• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RBS 6 Nations 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wouldn't think so, I doubt he'll even tour with Kearney and Halfpenny ahead of him. Added the likes of Zebo, Goode and Brown can cover full back just a well and offer options elsewhere.

I don't think it's as self evident as it may seem.

Goode has done little more than Hogg, they are similar ages and came onto the scene at similar times but other than Goode's performance against an inept Fiji there's no clear divider. Internationally Goode get's the chocolates more often, but one could put that down to Hogg playing for Scotland. Domestically they both shine of one of the best teams in their perspective leagues.

As for Halfpenny? Let's remember a couple of years ago we thought it was very bold that Gatland was playing a winger at 15. I think there's still a chance, also remembering Kearney and Halfpenny injure very easily.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
How good was this to receive a pass that went behind him.

_65664450_zeboflick.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
There was some excitement in the Spud Bashers vs the Boyo's game. The Boyo's lost that game in many respects with poor decision making, wrong selections, poor execution and basic skills from many Red players. The resolute and determined defence and relentless pressure from the Paddys forced plenty of errors. It was a good game of footy none the less.

Am I alone in thinking it was a good decision to go to bed after the Ireland v Wales game?
The replay this morning of the Soap Dodgers vs the Single Malts suggests that there was very little point in watching the Calcutta Cup Live. To this humble scribe it was a rather mechanical game with little to redeem itself. The Scots were very ordinary and that the Norman Invaders should have won the game by 50 points. The eventual scoreline flattered both participants with some very easy points being scored.

The Soap Dodgers have the potential but were rattled by a very ordinary Scottish performance. They will have to improve a fair bit to show the form that humbled the Darkness in the Spring tour.

The Spud Bashers must be favoured to win the title, with the Soap Dodgers and Garlic Munchers as threats.

IRE vs FRA should be a cracker of a game.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Loved watching the six nations this morning on ESPN (Note Setanta YA) & with all four home nations in battle it was even better picking my BIL starting 15.

O'Driscoll had a day out & was brilliant but I must admit there was a shedload of good backs on show it was actually pretty scary how good both games were for running rugby.

The backs that really impressed me from the two matches: Youngs (Eng), Sexton (Ire), Farrell (Eng), Twelvetrees (Eng), O'driscoll (Ire) & Zebo (Ire).
They all really stood out plus you add in players like Jamie Roberts, Rob Kearney, Chris ashton etc who didn't have their best games last night but we all know can carve up and it starts to look pretty sweet for Gatland.

Best of the forwards: Cian Healy (Ire), Heaslip (Ire), O'Brien (Ire), Best (Ire), O'mahony (Ire), Evans (Wales), Ken Owens (res hooker Wales), Parling (Eng), Youngs (Eng) & Lawes (Res Lock Eng).

Lautua finished strong for Wales but like the rest of the Welsh backrow was completely outplayed for the 1st 70 minutes.

Didn't get to watch the England v Scotland game as in depth because of the kids but I'm sure there was some Scots that deserve a mention, good to see Maitland get a try on debut.

Standout player: Brian O'driscoll.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My opinion on the Lions FB after yesterday is that if Hogg or Goode travel I would expect them to be in with the dirt trackers. If fit I'd expect Kearney and Halfpenny both to be in the test squad. I'd prefer Kearney to start but there's not much between them and I'd be happy to see either have 15 on their back.

Hugh it was probably a good decision not staying up for England v Scotland. It was a typical England v Scotland game. Scotland get the hopes of the "neutrals" up but fade badly, plus Ashton does something to make people hate him even more. Scotland started off well and got their try but their poor discipline let England regain the lead too easily. Once England were ahead it never really looked like Scotland were going to win.

Scotland remind me of Ireland under Eddie O'Sullivan in that there's only one tank of fuel. They go out and empty that at the start and hope to be ahead enough that momentum will bring them through. But like EOS's Ireland once the opposition go ahead there's nothing there for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th big effort needed to swing momentum back in your favour. It might be enough for them at home against Italy, Wales or even Ireland to win or make them pretty tight games. But teams in form know they need to weather that storm and let them punch themselves out then execute their own game plan to bring home the victory.

On England there's not the best team in the world and certainly not the prettiest but something they have over the other 3 home nations is they are ruthless. One sniff of blood and they are in for the kill. This is what makes them so dangerous to us next week.

On Ireland's chances of the title or a GS I'm worried about every game. We've blow so many GSs when we've been the best team in the competition, be it losing to a poor French team simply because they're our bogy team and we can't shake that mental block, or being beaten by a terrible Scotland team and going on to win what were supposed to be the tough games or slipping up against an up and down England or Wales team who then lose their next one.

This year even the Italy game will worry me simply because if we get to that stage with 4 wins some people will be over confident already declaring Ireland the GS champions. This year for me is too close to call and it's going to be a nervy ride but whatever the outcome I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Italy 23 France 18 wow! What a performance and what a result. So happy for Italy that they held out right at the end with France camped in their 22. Delighted for Italy whatever happens the rest of the 6Ns for them they're proving they fully deserve to be at the top table. France GS in tatters, still not out of the championship but lots of work to do.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surprised no mention of the England backrow, they were outstanding. Tom Wood made the most tackles and hit the most rucks, Robshaw great support play and Morgan excellent carrying. Then chuck in Faletau and Beattie's solo performances and Heaslip & O'Brien. Plethora of options there, some very good players will miss out. If I was picking on just those 2 games and with an on eye on balance I'd go for 6. Wood 7. Robshaw 8. Heaslip

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The Breadman has been disappointing since That Tackle in RWC 2011.

Some "interesting" selections from the Welsh. Tipuric should have started. Some poor decision making in the backline.

What was it with the surface at the Arms Park? Has there been a lot of rain over there in the last week or so?

The coaches will be looking for improvement (better decision making, and elimination of basic errors) from both teams as the competition unfolds.

In the unlikely event that that is as good as it gets, then we have nothing to fear when the Big Red Lions Machine rolls up here in June/July.
The surface is a nightmare to maintain because the ground doesn't get enough daylight even though the grass is on trays and taken in and out. With the combination of the pitch and L'idiot referee it was a miracle the game was so good as it was.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Italy 23 France 18 wow! What a performance and what a result. So happy for Italy that they held out right at the end with France camped in their 22. Delighted for Italy whatever happens the rest of the 6Ns for them they're proving they fully deserve to be at the top table. France GS in tatters, still not out of the championship but lots of work to do.
Very 'proud' of the Italians that all the work and sacrifice put in by the Irish, Welsh and Scottish unions to get the Italians up to speed has been vindicated. Maybe the next time some arrogant English pr*ck starts spouting bollix about how the Italians should have their game set back by not being involved in the Heineken cup this game will be cited as further evidence. Fingers crossed Mike Ross is going to be ok for the ORCs although D'Arcy looks like being a bit of a doubt. EDIT they are now saying the only question mark is Earls. Ross was cramp and D'Arcy dead leg. Hope that is true!!!

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
The Italian commentators were just about in tears again. They get very very involved, desperately trying to be objective but lapsing into, "Vai! Vai! Forza Italia!". God bless 'em. Brunel is a shrewed fella. Started with Botes, a solid 9 at best, instead of the talented but still erratic young Gori, paired with Orquera, Italy's best attacking 10 but a total liability in defence. It worked. Orquera had his best game in a blue jersey and Botes provided solid, reliable service. With 20 to go, when Italy wanted territory, he subbed Orquera bringing on Kris Burton, a limited 10 but solid defender with a very strong boot. All that said, France were as rubbish as only they can be when things go wrong.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez and I never recorded this game!!!!!! So pleased for Italians, surpried I never got a call from son in Bologna just to let me know how happy he is. This sure helps to make comp awful interesting, and would be bloody good for Italy if they can knock over Scotland which I always thought them a pretty good chance of doing. France coming right against either Ireland or England could be team that decides winner.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Very 'proud' of the Italians that all the work and sacrifice put in by the Irish, Welsh and Scottish unions to get the Italians up to speed has been vindicated. Maybe the next time some arrogant English pr*ck starts spouting bollix about how the Italians should have their game set back by not being involved in the Heineken cup this game will be cited as further evidence. Fingers crossed Mike Ross is going to be ok for the ORCs although D'Arcy looks like being a bit of a doubt.

D'Arcy been so good this season this is the first time in about 5 years I'm worried that he's an injury doubt.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Just watching a replay of Italy-France now. How come Chabal was playing? What happened to that animal number 8 the French had against the Wallabies? I can't imagine he's injured, since he seems basically carved from rock.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Good game though, if anyone is interested in watching a youtube highlights video of an Italy-France game from a few years back? (And how confusingly labelled does this video want to be?
)

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
RBS 6 Nations Championship

TeamPlayedWonDrawnLostForAgainstPoints
1 England 1 1 0 0 38 18 2
2 Ireland 1 1 0 0 30 22 2
3 Italy 1 1 0 0 23 18 2
4 France 1 0 0 1 18 23 0
5 Wales 1 0 0 1 22 30 0
6 Scotland 1 0 0 1 18 38 0

Status