• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Death, taxes and the Reds halfback's form falling off a cliff once they start getting good.

I don't think we've had a standout year-in year-out halfback since Genia? I guess McDermott probably has been.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Death, taxes and the Reds halfback's form falling off a cliff once they start getting good.

I don't think we've had a standout year-in year-out halfback since Genia? I guess McDermott probably has been.
Depending on who you ask, Tate might have been the best halfback in Aus for the last few years running, or someone who doesn't possess the skillset to be anywhere near the national scene.

What is it about halfbacks that are always so divisive?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

If my memory serves me, we had Will playing with us till 2015 and Tate was part of the 2018 squad (duking it out with Tuttle and Moses). Frisby had his moments during that time as well, just not consistently.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good to persevere with McDermott and Thomas. The latter only got half a game v Pilz on Saturday. Just not playing enough rugby…wonder will he be warming more benches in NZ or actually getting some games under his belt?

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
With Tupou joining the Rebels in 2024, Fa’amausili will have another competitor for the tighthead spot.

He’d be an excellent target for the Reds, but Brisbane Times understands the QRU has already knocked back an approach about Fa’amausili moving to Ballymore.
Fa’amausili is represented by newSTAR, run by agent Anthony Picone, who the QRU has all but refused to do business with in recent seasons.
This ongoing stance by the QRU is incredible. Why are members not furious the team is being built with such a significant handicap??

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
This ongoing stance by the QRU is incredible. Why are members not furious the team is being built with such a significant handicap??

The regulars on GAGR have talked about this for years. I’m guessing the rugby community doesn’t really know the back story behind reds and Newstart so they just assume grass is greener for these departing players

If you go back a few post I mentioned no big name coach will want to come here if Sam Cordingly continues his stubborn angry little man rivalry with Newstart.

Piccone is irreplaceable at Newstart, Cordingly is super replaceable at the Reds.

We need a new GM

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
The regulars on GAGR have talked about this for years. I’m guessing the rugby community doesn’t really know the back story behind reds and Newstart so they just assume grass is greener for these departing players
SX, do you know the back story? I have no idea, and think Cordingley has had his time, but maybe there is still some reason why the QRU don't want to deal with this agent even if Cordingley is not there. To have such a strong organisational stance seems odd if it is all about one person's view. Surely Thorn would have said if he really wanted a player who was with that agent.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Jordan and Pone in particular raise interesting questions on the whole centralised contracting model that's been touted as a goal for RA.

With Taniela going south, surely RA wants Pone to be playing consistent rugby and would step in to ensure Pone lands at a club where this would happen?

Alex Ross (28)
Jordan and Pone in particular raise interesting questions on the whole centralised contracting model that's been touted as a goal for Rugby Australia.

With Taniela going south, surely Rugby Australia wants Pone to be playing consistent rugby and would step in to ensure Pone lands at a club where this would happen?
What are they going to do though? Indentured servitude and force him to WA?
IIRC even the NZ model for centrally contracted players allows clubs to have 26 that are off limits. Brumbies sat on Slipper and Sio for ages. Reds have had a lot of back 3 players warehoused in Vunivalu, Petaia and Daugunu. Centralised contracts are not a magic pill.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
SX, do you know the back story? I have no idea, and think Cordingley has had his time, but maybe there is still some reason why the QRU don't want to deal with this agent even if Cordingley is not there. To have such a strong organisational stance seems odd if it is all about one person's view. Surely Thorn would have said if he really wanted a player who was with that agent.

The NewStar brigade have been the premier player agency in Brisbane since the 2010s, their m.o. during the early days was to attach themselves to a QPR club, bring all their players and showcase the wares. It was always a short term solution, they probably have revolving involvement with 4 clubs over a 10 year period and when they moved on, they’d take all their players and sometimes a few more and setup at the next spot. Would always be a rebuilding exercise after that.

They’re seen as a pretty safe landing spot for the frontline players in the Brisbane comp, some of their main signings over the years are Samu Kerevi, Genia, Izaak Rodda, Sean McMahon and even Levi Aumua who has been playing well of recent years for Moana and NZ Maori, they’ve got a strong stable of players. You can see the theme though, all of their top talent leaves Australia.

That’s just a little overview about who they are and why the QLD based posters are across them.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
What are they going to do though? Indentured servitude and force him to WA?

Depends on whether they want to be strict or relaxed about it.

All contracts in Australia require a three way sign off; player, club and RA.

Using the above examples; If the Rebels wanted to bring Taniela down to the Rebels, RA would need to sign off on it. I'm sure they could then have a discussion with the Rebels/Reds and players to say "we're not signing off on it unless Pone goes the other way".

It'd no doubt cause friction with players and clubs, just depends on what RA is going to focus on; State Club interests or National Interests.

Reds have had a lot of back 3 players warehoused in Vunivalu, Petaia and Daugunu.

You've lost me here. Last I counted, there were two wing and a fullback so those 3 weren't being warehoused? I guess you could include Jock, but, between injuries and form, those + Jock weren't sitting on the pine to hold onto.

I think a better argument would have been in 2019/20 when the Reds had an abundance of Locks; LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Rodda, Hockings and Blyth. While the Tahs were using makeshift 6's as 4/5's.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think a better argument would have been in 2019/20 when the Reds had an abundance of Locks; LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Rodda, Hockings and Blyth. While the Tahs were using makeshift 6's as 4/5's.

4 locks all of which were under the age of 23 is hardly warehousing either IMO. Particularly when 3 were developed in QLD and the other played a lot at 6

Rugby Australia would have been stoked to have them developing in Brisbane under Thorn

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Agreed, especially when LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was being played at 6. It's the closest to the argument 7137 was trying to make.

We had a similar argument last year before Stewart went to the force, that the reds were stock piling centres; Hunter, Stewart, Henry and Flook. But posters didn't realise how injury prone Henry is and to a certain extent Flook (who also played on the wing for the Reds).

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Looks like we can rule out Heenan and Matt Taylor as head coach next year:

I'm glad they are locking this in but hope we hang onto Heenan as an assistant.

I hope we keep Heenan as well.
But I fear if we go big name head coach he might want his own coaching setup… (that’s what happens in pro sports in USA when they fire a coach, they clear house)

all I know is the body of work that Mick Heenan has done with this team, the new head coach would be dumb not to have Mick on board. The equivalent of sitting an open book exam and Heenan is your open book.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I can't imagine Heenan would've come in, nor would QRU have brought him in, if there was any suggestion it could only be a 12mo gig
That wouldn't have been anyone's plan, but a change in head coach can throw all those plans up in the air - as SouthernX points out experienced head coaches often want to pull in support staff they're familiar with. Hopefully the value in Heenan will be pretty clear to any new coach and they'll be happy to keep him on.