• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RC - Wallabies vs Springboks, Gold Coast Sunday 12 September 8:05 PM

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Not the most exciting rugby game ull ever see but the nailbiting finish was enough to make it interesting. Any day you can get a win over the world champions is a good one. I honestly thought we looked sloppy and tactically naive at crucial times throughout the game. But the effort was there and we did enough good stuff to give ourselves a chance to win it at the end so it wasnt all bad. Its an important win for rennie, who would have targeted at least one heavyweight scalp from the RC.
I thought the boks were pretty average honestly, certainly by their lofty standards. Itll be interesting to see whether they tweak the game plan next week and play even a little bit of rugby. Both teams will need to be better.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
And he wasn’t getting great distance, so definitely something to work on. A bit of kick protection for those box locks may have helped Tate a bit too…

Just on clearances, it was pretty telling that the Boks would rather have their 1st 5 standing extremely deep to clear the ball. I don’t think Rennie will want that.
Yeh not great distance and pressure meant some kicks unde pressure so almost straight up to keep it from clearing outside 22. I felt over using box kicks to exit out of our 22.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
End of the day there is wider audience and just because he does not appeal to me and others sure does not mean right given his profile for Stan to choose. But I am also allowed to express my view that not a fan. My bro comments can be misterpreted as I know what I meant by this but others don’t. To me (my opinion only) SBW relies on just playing the cooper love / matey thing to make up for the fact not comfortable in front of the camera as new to media (hey I would be frigging awe full in front of the camera but I am also not choosing to make a living from it).

Love Sbw as a player but yeh not yet as media commentator. But that may change as in fairness I thought he was a lot better tonight then last week! I think people play the small P card too readily as if I criticised Phil kearns no one comments but criticise sbw we get some grandstanders (not you as your comments were defending him on your views he adds value etc).

We know why he is on there because he is high profile footy player people look up to - I just hope his media skills improve to match this as we are not now watching him play footy but listening to his ability to commentate on it.
Fuck it man. He may not be the most eloquent and to be honest i didn't think he'd be any good either. But i've found myself agreeing with just about everything he's said and it's cool to have a voice there who isn't some prissy GPS bitch crying about the old days.

He's only just starting out as well - so i reckon he'll get better.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
To me (my opinion only) SBW relies on just playing the cooper love / matey thing to make up for the fact not comfortable in front of the camera as new to media (hey I would be frigging awe full in front of the camera but I am also not choosing to make a living from it).

That's a touch low, RN. Looked genuine to me.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fuck it man. He may not be the most eloquent and to be honest i didn't think he'd be any good either. But i've found myself agreeing with just about everything he's said and it's cool to have a voice there who isn't some prissy GPS bitch crying about the old days.

I don’t disagree he won’t get better. I was more probably defending crticism made last week of him as he was bad imo but as I said thought much better this week. This got lost somehow in this. And yeh what I do like is he can give a perspective as top league and rugby player...

man we hammer players etc on here every week when they have a shit game but does not mean we don’t love them when they come good

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Quade was very good. A little rusty with his passing but underplayed his hand and actually defended very well in the 10 channel. 8 from 8. Not too shabby.
A few tweaks for next week maybe? Swain to start if fit. BPA to start if available with FF (Folau Fainga'a) out of the 23. White to start with Tate coming off the bench. Paisami to play at 13.
Exciting game and a lot of grit shown by our blokes. There is something to be said about experience

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Sigh - the usual brainless comment from you. So if I criticise Phil Kearns as a commentator it means I am anti private school.

I don’t think much of Phil kearns or sbw as commentators and to me some of the best are in league with Peter sterling and Phil Gould. But that probably makes me anti union.

whatever dude.
As opposed to the year 4 standard drivel that you're offering here? Play the ball, not the man, champ.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Quade was very good. A little rusty with his passing but underplayed his hand and actually defended very well in the 10 channel. 8 from 8. Not too shabby.
A few tweaks for next week maybe? Swain to start if fit. BPA to start if available with FF (Folau Fainga'a) out of the 23. White to start with Tate coming off the bench. Paisami to play at 13.
Exciting game and a lot of grit shown by our blokes. There is something to be said about experience
Yeah Swain in, Rodda to the bench for Leota IMO.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I thought the post match exchange between QC (Quade Cooper) and SBW was really quite touching. You don't normally see those exchanges in that kind of forum and it beats the hell out of the usual platitudes.

Otherwise I tune out most of the studio shit, since they are just recounting what I've witnessed with my very own eyes.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

I thought Iki played well. Was robust in defence which is what is needed when the Boks play bash ball.
Keep Tate to start as there is potential there with Quade.
Agree with Swain coming in.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
As opposed to the year 4 standard drivel that you're offering here? Play the ball, not the man, champ.
Err to me you were inferring my criticism of sbw was because he did not go to gps so your comment hardly playing the ball champion.

Did not take you long to reinforce that with your year 4 comment. You just seem to like to play the political correctness card to cast dispersion on others. Dude you only ever play the man and not the ball when ever you comment to me. As you have never sought to debate me but only insult me me which really not interested in.

It was much better for everyone when you did not reply to my Comments so how about you go back to your hole and stop others having to read the fact we don’t like each other.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Err to me you were inferring my criticism of sbw was because he did not go to gps so your comment hardly playing the ball champion.

Did not take you long to reinforce that with your year 4 comment. You just seem to like to play the political correctness card to cast dispersion on others. Dude you only ever play the man and not the ball when ever you comment to me. As you have never sought to debate me but only insult me me which really not interested in.

It was much better for everyone when you did not reply to my Comments so how about you go back to your hole and stop others having to read the fact we don’t like each other.
The world's 'aspersions'. Stan hiring expert commentators that aren't from the same cookie cutter is not 'political correctness', it's alleviating boredom. And I had no problem with you up until you decided to get personal. Learn to accept that when you state opinions on a forum, people are going to disagree with them. Otherwise it stops being a forum and starts being an echo chamber.

Edit: For what it's worth, 100% agree with you on Sterlo. Not on Gus though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, that was much more enjoyable to see..........

Since we're all obsessed with what changes to make for the next match - I'd probably just dump out Fainga'a, Rodda and Swinton for Kaitu'u, Swain and either Wilson or Samu or Leota, or whoever doesn't lose the ball every time they're tackled.

And kudos Quade Cooper.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not the best game from McDermott, but I think we need a horses for courses approach with our halfbacks, and I'd be all for him starting against the All Blacks again but White a better foil for the likes of the Boks and probably Argentina too........

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The world's 'aspersions'. Stan hiring expert commentators that aren't from the same cookie cutter is not 'political correctness', it's alleviating boredom. And I had no problem with you up until you decided to get personal. Learn to accept that when you state opinions on a forum, people are going to disagree with them. Otherwise it stops being a forum and starts being an echo chamber.
We seem to have problems with interpreting each other’s written words. As I have no problem with differing opinions, I just resented your inference i was criticising sbw because not a gps.

And you may wish to recall you actually started all this bad blood some time ago by posting personal criticism slighting those in very derogatory fashion (including specifically me) to other posters on those who expressed different views to yourself on where to for super rugby. This was an unprovoked personal attack started by you. I am hence gob smacked by your comments above. Best we don’t respond to each other’s comments as life is too short as would have thought after our initial blow up initiated by your personal attacks on me and other posters on where to super rugby this would have been obvious solution which was going well for a while. Anyhow I am not responding to any more of your posts as this is really getting boring for others having to read all this. Not to mention don’t have time for patronising comments telling me ‘I need to learn...’

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

You can't coach speedy replies.
"And I'm still waiting for the rent" :D