• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RC - Wallabies vs Springboks, Gold Coast Sunday 12 September 8:05 PM

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nah, referring to fundamentals like the inability to effectively pass left to right, he regularly carryies the ball under one arm, he has poor foot work for a back and generally makes a poor read of defensive alignments..

I think he is an adequate utility player, which is where his 50 caps have come from, but it was his athleticism that carried him there.

That's little harsh. But hodge is not close to Paisami. And Ikitau show more promise too. 15 v Banks recent form is baffling though.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Put some money on the Wallabies today.

It’s obviously against the odds but I’m hoping the Wallabies are taking a bit of ‘fuck what everyone else thinks’ attitude into this one and does the unexpected

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’ve got my head around most of the selections now, I can understand giving the Swinton/Valetini combo another run even though it hasn’t worked as they’re both very physical players, plus we’re a bit light on in the row departmeant and either could have to jump in there.

Im still totally bemused by Banks keeping his spot though. His form aside, with QC (Quade Cooper) at 10 it defies logic why Hodge wasnt selected at 15 and switch them in D. Maybe they thought Quade just needs to concentrate on the main job and that’s fine, but Hodge should have at least been used to reinforce the defence up the back. the Saffers game plan is easy to pick - high balls to Banks and de Allende running at the 10/12 channel.

Last edited:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Pocock, Folau, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Drew Mitchell, Naiyaravoro, QC (Quade Cooper), Genia

The forward pack has not been much to be ‘concerned’ about in the 6-10yrs but the backline has had a lot of firepower that just never quite clicked or never had enough time together or in the same positions.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’ve got my head around most of the selections now, I can understand giving the Swinton/Valetini combo another run even though it hasn’t worked as they’re both very physical players, plus we’re a bit light on in the row departmeant and either could have to jump in there.

Im still totally bemused by Banks keeping his spot though. His form aside, with QC (Quade Cooper) at 10 it defies logic why Hodge wasnt selected at 15 and switch them in D. Maybe they thought Quade just needs to concentrate on the main job and that’s fine, but Hodge should have at least been used to reinforce the defence up the back. the Saffers game plan is easy to pick - high balls to Banks and de Allende running st the 10/12 channel.

Just completely agree. The're obviously seeing something that is hard for the dedicated fan to see.

God it's good seeing Quade on the pitch wearing yellow.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Pocock, Folau, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Drew Mitchell, Naiyaravoro, QC (Quade Cooper), Genia

The forward pack has not been much to be ‘concerned’ about in the 6-10yrs but the backline has had a lot of firepower that just never quite clicked or never had enough time together or in the same positions.
Really? They all concerned you? Can't recall many Kiwis admitting that. Pocock and Genia probably the exception. Anyway, 2 fits comfortably into the one hand analogy.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Really? They all concerned you? Can't recall many Kiwis admitting that. Pocock and Genia probably the exception. Anyway, 2 fits comfortably into the one hand analogy.
Yeah - as individual players, these guys had skills and talent that could have done a lot of damage.
A combination of immaturity, positional inconsistency and lack of a a really good forward pack and an era of a great AB team were what gave AB fans confidence

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Why the fuck do you interview QC (Quade Cooper) at that time? Faaark - just let him prepare for a massive game

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’ll
Yeah - as individual players, these guys had skills and talent that could have done a lot of damage.
A combination of immaturity, positional inconsistency and lack of a a really good forward pack and an era of a great AB team were what gave AB fans confidence
I’ll give you Folau, and Beale on his day, some of the others could do something freaky at times but overall I reckon youre up to 4, with the other 6 making up the other digit to complete the hand. Even if you’re right, that’s 10 players spanning about a decade and the point of the original post was that Hodge isn’t a scary pick for the opposition. Like 85% of our picks historically, and 95% of them currently.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I’ll

I’ll give you Folau, and Beale on his day, some of the others could do something freaky at times but overall I reckon youre up to 4, with the other 6 making up the other digit to complete the hand. Even if you’re right, that’s 10 players spanning about a decade and the point of the original post was that Hodge isn’t a scary pick for the opposition. Like 85% of our picks historically, and 95% of them currently.
OK sure - didn't relise you were an AB fan for the last 10yrs :rolleyes:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Its a stupid argument. Who scares the ABs? no one. they win 95% of their games.
David Pocock, was definitely a guy who concerned us.

Regardless of all the accolades Hooper gets, he'll never put the same kind of fear into oppositions the way he did.

Anyway - Hodge isn't even close to concerning anyone.