• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
McCutcheonis off contract, a Uni unit (so well known to the coach) and a good 7, not the out and out fetcher, but a good 7

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
The weakness is still the pack next year, but with Higgers and the improvement shown by the locks, it's starting to look a bit better. They're still short one or two really top class forwards, though, especially if you want to be in the finals.

everyone says that but i really don't reckon our pack is that bad.
if we go
henderson, ged, weeks
Pyle Jones/Neville
Saffy, Chamberlain/Davidson and Higgers
I really don't see how its a weak pack
with replacements of blake (who has been improving week in week out), neville, davidson i think we're in a decent position. i agree we need probably another prop to cover henderson and possibly a back row.

mech4bg

Allen Oxlade (6)
Our pack has improved massively over the last few weeks. Pretty surprised and happy with how they've gone.

We've also stopped sucking _quite_ so much at lineouts, but both set pieces definitely still need work.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Unless dispensation is given by the ARU, that's correct.

Yeah and that's something people often don't understand.

The ARU don't give a shit if Lipman is as Australian as a kangaroo, it's his eligibility for the Wobs that they are looking for. Rightfully so I'd say.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Unless dispensation is given by the ARU, that's correct.

I thought that the rules governing the Rebels use of overseas players was distinct from other Aus franchises.

My understanding was that the number of spots available for "imports" decreases by 2 every year until they are left with the same 1 international "marquee" spot and 1 development "will qualify for Aus in 3 years" spot.

Only once the Rebels number of import spots is aligned with the rest of the conference will the same rules regarding 2 year max contracts also come into effect.

That being the case, Lipman's contract can be extended without ARU dispensation until the year the Rebels are only allowed 2 import spots and then they could re-sign him for that year and the following before needing ARU dispensation.

It took me awhile to figure this out thanks to the transparency of the ARU's operation, so if I'm wrong it's back to the drawing board and a beer.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
My understanding was that the number of spots available for "imports" decreases by 2 every year until they are left with the same 1 international "marquee" spot and 1 development "will qualify for Aus in 3 years" spot.

That is also my understanding and only found this out when a forum member posted the info yonks ago.

The ARU would have done well to offer the same deal to the Force when they started up.

The problem when assessing the Rebels needs for next year is the uncertainty as to how long the contracts of their present players are for. It's only when we see reports, for example, that Delve is going to play in France next year, that we find out that his contract ends 1n 2012.

Has anybody worked out a definite 2013 roster to date yet, and with the contract end years of the players on it - without any "I thinks" or "I'm sures" in it, so we can work what gaps have to be filled?

D

daz

The Rebels have been a different team over the last month in regards defensive ability, commitment and capability. I wonder if Muggleton's coaching work is now being fully felt, or have the players made a pact to man up, or a bit of both?

I don't want to get into a big discussion on the merits of the Rebels with Cipriani and post-Cipriani, mainly because I am not convinced the new-found defensive work is related to his departure, but whatever the reason, the Rebels have started drinking the tackling gatorade. The defensive work on the line and has been amazing recently. Even rushing up in a line to pressure the attacking team has been a new found skill.

I'm a basically lazy human being, so does anyone have the stats on hand to show the percentage of missed tackles v completed tackles for the season up until the end of April, and the same percentage for the last 3 weeks?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't think professional players make pacts to "man-up", I think they just finally start executing their system and whatnot.

D

daz

I don't think professional players make pacts to "man-up", I think they just finally start executing their system and whatnot.

Not sure about that en_force_er. Don't teams regularly make commitments to each other, game goals, personal goals, etc?

I'm sure I heard Delve speaking recently about the guys getting together in the shed and having a chat about going harder at the man.

I don't doubt systems and execution of those systems is most of the answer, however....like Quade Cooper, at some point people just have to decide to tackle. Look at Cooooopeeer Vuuunaaa. Couldn't hold on to his unmentionables when taking a leak last year, let alone complete a tackle. Now, he is smashing blokes all over the park.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Has anybody worked out a definite 2013 roster to date yet, and with the contract end years of the players on it - without any "I thinks" or "I'm sures" in it, so we can work what gaps have to be filled?

When someone does, they should add Chris Thompson, the ex Waratah, Warringah and Norths lock, who has signed for 2 years.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
When someone does, they should add Chris Thompson, the ex Waratah, Warringah and Norths lock, who has signed for 2 years.

Sorry, the Rebels have signed another lock? Really? Sesh, I would have said we could do with one lock less then we've had this year, has anybody even mentioned James King?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Speaking to a friend of mine today who is quite 'in the know' when it comes to things rugby, particularily with the Rebels (he confirmed the Higgers move a week before it was official but I refused to believe my favourite player would ever leave the Reds...). He was telling me a couple of young former Australian academy players (Waratahs, Rebels, Reds) who ended up moving to France to get fulltime contracts are on their way back to Australian shores, specifically to the Rebels and they have come from Stade Francais. At the moment this is only a rumour as I've read nothing about it (i've searched a few euro-rugby website for info) but if so...could this be a possible link to Cheika taking up some sort of position at the Rebels? Has anyone else heard anything of this sort or know more about the movements of European based Aussies?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Blair Connor might be a decent buy for the rebels.

He is a speedy winger, cut from the reds at the end of 2010, but has flourished in the top 14 since.

He wouldnt set the world alight, but if the rebels are willing to sign lloyd johnason I wouldn't rule it out.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I always thought he was a classy player. Played a lot with Jesse Mogg and I thought he was much better than Mogg.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Speaking to a friend of mine today who is quite 'in the know' when it comes to things rugby, particularily with the Rebels (he confirmed the Higgers move a week before it was official but I refused to believe my favourite player would ever leave the Reds...). He was telling me a couple of young former Australian academy players (Waratahs, Rebels, Reds) who ended up moving to France to get fulltime contracts are on their way back to Australian shores, specifically to the Rebels and they have come from Stade Francais. At the moment this is only a rumour as I've read nothing about it (i've searched a few euro-rugby website for info) but if so...could this be a possible link to Cheika taking up some sort of position at the Rebels? Has anyone else heard anything of this sort or know more about the movements of European based Aussies?

Get your friend to link us an article.

If there are no articles and this proves true, you may have a very connected friend.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Get your friend to link us an article.

If there are no articles and this proves true, you may have a very connected friend.

Thats the problem, there is nothing in the media, as of yet. I'm not trying to gee anything up here, just thought it was some interesting info.

I should mention that he has only informed me of the players coming into the Rebels from France. There was no mention of Cheika coming as well but i'm putting two and two together and it seems logical... if it is true. Apparently the players are due to arrive in Australia over the next few weeks and play in either Brisbane or Sydney club sides (i'm guessing the clubs will depend on where they were based before going o/s) for the remainder of the season so keep your eyes peeled on team lists in the coming weeks. I'd say if a few familiar names pop up who have been o/s then he may be on the money.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Thats the problem, there is nothing in the media, as of yet. I'm not trying to gee anything up here, just thought it was some interesting info.

I should mention that he has only informed me of the players coming into the Rebels from France. There was no mention of Cheika coming as well but i'm putting two and two together and it seems logical... if it is true. Apparently the players are due to arrive in Australia over the next few weeks and play in either Brisbane or Sydney club sides (i'm guessing the clubs will depend on where they were based before going o/s) for the remainder of the season so keep your eyes peeled on team lists in the coming weeks. I'd say if a few familiar names pop up who have been o/s then he may be on the money.

Is one Tala Grey? He's crying out for a Rebels EPS spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.