• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

R7: Waratahs vs Sunwolves - Friday 29 March @ Newcastle

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would have also rested Folau and/or Kepu but good to see Foketi back on the bench after overcoming his preseason injury.

This is also Staniforth's first game of the season (from memory).

Shit, does that mean AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is in contention for gold?

I don't think it is an enforced rest. Just the fact that he's played every game so far and he's 34 35 (happy birthday Swoopy!).

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Damn. Wanted to see a Mason-Hunt combo.

Still a good side. If they can cut out the basic errors I can see them rack up a big score this weekend.

Would like to see Rona get a lot more pill in space.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think with Holloway out Simmons has to start, to get a spell later on. You could always start Hanigan at lock and Swinton at 6, but with another three locks in the squad, being McCauley, Staniforth and Roets, surely one of them is ready to step up.

I know Phipps has plenty of haters on this site (along with Foley, Hanigan, Hooper & Beale) but I thought he injected real energy into the Tahs on Saturday night. I like Gordon, and in fact think he's probably a better WC back-up to Genia than Phipps, but he doesn't offer that ability to lift a side like Phipps does. For mine, Phipps starts.

I don't have a problem with O'Connor starting to give Kepu a rest, assuming Vui is fit.
I'm with Derpus and BH on Mason, if we're not prepared to start him, wtf have we got him for?

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Fitzpatrick, O'Connor, Simmons, Roets, Hanigan, Hooper, Dempsey, Phipps, Mason, Newsome, Hunt, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Rona, Beale. Res: Tuala, Talakai, Vui, Swinton, Wells, Gordon, Foketi ? (is he fit yet), Clarke

Froggy, you'd start two LHPs and have two THPs on the bench. Now that is very creative.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
D2nsG0AVAAA5YjK.jpg:large
Would have liked to have seen Hunt at 12, Rona 13 Beale 15 and Izzy on the wing. I can see the logic in Kuttley being second playmaker though Good to see Swinton get a start

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Sunwolves have fired up their old Apple IIe computer to produce the team list graphic.

D2pI5rYU8AAdse9.jpg:large

Bench Vella, Mikami, Asahara, Abbott, K. Pryor, Tanaka, Yamasawa, Timu

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
he toured with the Wallabies last year and played (well) in a test match. It's not unreasonable to suggest he's in wallaby contention.

And valuable for pushing some of the young blokes harder, but is he a top 2 contender for 13, 14, or supersub?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And valuable for pushing some of the young blokes harder, but is he a top 2 contender for 13, 14, or supersub?

I think at best he could be one of the leaders you need for the dirt trackers, he would play a role and be a pro in preparation.

But he isn't near a test starter on current form on attack, but when it comes to having units that talk/communicate and keep the structures in place ............................. well you need a couple around the place

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rona has withdrawn with a minor groin strain. Newsome starts in his place and John Folau is on the bench and in line for a debut.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gibson on Mason, they seem to be planning for him to be the starting 10 next season, but he is being brought on slowly and I don't see that as an issue really. We see a lot of guys being thrown in too early and then dumped

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
They can see something in Mason that I can't. Yet, anyway.
Not sure how you've seen anything. I think i've seen him play about 10 minutes of footy.

I hope the Tahs keep it simple this week, rather than trying on the Samoan basketball approach they took last time.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I would have also rested Folau and/or Kepu but good to see Foketi back on the bench after overcoming his preseason injury.

This is also Staniforth's first game of the season (from memory).

I don't think it is an enforced rest. Just the fact that he's played every game so far and he's 34 35 (happy birthday Swoopy!).

I've heard it's required for the wallabies.

As for the team, excited to see what Mason has, next year he could be the starting 10.