• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Really want to see how backchat is treated when the ref is in your job.

played a fair share over the years… rank doesn’t carry onto the field, for the most part. it was a license to legally bash each other in years gone by. Most of the teams are the younger junior ranks/officers, senior ranks are usually too old/slow to be in the team anyway. Theres always one or two with a suicide wish though.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
played a fair share over the years… rank doesn’t carry onto the field, for the most part. it was a license to legally bash each other in years gone by. Most of the teams are the younger junior ranks/officers, senior ranks are usually too old/slow to be in the team anyway. Theres always one or two with a suicide wish though.

Sounds like my brother :D He's 48 this year & only gave away playing a couple of years ago.

Went from playing dirty on the field to handing out the cards....

Screenshot_20240418_123751_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240418_123607_Facebook.jpg

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Had Petaia signed a new contract before last night? I seem to recall that Petaia and Campbell were still yet to sign on.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Had Petaia signed a new contract before last night? I seem to recall that Petaia and Campbell were still yet to sign on.

I don’t think so - had I heard I would of personally been rejoicing

wonder how a long term shoulder injury/surgery is viewed when signing a NRL contract? His best move might be rugby 1 year contract so he is in the lions test frame

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It's pretty upsetting for Jordy P. Been a pro rugby player for 7 years and now (although probably too simplistic and possibly unfair) averaging 7.5 games starting for the Reds and 3 for the Wallabies each year

That's got to come into the equation for future contracts.

Have we expected too much too young out of his body?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
On the telecast they mentioned his caps over 50 for reds and 30 for wallabies. If he sticks with the code - there’s all the chance he could potentially go to 4 consecutive world cups.

Reactions: dru

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
The fact that he'd been threatening to go to league really shat me. ( or his agent). I know its the game they play around contracting time these days but its so disrespectful to the game and importantly Reds fans.

Reactions: Ged

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The fact that he'd been threatening to go to league really shat me. ( or his agent). I know its the game they play around contracting time these days but its so disrespectful to the game and importantly Reds fans.
Ehh, if a player’s agent is not exploring all options then they’re not doing their job. All’s fair in love and contract negotiations.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Not disagreeing. Just saying it shat me as a rugby fan. Kind of put me off the bloke to be honest.
Maybe I'm being overly sensitive but as a former player and rugby fan I have an opinion.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I dunno, clubs and team managers have done some fairly disrespectful things over the years by offering players less then they’re worth at times, it’s a two way street at negotiation time.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Ehh, if a player’s agent is not exploring all options then they’re not doing their job. All’s fair in love and contract negotiations.
I think it is League that is the annoying bit, I have no issue with threats to move to another Super Rugby teams, play rugby overseas or even when someone claims they are considering a switch to NFL.

I know the managers would look at League but I wonder if it is a disservice for the player to make it public, many rugby fans get annoyed by it and this may lead to being less of a draw card after retirement (if you don't switch but threaten to) with guest speaker jobs etc.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It's pretty upsetting for Jordy P. Been a pro rugby player for 7 years and now (although probably too simplistic and possibly unfair) averaging 7.5 games starting for the Reds and 3 for the Wallabies each year

That's got to come into the equation for future contracts.

Have we expected too much too young out of his body?
Can they have a contract that is based on being fit for games, or does it have to be for the entire year?

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
I think it is League that is the annoying bit, I have no issue with threats to move to another Super Rugby teams, play rugby overseas or even when someone claims they are considering a switch to NFL.

I know the managers would look at League but I wonder if it is a disservice for the player to make it public, many rugby fans get annoyed by it and this may lead to being less of a draw card after retirement (if you don't switch but threaten to) with guest speaker jobs etc.
kind of my point - taints the player in my view when it intentially gets played out in the media by managers. Tristan O'Reilly at the Tahs is the same. Sure he's probably a cracking bloke and he's playing bloody well - but same again saying he's keen to play league in the media. As a Tahs fan - jeez thanks for your commitment.....mate.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
On the telecast they mentioned his caps over 50 for reds and 30 for wallabies. If he sticks with the code - there’s all the chance he could potentially go to 4 consecutive world cups.
I can't see him playing 4 consecutive world cups. His body is too fragile. It's a pitty cause he's a pretty good player

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I feel hooker, (after Faessler) has scope for a bit of an upgrade. We have Nasser, Asiata and Craig (devel).

IF the Rebels fold, Uelese, Mafi & Dobbins are available, and it seems like that the force Kaituu will be out of the Force, with the pickup of BPA, Dolly and a strong performing Horton.

Do we shift along a Nasser or Asiata and strengthen our top hooking duo with a drive for a Super Rugby starter quality hooker like the force have done?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I feel hooker, (after Faessler) has scope for a bit of an upgrade. We have Nasser, Asiata and Craig (devel).

IF the Rebels fold, Uelese, Mafi & Dobbins are available, and it seems like that the force Kaituu will be out of the Force, with the pickup of BPA, Dolly and a strong performing Horton.

Do we shift along a Nasser or Asiata and strengthen our top hooking duo with a drive for a Super Rugby starter quality hooker like the force have done?
Mafi is the best of the Rebels lot IMO. He's good around the field but doesn't seem as imposing as Uelese who's generally a liability at line out.

Reds are in a pretty good position with those players. I think the Tahs are the ones who have to be looking at Hookers. Porecki yet to be seen with TBC next to his injury report about the Achillies. Mahe is a goer but also injured for the year. The others (Heaven, Fourie, Fonokalifi) have put in good work but you aren't going to climb the ladder with them. Heaven looks like a guy I'd keep around.

Have a feeling Kaituu and it's probably obvious for everyone that he's on the outer. As of right now there situation doesn't work and Horton seems to be doing good things for them.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Mafi is the best of the Rebels lot IMO. He's good around the field but doesn't seem as imposing as Uelese who's generally a liability at line out.

Reds are in a pretty good position with those players. I think the Tahs are the ones who have to be looking at Hookers. Porecki yet to be seen with TBC next to his injury report about the Achillies. Mahe is a goer but also injured for the year. The others (Heaven, Fourie, Fonokalifi) have put in good work but you aren't going to climb the ladder with them. Heaven looks like a guy I'd keep around.

Have a feeling Kaituu and it's probably obvious for everyone that he's on the outer. As of right now there situation doesn't work and Horton seems to be doing good things for them.
Mafi has missed as many as Uelese this year, don't know what's in the water down here but both their throwing sucks.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I don't see getting either Jordan or Mafi as being a huge upgrade, especially not in an area we should be spending a significant amount of money for depth on.

Ravai will be close to retirement so we need to find another loose head. We would also do well to find centres who can stay healthy for more than 3 days. We probably need someone with a cool head to replace JOC (James O'Connor) as well.