• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Great to see AJ Gilbert hasn't given up on the Super dream and has been noticed by a franchise. You really like to see guys who stick at it getting some recognition. Hope he goes well when given a chance..ala Beau R.

T

tranquility

I remember watching AJ when he was in the u19 team that made the final, and he was playing in tandem with Pocock. Even though he was a year older, he was the more dominant backrower and I was so excited when we signed him at the Reds, convinced we had found our long term 7.

The bloke just did not step-up which was a massive disappointment, let's hope with his second stint at the big-show that he can deliver upon that massive potential he showed as a youngster.

K

Keithy

Sorry bud. McCalman signed on for 2 last year. Unless there is a clause or he is released, the earliest you'll get him is 2014. Richard Brown will be off contract at the end of this season.

Don't know about Higginbotham but I don't remember him having signed on with the Reds recently so he might be a good target.

The Rebels should take a peg at one of the two Brumbies backrowers- Fainga'a or Hooper. White won't play both of them so one of them should end up frustrated warming the bench (if that).

McCalman is 1 year with a 1 year option. If he doesn't takeup the option then he is free to leave at the end of 2012.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
A

Army_Gav

Puff piece. Didn't even consider it as my daily news round.

Apparently the squad in the print version is a copy/paste from Wikipedia.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
doubtful he'll ever go to league.
his position within rugby and the wallabies means he'll never make as much money in league as he does in rugby.

higginbotham would be superb.

looking forward to a sell out v the tahs and a significantly more entertaining game than last years.

D

daz

I want the Rebels to be successful as much as anyone, but let's be a bit careful on expectations for the year. I don't know what the club have written down as a pass-mark for the year, but winning more than last year would be a good start.

Forget finals in 2012. Seriously. That is abridge too far right now. Forget also how much of an impact JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale will make. They will make a positive difference for sure, but they are not going to win games by themselves.

The Rebels need to make AAMI stadium a fortress and the fans need to help make that happen.

We have all banged on about the defensive liabilities of this team and while I am sure this has been worked on at training, you cannot make a bloke tackle. Mental toughness required.

I do not expect the Rebels to seriously trouble the top 7 teams (although the odd upset is always on the cards), but they should get a few wins on the board away. The win against the Force last year in Perth (which I was at) was a fantastic event and they need to remember what that felt like.

Good luck to them and I will be sitting in my seat at each home game willing them on (the game against the Reds the exception to that rule). Let's hope they put on a show and when they do lose games, at least go down swinging.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

Thanks, dobber. I looked for you in the TV coverage of the Australia Day citizenship ceremony but apparently you haven't been prepared to follow your destiny yet.

Unlike the Pundit from the Peninsula and many others I didn't get to see Kurtley as a schoolboy, but I can't help reflecting on how good the kid could have been if he'd had a Bart Cummings preparation instead of a T.J. Smith one.

And the other thing that occurs to me is that the emergence of Kurtley and some other brilliant kids in his team papered over the fundamental sclerosis of the Joey's rugby system.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." We ignore that universal truth to our detriment.

D

daz

I note that young Nic Stirzaker is not in trial squad. Anyone have an idea why he is not getting a run? I've heard some good things in the media about him out of Sydney Uni.

If he is not injured, I would have thought a bit of game time in a trial match would have been a good test for the young bloke, even if he is the third string scrummy.

A

Army_Gav

I note that young Nic Stirzaker is not in trial squad. Anyone have an idea why he is not getting a run? I've heard some good things about him out of Sydney Uni.

If he is not injured, I would have thought a bit of game time in a trial match would have been a good test for the young bloke.
The list is wrong. You'll notice some players are missing and are playing at 2 positions during a quarter. I've emailed them to correct it.

H

high tower

I note that young Nic Stirzaker is not in trial squad.

If he is not injured, I would have thought a bit of game time in a trial match would have been a good test for the young bloke, even if he is the third string scrummy.

He played one or so games of first grade shute sheild and half a season of colts last year.

Phipps played for the wallabies last year and held the tackle bags at the world cup. Kingi was unlucky not be in front of Phipps and Cordingley last season.
Be a better idea to get the top two max game time while the red head pays some over dues.

D

daz

Phipps and Kingi will get plenty of game time, both in the trials and the season proper.

I don't think a 10 minute spell on the field by the "red head" during a single trial game will destroy the chances of Phipps and Kingi having a good season, do you?

However, I think that 10 minute spell in a trial game against another S15 team will perhaps tell the coaching staff a whole lot more about how that "red head" is tracking than a few intra club hitouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.