• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I imagine this whole Rebels v RA caper isn’t helping negotiations either. Lots of moving parts there, not to mention potentially 20 odd players to be filtered through the other 4 aus teams.

Will be a couple of blokes in Petaia’s situation with big deals on the table elsewhere and want things sorted quickly. If I’m Jordy, I want pen to paper asap before I potentially blow my knee out again.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Wonder how genuine the Dragons interest is? He's a Centre and unproven in their game so wouldn't command huge money. My guess would be 400-500k if he went over. Dragons have a stink on them at the moment and have been missing on everyone. They wanted Joey Manu and missed. They also wanted JS and missed.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
At face value it looks like more than just a flutter. Flanagan allegedly has a meeting setup with Jordy. You’d imagine they wouldn’t go to that effort unless numbers were at least in the ball park of acceptable for both parties.

Or of course it’s just Petaia’s manager getting him out meeting as many teams as possible to drive price up.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wonder how genuine the Dragons interest is? He's a Centre and unproven in their game so wouldn't command huge money. My guess would be 400-500k if he went over. Dragons have a stink on them at the moment and have been missing on everyone. They wanted Joey Manu and missed. They also wanted JS and missed.
I reckon he'd be an excellent fullback in league within a season or two. Great in the air, a powerful, scything runner on kick returns and a strong last line defender. Has a lot of Karmichael Hunt about him in that sense. His biggest issue for the Reds this year has probably been getting isolated when running the ball back and then turned over, something that just isn't an issue in league.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe. He does have the physical attributes. Has he got a history in League at all? They do the majority of the defensive organising as well which is why a lot of Wingers aren't able to move into the position.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Maybe. He does have the physical attributes. Has he got a history in League at all? They do the majority of the defensive organising as well which is why a lot of Wingers aren't able to move into the position.

The good ones do. An average team looking for some star power likely don't think about it as much.

I've been to a number of Broncos games these last few years and the difference in chat at the back of play between a good fullback and an average one is significant.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Can't think of a Premiership winner without a top tier fullback. Got way off the thread topic of the Reds. Sorry.

I hope he stays in Rugby even if it's overseas. If he goes to League, I see it being a winding road back to the Wallabies if any as it would probably involve an overseas contract first. I know Japan is good money but do players develop there? I'd say not really. French Rugby they definitely seem to, Jack Maddocks has been showing that.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Tom Banks come off his huge Japan contract at the end of the year doesn't he?

Does this leave budget at RA and Reds for a home coming?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tom Banks come off his huge Japan contract at the end of the year doesn't he?

Does this leave budget at RA and Reds for a home coming?
I'm not sure we'd look at a fullback replacement with Campbell and Grealy on the books already. Not out of the question but I think they might look for a powerful centre/winger first. Kerevi would be gold standard if available, though that might stretch the current cap too far to be worthwhile. Otherwise it's probably bringing Ripley back from Melbourne or something like that. It would be very odd if there was significantly more money available from RA for Banks over Petaia too.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon he'd be an excellent fullback in league within a season or two. Great in the air, a powerful, scything runner on kick returns and a strong last line defender. Has a lot of Karmichael Hunt about him in that sense. His biggest issue for the Reds this year has probably been getting isolated when running the ball back and then turned over, something that just isn't an issue in league.
I don’t watch much league these days but, from what I’ve seen the Billy Slater effect has steered teams towards players who have massive engines and can get all over the field. Not saying Petaia can’t do that, but not sure it would be best use of him. I’d figure he’d be more likely an option at centre.

JRugby2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Matt To'omua on the Roar pod last week brought up RSA as a case study when it came to the retention of big money players. TLDR (listen?) version is let them go - but pick them for Aus anyway. Don't spend money on bidding wars and reinvest that money we would have spent back into grassroots to grow the game.

Obvious caveat to this would be it'll be hard to pick Petaia for the Wallabies out of St George...

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Matt To'omua on the Roar pod last week brought up RSA as a case study when it came to the retention of big money players. TLDR (listen?) version is let them go - but pick them for Aus anyway. Don't spend money on bidding wars and reinvest that money we would have spent back into grassroots to grow the game.

Obvious caveat to this would be it'll be hard to pick Petaia for the Wallabies out of St George...

Hard to compare the RSA situation - not many Springboks getting picked to play league.

South Africa doesn't have two other contact ball sports competing for the same talent.

If we let all the good players walk, who are the kids at grassroots going to look up to? The optics the NRL have in terms of star power is already well beyond anything we can offer.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Hard to compare the RSA situation - not many Springboks getting picked to play league.

South Africa doesn't have two other contact ball sports competing for the same talent.

If we let all the good players walk, who are the kids at grassroots going to look up to? The optics the NRL have in terms of star power is already well beyond anything we can offer.
PVL said last year they'd start targeting saffas... Bahahahaha - oh the inflated view that game has of itself. What would cause a saffa to play Jail rugby in some pissant corner of the world.....

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
PVL said last year they'd start targeting saffas... Bahahahaha - oh the inflated view that game has of itself. What would cause a saffa to play Jail rugby in some pissant corner of the world.....

PVL says a lot of things.

he is the used car salesman of all Aussie sports codes CEOs.