• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Anyone got a read on him? As Wilson said, appears to have come across from NZ to Nudgee this year. Plays for Sunnybank too it seems

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looks like he's a powerful young back, in the mould of Petaia:

And based on the account that posted that I think he might be the son of former Samoan international Junior Poluleuligaga. Also looks like he might be at Nudgee these days which fits the blazer. Has anyone seen him play?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Are there any more rules about Aus qualified? It felt like Rebels and WF got dispensation because they were the ugly, untalented children but now Reds too. Is it just the 3 props? Any other ineligible players?
There was an article a while ago with the limits per team, I think it was 4 foreign players for the Reds/tahs/Brumbies and something like 8 for the Rebels and Force. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I was almost right, these are the current allowances for foreign players:
Australian teams already allow for foreign players, with different caps at the Force (8), Rebels (6) and NSW, Brumbies and Queensland (4). An entirely open player market would have the potential to reduce opportunities for Australian players, however.

From here:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Looks like he's a powerful young back, in the mould of Petaia:

And based on the account that posted that I think he might be the son of former Samoan international Junior Poluleuligaga. Also looks like he might be at Nudgee these days which fits the blazer. Has anyone seen him play?
yes his dad is a coach/manager at Sunnybank Rugby, they only came over from Auckland start of this year.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Good to see the Reds distributing players to the clubs who need a hand. Hopefully they get allocated a couple of academy players as well who will play significant minutes during the season.

Getting Reds players is only part of the solution, these clubs need depth to be competitive and attract more talent naturally.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
eligibility aside Toomaga-Allen is a good signing, he is a strong THP scrummager and will help the scrum massively. Too many times this year it just crumbled and gave up penalties/possession.

With Toomaga-Allen it lets also Ravai go back to LHP, now the match-day front row looks half decent:

LHP:
Ravai
Hodgman
Fa’agase

THP:
Nongorr
Toomaga-Allen
De Lutiis

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
eligibility aside Toomaga-Allen is a good signing, he is a strong THP scrummager and will help the scrum massively. Too many times this year it just crumbled and gave up penalties/possession.

With Toomaga-Allen it lets also Ravai go back to LHP, and match-day front row looks half decent:

LHP:
Ravai
Hodgman
Fa’agase

THP:
Nongorr
Toomaga-Allen
De Lutiis
Yeah, Toomaga-Allen has made a huge difference to the Samoan scrum, should be an absolute weapon for us.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Now just need to work on lock depth. Not sure if there are any Aussie eligible players around the place, otherwise we might have to use another OS spot.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Now just need to work on lock depth. Not sure if there are any Aussie eligible players around the place, otherwise we might have to use another OS spot.
Definitely. With a decent lock your pack is getting formidable.

Any news on replacement for Daugunu? Starting backline is class but depth is surface thin. Though not sure how you arrange all the pieces.

Questions for me:
- Lyangh needs time in the saddle at 10 and JO'C has been going well at 12 but you don't need centres. Who's your flyhalf?
- Similar for Flook, good enough to be starting but where?

10. JO'C 12. Paisami 13. Petaia 11/14 Flook/Vunivalu 15. Campbell

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I suspect Lynagh will be 10 when fit. JOC (James O'Connor) is there to guide so will mix his time between 12 and 22. Paisami showing glimpses of how good he can be at 12.

No announcements in the outside backs but would think young Tim Ryan will get a shot. Grealy and probably moreso Aubrey's spots will be under pressure. I also assume Henry and Anan will bulk up centre (utility) depth.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Definitely. With a decent lock your pack is getting formidable.

Any news on replacement for Daugunu? Starting backline is class but depth is surface thin. Though not sure how you arrange all the pieces.

Questions for me:
- Lyangh needs time in the saddle at 10 and JO'C has been going well at 12 but you don't need centres. Who's your flyhalf?
- Similar for Flook, good enough to be starting but where?

10. JO'C 12. Paisami 13. Petaia 11/14 Flook/Vunivalu 15. Campbell
I think the Daugunu replacement is largely from the younger guys coming through - Grealy, Aubrey and Annan, and also Navosailagi's split contract with the 7s. Beyond that it's probably a space they leave open for the challenger series, there are some good looking outside backs in QPR right now who they'll want to take a closer look at.

But if they are looking for a seasoned pro there, I'd love them to pick up Louis Lynagh. I believe he's still off contract at this stage, though I think he's pretty committed to England.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I suspect Lynagh will be 10 when fit. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) is there to guide so will mix his time between 12 and 22. Paisami showing glimpses of how good he can be at 12.

No announcements in the outside backs but would think young Tim Ryan will get a shot. Grealy and probably moreso Aubrey's spots will be under pressure. I also assume Henry and Anan will bulk up centre (utility) depth.
Yeah, with the form of Creighton and Harry McLaughlin-Phillips alongside Lynagh I don't think we see much of O'Connor at 10 next year. Likely managed minutes at 12/bench coverage.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Centres pairings will be interesting next year, especially with a new coach. We're not exactly short of options with O'Connor, Paisami, Flook, Petaia, Henry, and Annan

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
He’s sitting in Japan.

Harry Hockings
Yep this is the biggest target for me. He's been in unbelievable form for Suntory over the last few years.

I know some people aren't comfortable with signing non-Aus qualified players like Ravai, Hodgman and Toomaga-Allen but personally I'm all for it. One thing Australia has is depth at prop, it might not be very clear with the current Wallabies squad but guys like Schoupp, Nonggorr, and van Nek are all coming along nicely and will be a huge part of the Wallabies over the next few years, plus the experienced guys like Slipper, Bell, Tupou, Ala'alatoa and to a lesser extent Fa'amausili. There's also the fringe players like Johnson-Holmes, Robertson and Eloff. We need experienced players in the tight five and if the guys at Hospital Cup level aren't up to it then lets bring them in from overseas. It will only benefit the younger players like Nonggoor, De Luttiss and Bloomfield.

Plus as someone pointed out above, Hodgman will be Aus qualified next year. Now all we need are some locks and suddenly it's all coming together.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pretty cool that Hodgeman is Aus eligible. Probably slots in around a Matt Gibbon level at least. With Slipper breaking down, he might even get an opportunity behind Bell.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep this is the biggest target for me. He's been in unbelievable form for Suntory over the last few years.

I know some people aren't comfortable with signing non-Aus qualified players like Ravai, Hodgman and Toomaga-Allen but personally I'm all for it. One thing Australia has is depth at prop, it might not be very clear with the current Wallabies squad but guys like Schoupp, Nonggorr, and van Nek are all coming along nicely and will be a huge part of the Wallabies over the next few years, plus the experienced guys like Slipper, Bell, Tupou, Ala'alatoa and to a lesser extent Fa'amausili. There's also the fringe players like Johnson-Holmes, Robertson and Eloff. We need experienced players in the tight five and if the guys at Hospital Cup level aren't up to it then lets bring them in from overseas. It will only benefit the younger players like Nonggoor, De Luttiss and Bloomfield.

Plus as someone pointed out above, Hodgman will be Aus qualified next year. Now all we need are some locks and suddenly it's all coming together.
I agree , why not sign non-Aus qualified players, although I wouldn't be hanging my hat on Hodgeman being a hell of a lot of good for Wallabies, but he is pretty good at Super level, and good buy. I applaud Aussie teams building up there strength like this, I think it shows we don't need to change eligbility rules etc, just give franchises certainty of on going comp (ie until 2030) and they can start building teams. Players will find even Aus more attractive than the idea of moving over when a comp would maybe fold in a couple of years?

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Pretty cool that Hodgeman is Aus eligible. Probably slots in around a Matt Gibbon level at least. With Slipper breaking down, he might even get an opportunity behind Bell.
Not a bad 1-2 punch having Bell starting and Hodgman finishing, if his form can hit the level it was when he debuted for the All Blacks. If it doesn't then just having his experience around some of our younger props at the Reds is invaluable.