• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree they are in Super Rugby but is the same punishment framework to be rolled out across the board?

Unfortunately some of those incidents are still popping up through the grades. I understand different governing bodies hand down punishments depending on the competition but you'd want alignment.

I think the disciplinary guidelines in regulation 17 are utilised across rugby. I'm not aware of there being any different reference to be used but I also don't have any direct involvement in the community game.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
There's no great need to more substantially deter the headbutt or elbow seen in the Drua vs Rebels game. They are already vanishingly rare.

McReight's tackle is something that happens frequently that absolutely causes concussions. This is why they're being dealt with in the way they are and not just written off as a tackle that went a bit wrong anymore.

Just to add to this, the headbutt was assessed in the context of Regulation 17

17.18 Assessment of seriousness of the Foul Play
(g) the effect of the Player’s actions on the victim (for example, extent of injury, removal of victim Player from the game);

For the headbut, the judical panel assessed it as lower-end striking. Which means even more mitigation than normal can be applied (how you end up at 2 weeks)

In contrast, for McReight, World Rugby have mandated that high tackles that result in head contact must start at mid-range because they recognise these tackles must be removed from the game, and need additional penalties. So no low-end mitigation available

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
How does the Reds pack shape up now with Uru & McReight gone? Blyth into the Row, Wright at 7 with Brial or Bryant at 6? Tate is as big a part of how they link up as well.

Uru and McReight shape a lot of the play along with Wilson, but do they go into a more traditional style of play with less short passing?

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Big losses, I'm happy the upcoming game is at suncorp cause if it was on the road we'd be completely screwed. Blyth or Daly into the second row with the other on the bench, Bryant into 7 with Brial on the bench, Thomas into 9 with Werchon on the bench. If Flook is injured then Annan to come in or Petaia to shuffle to 13. Who knows, this might be a good opportunity to test some depth considering the only major changes we've had to our starting lineup all year have been to the props and 10.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Reds will be fine, the 'Landers got belted by the Rebels who in turn got belted by the Reds. Might not be pretty but you'll bring it home, 'Landers have really no names.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Uru is a big loss. Younger guys will come in.

1 Hodgman / Ravai
2 Faessler
3 Nonggorr / JTA
4 Smith
5 Blyth
6 Bryant
7 Wright
8 Wilson

16 Nasser
17 Ravai / Hodgman
18 JTA / Nonggorr
19 Daly
20 Brial

Vest and Anderson both options too but don't think either are really ready just yet.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Exactly what Brad would do. Have we got any new ideas?? Same old same old… no plan B
Yeh wild. Have a lock play lock and a hyrbid lock/6 play 6. Disastrous approach.

But if that is too ridiculous for you, then the other option (which I agree is completely revolutionary) is to replace Mcreight directly. Anderson is in the squad as a 7, Bryant as a utility and Brial as an 8. Put one of them in. Thorn would never have thought of that!

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I am not a huge fan of 'damage inflicted' being a key driver for the punishment. How is that a deterrent on foul play?

I may as well take a swing at someone and hopefully it hurts them, but not too much cause then I won't get a big punishment...
I have always thought the penalty should be added on to any time off for injury the player has, this way the severity is included.

An example may be McReight gets 2 weeks for what he did, if the player had concussion symptoms and is out for 6 weeks then his 2 week suspension would start in 6 weeks time.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I have always thought the penalty should be added on to any time off for injury the player has, this way the severity is included.

An example may be McReight gets 2 weeks for what he did, if the player had concussion symptoms and is out for 6 weeks then his 2 week suspension would start in 6 weeks time.
Does Jordy Barrett never get to play again after concussing Dane Haylett Perry with his elbow in 2020 Bled, resulting in a year long battle to recover and ultimately retiring due to the brain injury?

I could get behind this