• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All he really adds is aerial skills. That’s his point of difference. Other than that he’s really replaceable.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
At this stage, who's left to replace him?

You've got Vunivalu, Grealy, Ryan and Aubrey to cover the wings at this stage of the season.

Grealy and Ryan have taken their moments this year but geez a backline of; Lynagh, Grealy, Hunter, Flook, Ryan and Campbell would be an average weight of 80kg in the wet.

Henry and Petaia's injuries are very costly for the composition of the backline.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Agree Ignoto - but that said he isn’t exactly using his size to make a physical impact to often. Can’t really comment too much on Aubrey - he was on a bit of a hiding to nothing last night in his short time on the field but Vunivalu still looks well in front of him. But I would be inclined drop him to the bench at least and start Ryan & Grealy.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
All he really adds is aerial skills. That’s his point of difference. Other than that he’s really replaceable.
Is that skill really worth it? when he took one catch only that I recall in the whole match and that, I think, didn't eventuate with points. Reds now have two or three wingers better than Vulivanu.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is that skill really worth it? when he took one catch only that I recall in the whole match and that, I think, didn't eventuate with points. Reds now have two or three wingers better than Vulivanu.

no which is why I said that's all he has and that he's replaceable.

Kiss said from pre-season that he's got some players lined up for next year. I look forward to seeing who they are. Still lots to play for this season obviously but the squad needs some sharpening without a doubt.

Reds Rick

Stan Wickham (3)
no which is why I said that's all he has and that he's replaceable.

Kiss said from pre-season that he's got some players lined up for next year. I look forward to seeing who they are. Still lots to play for this season obviously but the squad needs some sharpening without a doubt.
On that note and without knowing who Les has lined up, if recruiting to bolster the squad where do you think the best value could be added?

My wishlist would be getting hold of a high quality lock - I think our current guys are good especially Blyth if he can string a body of games together, just want some more size and depth in the pack. Additionally think they might need to look at recruiting for size in the back line depending on what happens with Jordie Petaia.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Missed Jaybor - what was he doing? I thought Joey Lala was great. Natural enthusiasum.

Jaybor got married, had a kid and floated into some more back office orientated stuff for PAC and another media organisation I believe.

Has been very quiet across most socials and media outlets for a while compared to his usual antics, but seems to be surfacing again.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think Vunivalu has been too bad this season (this is different to being good), with a fully fit squad he would not be in my match day squad but he has been a lot better with Kiss as coach. He is better this season than he was last year, and this is a positive. It is a shame that his starting point was low.

His drop of the ball was terrible, but the Reds have blown plenty of tries this year through dropped balls that should have been caught or poor decisions yet nobody calls for them to immediately be dropped.

Red Twist

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't think Vunivalu has been too bad this season (this is different to being good), with a fully fit squad he would not be in my match day squad but he has been a lot better with Kiss as coach. He is better this season than he was last year, and this is a positive. It is a shame that his starting point was low.

His drop of the ball was terrible, but the Reds have blown plenty of tries this year through dropped balls that should have been caught or poor decisions yet nobody calls for them to immediately be dropped.
It's more about the cluelessness in defence and a fair amount of lumbering about like an under 8s kid on the first game of the season.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
There is obviously a reason for it, but I’m a bit lost on it.
I’m not sure there’s actually a reason apart from the fact that the team isn’t able to create opportunities to get him the ball with space.

Hes clearly been told that workrate is important so out of frustration and necessity he‘s spending a lot of at the breakdown.

One positive is that he actually makes an effort to get involved- he’s not intuitive/ doesn’t understand the game well enough to do that in the back line so he has to hit rucks. Compare that Marmy Mark whos having a poor season and making little effort.

Regardless he’s a good ball runner in space, the Reds need to use that.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
In my opinion he has been reasonable this season, if he was a club player who was promoted I think people would be satisfied with the performance, but he was a high profile player lured over initially on big money so the benchmark is naturally higher.

Whichever way you cut it, athletically he doesn’t have the same speed or acceleration he did back in his Melbourne Storm days, whatever the issue is with his hamstrings they’ve taken a toll on him. And if you’re an outside back who’s lost your speed you need to be very good at running lines and workrate in other areas.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In my opinion he has been reasonable this season, if he was a club player who was promoted I think people would be satisfied with the performance, but he was a high profile player lured over initially on big money so the benchmark is naturally higher.

Whichever way you cut it, athletically he doesn’t have the same speed or acceleration he did back in his Melbourne Storm days, whatever the issue is with his hamstrings they’ve taken a toll on him. And if you’re an outside back who’s lost your speed you need to be very good at running lines and workrate in other areas.
And don't forget he was parachuted into the Wallabies when he hadn't earnt a spot (nor has he now). I think that's what leaves a sour taste in other (and most likely some of the Reds fans) teams' followers.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The tide seems to be turning with the fans a bit, according to statistics there were approx. 16k in attendance on Saturday night. The Sunday arvo Dolphins v Knights game only drew 18k through the gates.

It has been a while since the Reds have beaten attendance numbers of any NRL team playing at Suncorp so we are climbing there and hopefully we get close to 20k for the Rebels game in a few weeks.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The tide seems to be turning with the fans a bit, according to statistics there were approx. 16k in attendance on Saturday night. The Sunday arvo Dolphins v Knights game only drew 18k through the gates.

It has been a while since the Reds have beaten attendance numbers of any NRL team playing at Suncorp so we are climbing there and hopefully we get close to 20k for the Rebels game in a few weeks.
Bit of a pity it's the Rebels and the Force as the remaining home games as they don't traditionally draw as many. Rebels might be a bit different this year with everything going on there though.

The Blues and Highlanders games have definitely generated some buzz though. A win against the crusaders would probably do a lot to drive that home.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
It's more about the cluelessness in defence and a fair amount of lumbering about like an under 8s kid on the first game of the season.
It'd be interesting to know much of this "cluelessness" comes from never having a settled man inside of Vunivalu. I lost track on Saturday who moved to 13 when Flook went off, but between all the injuries, that change would have been close to the 4th or 5th different person Vunivalu has had on his inside.

Plenty of ex-players and Darwin talk about knowing how the person inside and outside of you plays. The constant shuffling of blokes in those positions wouldn't help I'd imagine.