• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

TheRugbyGURU95

Frank Nicholson (4)
I assume that means Jaiden Christian is no longer with the Rebels. I know it is a big step up from Prems to super but there are a couple of decent front row prospects in those teams.

Fantastic to see Nasser back.
Yes he was listed as a departure awhile back

TheRugbyGURU95

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyone got any idea why Richie Asiata, Angus Blyth, Ryan Smith, Tom Lynagh and Jock Campbell aren’t participating?

or are they just simply having some time off?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Anyone got any idea why Richie Asiata, Angus Blyth, Ryan Smith, Tom Lynagh and Jock Campbell aren’t participating?

or are they just simply having some time off?
Campbell is injured and part of the coaching team (same as Wright). I believe Smith went in for shoulder surgery after the super season. Not sure about Asiata, Lynagh and Blyth, but I think they all missed the end of the club season so might be injured too.

TheRugbyGURU95

Frank Nicholson (4)
Campbell is injured and part of the coaching team (same as Wright). I believe Smith went in for shoulder surgery after the super season. Not sure about Asiata, Lynagh and Blyth, but I think they all missed the end of the club season so might be injured too.
Oh yes I forgot about Campbell being coach. Thanks for the update!

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interested in hearing some game summary / insights to the Challenger vs Development Reds game. Who played well etc?
Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but there's a write up from the Reds here:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Anyone have news on whether the Festival of Rugby is happening again in Feb? Think it's normally announced late Sept / early Oct

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Anyone seen the new ad for memberships? I saw it on X last night and was shocked at how little the players featured. It was mostly crowd shots.

I wonder who will be the main faces used to promote the team this year?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Anyone seen the new ad for memberships? I saw it on X last night and was shocked at how little the players featured. It was mostly crowd shots.

I wonder who will be the main faces used to promote the team this year?
I've seen plenty of players faces highlighted on membership advertising so far, but given McDermott, McReight, Petaia, Wilson, O'Connor and Paisami have all been overseas until recently or are still overseas that might be why an ad they just put out is light on players featured. The main faces will mostly come from that list I think, with McDermott already the face of it.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
What is a likely starting XV next year?
Give it a stab

1. Hodgman 2. Faessler 3. Nonggoor
4. Smith 5. Blyth
6. Uru 8. Wilson 7. Mcreight
9. Mcdermott 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 11. Vunivalu 12. Paisami 13. Flook 14. Petaia 15. Campbell
16. Nasser 17. Ravai 18. JTA 19. Daly 20. Wright 21. Thomas 22. Lynagh 23. Annan

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Give it a stab

1. Hodgman 2. Faessler 3. Nonggoor
4. Smith 5. Blyth
6. Uru 8. Wilson 7. Mcreight
9. Mcdermott 10. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) 11. Vunivalu 12. Paisami 13. Flook 14. Petaia 15. Campbell
16. Nasser 17. Ravai 18. JTA 19. Daly 20. Wright 21. Thomas 22. Lynagh 23. Annan
I think this is pretty on the money - 10 and 12 will be the interesting decisions imo. If Lynagh doesn't start 10 (which I think he will), I reckon we'll see Creighton there, with JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 regardless. One of Creighton/Lynagh (whichever isn't starting) and Paisami/Henry/Annan fighting for 22 and 23.

I also wouldn't mind persisting with Petaia at 15, where he looked very strong last season - but I'm not sure what that means for Campbell who has looked a bit out of place at 14. I'd have Wright starting over Uru too.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think HMP is in line for the 10 jersey.

Hard to justify Lynagh being the guy considering how little football he plays.

HMP has had a really good 2023 season.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I think HMP is in line for the 10 jersey.

Hard to justify Lynagh being the guy considering how little football he plays.

HMP has had a really good 2023 season.
HMP hasn't even debuted in the senior team - there's absolutely no chance he is this season's 10. It will be Lynagh/Creighton/O'Connor.

A reminder that Lynagh also featured in 12 of the Reds' 16 matches in 2023... I'm not sure how you can suggest writing off a 20yo who has shown immense potential because he's had a run of injuries in the late/post season.