• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Les Kiss is the appointment I was hoping for the Wallabies after Rennie RWC. Still, that's history. Les is a great coach and a great guy who will make the most of the talent that is in the Reds. Expect them to rise almost immediately.

Someone suggested his need for a top level scrum coach and I look forward to seeing who he picks.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
With the rise of The Force and The Rebels and now with Queensland getting Les Kiss, I am hoping our Super Rugby against NZ teams will rise, and on the back of that the Wallabies too.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’d also suggest people lower their expectations around any big name signings for next year. Might be a bit late in the piece for that? Perhaps a Sam Spink type player but I think Les will be working very hard on 2024.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So I was at Ballymore today and I don’t think I’m talking out of school to say Brad and Les were spending a lot of time together. It makes me think that this may be the most positive hand over of coaches in the professional history of the Qld Reds. That’s got to be a good thing.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I joked about us signing Simmons and Coleman but in all seriousness Simmons probably wouldn’t be a bad get in terms of what might be available.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Interesting quote from O'Connor about the Reds in this article on the Wallabies discipline:
Wallabies centre James O’Connor says habits can definitely be changed, and points to the Reds fixing an offside problem, on the run, this season.
“We were the most penalised team, especially in that C/D zone, and we had to change it. We tried everything, and the thing we found that worked is you have to stack a positive action on,” O’Connor said.

“You break a bad habit by adding a new habit. We changed the whole way we defended there. Ours was being offside and we literally did a drill to tackle, get up, step back and then call.
“We called it daylight and that worked. We went from the most penalised team to ... especially offsides, we went from the most penalised to the least penalised.”

The improvement in discipline through the season one of the real positives to come out of an otherwise ordinary year. Reading that quote it looks like Phill Blake had a big hand in turning it around. I thought our defence also really started to show positive signs in the late season games against the Chiefs, though with a lot more work to be done on consistency. I'd be pretty happy to see him stay on as part of Les Kiss' team and continue that work.

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
A lot to hopefully re-sign there amongst what is still a very young squad. There are definitely some gaps we need to fill though, even if we managed to retain everyone. I'd love to see us bring in a bit more experience going into next year but I'm also interested in anyone on the club scene people think might be a chance

As far as positions go I think our biggest gaps are in the tight 5, we'll likely need a couple of props and we could definitely improve at hooker. Lock has been a weakness this year too, if we could get an upgrade there that would be great. I feel like it's pretty likely we'll lose Daugunu too, especially if we are re-signing Vunivalu, so we may need an experienced back 3 option if Aubrey's not quite ready.

As far as guys to bring in goes, these are a few who stand out to me and are potentially available:

Bring home:
Brandon Paega-Amosa - Contract status a little unclear, I believe it's through 2023 with an option for 2024. Has just picked up a potentially long term injury which may make it easier to sign him
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto - Unlikely he's available but if he is (or the ongoing financial turmoil in the prem sees him offloaded) I'd love to see him straight back. Change in coach at wallaby level may mean there's money available for him again from Rugby Australia
Harry Hockings - Unclear on contract status but if we are moving on from Thorn (and Cordingley) it might be an opportunity to bring him back into the fold
Callum MacDonald - Not sure he had enough involvement in the reds program for it to truly be "coming back" but he is a Queenslander. Haven't seen much of him but he's at 204cm and 120kgs (when he was 19) he's a big unit. Currently over with Suntory, if Eddie has liked what he's seen in the past there may be some Rugby Australia money to help
Samu Kerevi - I know it sounds like a done deal that he is staying in Japan, but on the off chance it's not I'd love to see him back at Ballymore
Lukas Ripley - Off contract at Melbourne, I'm sure they'll want to hang onto him but if we lose a couple of players around centre/wing I'd definitely like to see him back in QLD

Recruitment targets:
Jordan Uelese, Pone Fa'amausili, Cameron Orr - All 3 are off contract with the Rebels and look to be stuck behind star players, I'd be talking to all of them though wouldn't necessarily want all 3 at once. Uelese probably only if BPA is not an option (or it becomes clear Eddie knows something we all didn't)
Chris Talakai - Apparently leaving Bayonne, not sure if he's picked up another contract. Could be a good experienced option to bring in if he's cheap
Matt Phillip - Off contract down in Melbourne and would be a great addition. Sounds like the tahs may have got him though
Richie Arnold - Signed for Toulouse until 2025 but with wallaby interest it sounds like Rugby Australia might be looking for a way to get him out of contract and home. Would be worth getting if Rugby Australia are funding his homecoming
Fergus Lee-Warner - Has been jerked around a bit with the ongoing financial strife in the English prem and is off contract at the end of season. I'm not the biggest fan of him but it'd probably piss Force fans off which would make it worth it
Louis Lynagh - I believe he's off contract with Quins and may have dropped down the pecking order with England. Never capped and with his brother signing on for a few more years he could be tempted to join him. Probably only makes sense if we lose an outside back or two

Club players to watch (by no means exhaustive, just a few who have stood out):
Harrison Lloyd (Brothers) - Experienced prop, probably an upgrade on Zander
Alex Davies (UQ)- Looks like a good prospect at prop
George Francis (Souths)- Not sure about his ability to make the step up to a professional program, but I think he has enough raw ability to bring in for a full pre-season to see if he can make it. Probably only if we've picked up an experienced prop as well though.
Seb Hanna (Brothers)- early days, but has had a cracking start to the season and maybe a good candidate for a dual contract with 7s
Josh Collins (GPS)- need to see more as he returns from injury but he's shown a lot of pace in the past and could be a good candidate for a dual contract with 7s

Feel like there might be a few stepping up at Souths this year, but the obvious ones are already in the academy I think.
Out of those bring homes

BPA: Faessler and Nasser are the next two Wallabies hookers. We don’t need him. Give it a year and you’ll believe me. I’ll take that to my grave, I’m the biggest Faessler fanboy in the world but Nasser would have been starting ahead of him every game this year if he wasn’t injured. Very easily see them being 2 and 16 in 2027. I could ramble on for pages but I would be surprised if we have them both by the time of the next World Cup. They should both be playing 80 every week

Lukhan: Loves the Reds despite whatever rumours have floated about, his next contract after the Rebels will be here. Obviously already signed though so won’t be here next year

Hockings: Would be silly to leave Japan from the position he’s in now. Has no hard feelings against Queensland but will not happen. If there was no salary cap he’d be here tomorrow

Macdonald: Would prefer Blyth, did not rate him at all at the start of his career but he has big potential if he sorts a few things out. Not patient with many players but he’s worth persisting with, Wallaby potential - coming from a bloke who was wondering why he was getting caps a few year ago

Samu: Would have to take an enormous pay cut but loves QLD and could definitely see him moving back in 2 years. Would not shock to return but would be very annoying to see one of our centres lose our spot to him in the final years of his career. Of course I’ll take that all back if he shows his form of 2018.

Ripley: Not a position we need to target at all. We have enormous depth here but we’ll take him back for sure after the next World Cup. I rate him very highly and think he hasn’t t shown anywhere near his potential. He could definitely be a Wallaby with a few injuries

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Does anyone have any insight on whether Peni Ravi is likely to be retained?

Also, any updates on the recoveries of Hoopert & Nasser?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Does anyone have any insight on whether Peni Ravi is likely to be retained?

Also, any updates on the recoveries of Hoopert & Nasser?

Sounds like you’re concerned about our front row stocks?

Nasser looked great early on at hooker from his transition away from prop but seems a little cursed injury wise…

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The ankle injury that Josh had was a significant one. Not dissimilar to the one that nearly ended Drew Mitchell's career (who remarkably got back to form over in Europe after nearly 2 years of struggling at the tahs post injury so there is hope).

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
The ankle injury that Josh had was a significant one. Not dissimilar to the one that nearly ended Drew Mitchell's career (who remarkably got back to form over in Europe after nearly 2 years of struggling at the tahs post injury so there is hope).
Mental barrier will be the hardest thing with a horrific injury like that