• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Signed up as a member, the first time in several years. Chasing those B&I Lions Ballots.
I'm quite happy with the merch pack, you're given credit based on the membership you've chosen and can go in to the store and pick the items you want. There's a reasonable array of things to choose from that suit me, rather than the standard pack they historically sent out. The hats actually look pretty good also. Although it would be good if you could put that credit towards one of the jerseys, but they're not an option.
Got a screenshot of the member merch?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
1702619021774.png

1702619050422.png

1702619068708.png

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Has anyone played around with AI? I have been trying a few things on BARD linking rugby and poems (yes I was bored).

It seems to struggle with some of the players names at times

Queensland reds 2011 super rugby final review as a poem​

Suncorp ablaze, a crimson sea, The Reds charge forth, destiny to decree. Crusaders loom, a titan's might, But Queensland hearts burn fierce and bright.

Horwill leads, a warrior's gaze, His every tackle cracks the daze. Genia darts, a blur of gold, His dancing feet, a tale untold.

Cooper conjures, magic in his boot, Soaring spirals, slicing loot. Ngongo roars, a granite wall, Unbreachable, he stands for all.

Tryon streaks, a silver flash, Defenders grasp, but cannot latch. Kellaway dances, lightning swift, Leaving rivals lost in a drifting shift.

Minutes crawl, tension hangs thick, Scoreboard whispers, tick by tick. Carter's boot, a cruel decree, Extends the lead, agony.

But Reds refuse to bend the knee, Their spirit soaring, wild and free. Ioane storms, a bull unseen, His thunderous pace, a battle keen.

Genia breaks, a comet's trail, Leaving doubters choked with trail. He dives, he scores, the stadium erupts, A kingdom won, from doubts corrupt.

Final whistle blows, a joyous roar, Champions crowned, forevermore. The 2011 tale, etched in gold, Queensland Reds, a story told.

So raise a glass, let echoes fly, For beneath the southern sky, The Reds have risen, kings they stand, The Super Rugby crown, in Queensland's hand.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
As a former prop I also tried for scrum poems, they seem a bit better because it does not involve names.

why scrums in rugby are awesome as a poem​

Where giants huddle, heads bowed low, A battleground eight souls will know. No clash of blades, no cannons roar, But silent tension hangs, and more.

Muscles bunched, a knotted mass, Each breath a furnace, primed to pass. Hookers lock, like teeth aflame, Binding flesh and bone to frame.

Then comes the bind, a push profound, Earth itself seems to groan with sound. Legs like pistons, churning deep, Inch by inch, a promise to keep.

The referee, a watchful eye, Scans the tunnel, whispers nigh. "Crouch, bind, set!" the magic phrase, Unleashing chaos in a haze.

From the darkness, leather freed, A golden prize for hearts that bleed. Hands like claws, a frantic fight, For possession in the dimmest light.

Shoves and shunts, a primal dance, Sweat and mud, a fleeting trance. Whiskers graze, teeth grit and bear, The will to win, a whispered prayer.

Then, like a cork from depths unknown, The ball bursts forth, a victory sown. Cheers erupt, a stadium's tide, As eight emerge, their honor tied.

Scrum, oh scrum, a test of might, Where darkness yields to primal light. Eight hearts beat as one, you see, The essence of rugby, wild and free.

So raise a glass to those who bind, In mud and sweat, victory to find. For in the scrum, where shadows dwell, True heroes rise, their stories tell.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Damn, was keen to see where he was at before the season started. Better to take their time with him though, there shouldn't be any need to push him with the prop depth we have this year.
Yeh - a good path for him, injury is unfortunate but didn't want to see him in the 23 anytime soon anyway. Would have had a good academy experience in ACT, now can sit in behind Nonggoor, learning from JTA, whilst on the LHP side, Hodgman, Ravai and Faagase is a healthy depth.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeh - a good path for him, injury is unfortunate but didn't want to see him in the 23 anytime soon anyway. Would have had a good academy experience in ACT, now can sit in behind Nonggoor, learning from JTA, whilst on the LHP side, Hodgman, Ravai and Faagase is a healthy depth.
For mine the absolute ideal for younger players like him is to get a bit of time in trials and early rounds of the season off the bench but then drop back to club rugby as soon as the season has started to play full games. That way they get exposure to the top level and get to see what they should be aiming for above and beyond what it takes to do well in Hospital's cup. That said it's definitely not worth any risk of aggravating an injury that would see them out for longer.

Also worth noting both Ravai and Fa'agase can cover tight head, so I won't be surprised if we see one of them spend a bit of time on that side in the trials just to make sure our coverage is rock solid. Likely with Blake getting more time at loosehead too, with Faessler, Nasser, Asiata and Craig coming through should have hooker fairly well covered.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
This question might be better served in the QPR thread but do we think there might be a bit of player drain on that competition this season?

I’ve heard of a number players who’ve headed down to Shute Shield this season and another handful who’ve gone to the MLR. I don’t have specifics but some of the club guys I’ve spoken to said pre-pre-season turnouts haven’t been so good as yet. Probably too early to tell.

I hope the QPR competition continues to be strong as it’s such a great proving ground for the young guys particularly the front rowers.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
This question might be better served in the QPR thread but do we think there might be a bit of player drain on that competition this season?

I’ve heard of a number players who’ve headed down to Shute Shield this season and another handful who’ve gone to the MLR. I don’t have specifics but some of the club guys I’ve spoken to said pre-pre-season turnouts haven’t been so good as yet. Probably too early to tell.

I hope the QPR competition continues to be strong as it’s such a great proving ground for the young guys particularly the front rowers.
QPR has probably been it's strongest in a long time the last few years so it wouldn't surprise me to see it getting more external attention pulling players away. The other big factor might be the finances down in Melbourne - I'm not exactly sure how the regular flights back for Rebels players were paid for, but any funding coming from the Rebels has to be at risk when they're up against it. Could be that we don't see anywhere near as many of them during the super season this year.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So what’s everyone’s thoughts for this season?

I know that there is an overarching sense of doom and gloom in Australian rugby but personally January is always a good time to be (cautiously) optimistic. For the Reds there seems to be plenty of reason to feel we will do better than last year.

Here are my key positives -

1. Front Row - big tick. Last year we lost Tupou, Hoopert & Nasser before we started. Nonggorr was coming off an injury interrupted year. This year we’ve brought in Toomaga-Allen & Hodgman, Nasser is back fit and Faessler and Nonggorr have played test rugby. We’ve also got a couple of very promising youngsters in De Lutiis & Craig (although I don’t expect to see much of them this year). We have depth at prop with Ravi & Fa’agase. Last year our scrum became a real weakness. This year it should be significantly improved and all of these guys can make an impact around the field. I think the changes to the Front row are the most significant on field change and I expect them to generate an immediate return.

2. Points to prove - I think this can be an overrated concept at times. Not sure how many pro players really need extra motivation. But, sometimes they do need a change. Harry Wilson has been superb for Qld but successive Wallabies coaches have passed him over. I’ve no doubt the new coaching regime has him very focused on finding another 10%. McReight seems the new Hooper. For all the good he does there is already a chorus that he is too small. Can he add some brawn & power without sacrificing his speed. Liam Wright has had a rotten run with injury. He is at risk of dropping too far behind others but another new regime should clean the slate. He would tick a lot of boxes for the Wallabies (although potentially more at 7). Uru is the guy who has had to mostly fill the role of lock or utility whilst still trying to push his own credentials. Would add some impact to the backrow. As good as our backrow has been, all four guys are at the right age and with experience under their belt that they should, hopefully, be able to find more in their game.

3. New Coaching set up - personally I think Thorn deserves enormous credit for some of the changes he brought to the Reds. But last year seems to have been a year to many. Les Kiss has the experience to make a real difference to a team with tons of potential but falling short on execution. Time will tell but I am hoping Kiss can provide the finishing touches like McKenzie did for the squad Phil Mooney brought together.

4. Improved depth/experience - depth makes or breaks Super Rugby seasons. No one gets through unscathed. The Reds best 23 on paper looks pretty strong - but it is unlikely that we’ll see them on the field more than once or twice. Whilst Thorn/Cordingly were criticised for some key exits, the Reds retention has largely been very good. Over the last 2 seasons guys like Blake, Asiata, Vest, Anderson, Thomas, Creighton, Lynagh, Annan & Grealy have been toiling away, learning their craft. Guys like Smith & Flook have gone from rookies to consistent performers. I don’t think you can overstate the value of 12 months additional experience in a squad that is still relatively young.

5. Competition in the backs - there have been issues with injury and some patchy form at times but O’Connor, Paisami, Flook, Petaia & Campbell is a quality group of players. Vunivalu seems to have been one of the few successes of the Jones debacle. Henry needs some time injury free but seems capable at Super level. The Reds have a quality backline in there. If the forwards and halves do their job the outside backs should be able to match anyone and better most.

That’s my take. Interested to hear others view.

Who will be the break out this year?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm pretty happy with the reasonable consistency in the squad and hope for fewer injury-related selection issues. My big hope is in the new Coaching set-up. I'd suggest it is probably a touch optimistic to be anticipating an immediate Link-style renaissance and i would certainly suggest giving the team the usual three-year approach. One to settle, one to build on a new culture or wy of doing things, and the third to show it without excuses. And I am really pumped thinking about the Reds doing just this.

The Super comp and RA? That's a different matter. Here in Qld I'm feeling enthusiastic and very much looking forward to the season.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'm pretty happy with the reasonable consistency in the squad and hope for fewer injury-related selection issues. My big hope is in the new Coaching set-up. I'd suggest it is probably a touch optimistic to be anticipating an immediate Link-style renaissance and i would certainly suggest giving the team the usual three-year approach. One to settle, one to build on a new culture or wy of doing things, and the third to show it without excuses. And I am really pumped thinking about the Reds doing just this.

The Super comp and RA? That's a different matter. Here in Qld I'm feeling enthusiastic and very much looking forward to the season.
Largely agree with your thoughts - although I think success in 2 yrs is achievable. Both McKenzie and Cheika won their titles in their second year after a year to make changes. But I think it is reasonable to expect improvement this year from what is essentially a settled squad boosted by a couple of key acquisitions (and off a disappointing 2023). I’d love a kinder run with injuries - but don’t think we can rely on that. That’s why I think the extra years experience will be a significant factor.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I like what little I saw of HMP. Very early days for him, but he does look bloody good to me.
Agree - but I assume he’ll be more used for depth this year and given a bit of exposure for his development with a view to him competing for the 10 spot in 2025 (based purely on his age and the fact he has no super rugby experience as yet).

Ged

Allen Oxlade (6)
My predictions:
-make the finals
-Liam Wright to go injury free and prove his worth as a big, athletic PSDT style 6 (lineout jumper, fierce tackler, good on ball)
-Josh Flook to establish himself as the premier 13 (pace, skills, decision making, Conrad Smith style)
-Lynagh to overtake Creighton in the pecking order
-we will not miss Tupou at all in "net impact" metric {positive impacts - negative impacts} x {time on field - time injured}

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My predictions:
-make the finals
-Liam Wright to go injury free and prove his worth as a big, athletic PSDT style 6 (lineout jumper, fierce tackler, good on ball)
-Josh Flook to establish himself as the premier 13 (pace, skills, decision making, Conrad Smith style)
-Lynagh to overtake Creighton in the pecking order
-we will not miss Tupou at all in "net impact" metric {positive impacts - negative impacts} x {time on field - time injured}
Might have to add another 10kg and 10cm to his frame fer dat.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
All the optimism is great but the reds haven’t been good since 2011 (they didn’t beat NZ teams from 2020-, and were up against a returning force, poor Waratahs and rebels side in super rugby AU)

hopefully they can improve, but realistically about 6+ teams have better squads

same goes for the rebels etc.

Note I’d love to see them do well after a long period without success