this age group ditto Brothers V Nerang, great game review @Tashara

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
@Tashara Thanks for the review. Sorry to hear about the camera. Look forward to hearing about your team during the season.
RS Yes Sunnybank usually step up from U13 onward. Maybe had some players away.

I

iceman

Surprised with the East V Sunnybank score in the 13s.the bank are normally strong in this age group ditto Brothers V Nerang, great game review @Tashara

I believe both Sunnybank and Brothers lost key players to other clubs this year

I

iceman

Lifting and the confusion of what is and what isn't is an issue in the Junior Ranks.

So long as the boys stay down with their body drive after contact and don't release their hips and stand ..it's all good. 9.99 times out of 10 in this type of tackle the attacker won't tip past the 180 and it will just be a good old fashioned hard tackle.

Some boys cop the cheese though for the sight and sound of what is legitimate hard defense.

Agree, it is confusing for juniors, especially where some boys get coached to lift the opponents knee when tackling and this can sometimes lead to a "Tip"

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Wet weather weekend. I wonder how many games will go ahead. Will change some results I think. Keep it in the forwards and pick and drive. Flyhalf hoof it down the paddock and chase. Swan dives from 10 meters out to score.
Hope the kids get a chance to enjoy wet weather rugby. :D

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Dry weekend coming up. U12 Development teams being selected at GPS on Sunday. Good match ups in U14 Div 1. Home teams may just sneak in with a bit of travel fatigue.
Albany Creek V GPS
Wests V Surfers
Easts V Sunnybank.
U13
Going to be some important games in this Div as well.
Easts v GPS
Brothers v Sunnybank
Riverside v Nerang
Ipswich v Souths

Good luck to all.

R

Rugby Spirit

These should great matchups....

U15
Sunnybank V Albany Creek
U14
Albany Creek V GPS