• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RC - Wallabies vs Springboks, Gold Coast Sunday 12 September 8:05 PM

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Fabulous first post. Welcome Jeffrey.

The Lions chances changed dramatically in the third game when, not by choice, they had to introduce a 10 with creativity.

Boks v ABs will be the one to watch. One being a grind where the Boks say "try and score some points" and the ABs "try to keep up on the score board".

WBs will give the Boks a taste of it, but probably are not the real game in town for them. Feel free to admire the Bok game, for most of us it is negative, dull, uncreative. If it proves consistently to be successful I'd hope either rules or interpretations change for the betterment of the game. The Bok athletes are incredible, their discipline is excellent. I'll be behind them against the ABs but despite the reality, I'll be cheering for an Earthquake tonight. ;)
I can guess where 23 All Black players, squad, & staff will be after their game against Argentina. Watching how the Springbok play against Australia & cheering the Wallabies on.:cool:

Reactions: dru

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I can guess where 23 All Black players, squad, & staff will be after their game against Argentina. Watching how the Springbok play against Australia & cheering the Wallabies on.:cool:

Maybe we could smuggle a couple of ring-ins onto the pitch????

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Hes better than Paisami and Ikitau for sure. He doesn't have their explosive power in contact but he can do all the other things a rugby player is expected to be able to do like kick and pass. Hes also experienced and won't take the wrong option 8/10 like those blokes.
So now you're claiming that Hodge is a better outside centre than these guys (and this has to be your argument as its the only position where Paisami and Ikitau overlap)....

What is this even based on? Hodge has played primarily 12 or 15 for his club side, and has hardly shown anything in the last 3 years. Now you could potentially argue that the reason he hasn't looked like breaking a tackle is that he's consistently in poor teams rather than a lack of ability itself - either way he hasn't demonstrated much.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make but it reads as though you think that the players who have started the tests are entitled to stay there there because they were selected to start. I don't think anyone is rewriting history, we're all focusing on the now, which is pretty shit. It's never bothered me ever seeing Reece Hodge's name on the teamsheet anywhere, I've always been a supporter.
This is an open question to any of Kiwi/ Saffer posters - has anyone seen Reece Hodge's name on a team sheet and ever been slightly concerned?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So now you're claiming that Hodge is a better outside centre than these guys (and this has to be your argument as its the only position where Paisami and Ikitau overlap)..

What is this even based on? Hodge has played primarily 12 or 15 for his club side, and has hardly shown anything in the last 3 years. Now you could potentially argue that the reason he hasn't looked like breaking a tackle is that he's consistently in poor teams rather than a lack of ability itself - either way he hasn't demonstrated much.
Based on Paisami and Ikitau being fucking shithouse.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nah, that’s a an excessive comment.

You act as though Hodge is someone who has proven himself at test level, he hasn’t. He has had some really shitty performances as well
He's done a lot more than Ikitau or Paisami.

Paisami in particular has been very disappointing. He'd be copping a lot more flak if the players around him wern't even worse.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Paisami in particular has been very disappointing. He'd be copping a lot more flak if the players around him wern't even worse.

he has done more over the course of his career purely by virtue of playing more matches, he has rarely done more in single match.

Theres a reason he hasn’t been able to lock down a starting position or preferred position after nearly 50 test caps

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Nah, that’s a an excessive comment.

You act as though Hodge is someone who has proven himself at test level, he hasn’t. He has had some really shitty performances as well
The bloke isn’t even a star at Super level

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

I’ve been very critical with Paisami in the past and similar to Hodge he is limited in his unique way. I think Rennie sees this and he’s reluctant to truly lock down Paisami in a position.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The bloke isn’t even a star at Super level
The thing about him though is he is reliable as a placeholder in the Wallabies. The other players regarded as placeholders eg Banks have been awful and make a net negative contribution at test level.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The thing about him though is he is reliable as a placeholder in the Wallabies. The other players regarded as placeholders eg Banks have been awful and make a net negative contribution at test level.

his issue is he has never suitably locked down a position in either Super Rugby or Test level where he he been the best player in that position, he is a fantastic athlete but I just don’t think his individual skills are actually that good, besides a long boot.

even when he played 5/8 last year, he wasn’t a playmaker or distributor his role was to truck it up or boot it long.

I think he is an example of a player who has suffered as a result of their versatility and was never allowed to really develop specific skillsets for a position.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
his issue is he has never suitably locked down a position in either Super Rugby or Test level where he he been the best player in that position, he is a fantastic athlete but I just don’t think his individual skills are actually that good, besides a long boot.

even when he played 5/8 last year, he wasn’t a playmaker or distributor his role was to truck it up or boot it long.

I think he is an example of a player who has suffered as a result of their versatility and was never allowed to really develop specific skillsets for a position.
Set up the try with a neat little chip didnt he?

This is the Australian obsession with flair and attack. Hodge is rock solid, hence the 50 caps.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Set up the try with a neat little chip didnt he?

This is the Australian obsession with flair and attack. Hodge is rock solid, hence the 50 caps.

Nah, referring to fundamentals like the inability to effectively pass left to right, he regularly carryies the ball under one arm, he has poor foot work for a back and generally makes a poor read of defensive alignments..

I think he is an adequate utility player, which is where his 50 caps have come from, but it was his athleticism that carried him there.