• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

Ok we'll take taps when he gets back in form this year.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

You might be close to the money there. I don't think the Reds can keep Harris and Taps both on the books after this season.

T

tranquility

He was ours to begin with! We passed him on, but he came back like a boomerang. Albeit it for a whole lot less money. It's a damn shame how his career has halted. He always had major flaws in his game, such as passing and creating space for others etc. However his strength in contact at a young age was the best I have seen for a player of that age. You would think that senior coaches would have been able to work with that trait ala Digby. However something seems to be amiss with the application / coachability.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Man, still with Lachlan Mitchell. He must be pure gold at training and around the sheds.

Veinu and Kingston personify excitement and work ethic respectively, why aren't they starting?!

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
probably because its a trial and perhaps a reward for hard work and loyalty.
I agree that from the outside one would think Kingston would start ahead of Mitchell.
we ALL just have to wait for the opening game versus the boys from Bloemfontein to see where totality tony is really taking us

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm happy to have Lachie as the first drop outside back a la Tom Carter. But this is our best backline at the start of the year:

9. Burgo
10. Hegarty
11. Kingston/Veinu
12. Ellison
13. Inman
14. English
15. Edward

21. Meehan
22. Gus
23. Veinu/Kingston

With Stirzy taking Meehans spot when fit, and Jack D overtaking Gus sometime this year.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Mitchell was impressive in Geelong when he came on. Looks extremely fit and has been mentioned in a few times as training hard.

Pretty good back cover when he covers 11-15 and you have two on the field that can cover 10 if needed.
1: Smith
2: Horie
3: Weeks (Interested to see what Lahiff is like on that side of the scrum)
4: Pyle
5: Jones
6: Timani
7: Fuglistaller
8: Higgers
9: Burgo
10: Hegarty
11: English
12: Ellison
13: Inman
14: Kingston
15: Woodward

Lahiff, PAE, Leafa , Neville, Fainga'a, Meehan, Veinu, Mitchell

Sounds pretty good to me,

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Mitchell was impressive in Geelong when he came on. Looks extremely fit and has been mentioned in a few times as training hard.

Pretty good back cover when he covers 11-15 and you have two on the field that can cover 10 if needed.
1: Smith
2: Horie
3: Weeks (Interested to see what Lahiff is like on that side of the scrum)
4: Pyle
5: Jones
6: Timani
7: Fuglistaller
8: Higgers
9: Burgo
10: Hegarty
11: English
12: Ellison
13: Inman
14: Kingston
15: Woodward

Lahiff, PAE, Leafa , Neville, Fainga'a, Meehan, Veinu, Mitchell

Sounds pretty good to me,

I'd start Colby at 7 but that's just me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Rugby Heaven is reporting Shota Horie came back from Japan with a couple of niggles to his knee and ankle.

Thank god we've got so much depth at hooker.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Anyone else see this in today's hearld sun.
uploadfromtaptalk1392345430496.jpg

Sent from my LG-E975K using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
really? I find it odd. Buddy Franklin? Why are they reaching out to him? And linking in James O'Connor?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Cips, JOC (James O'Connor), Kurtly, Buddy and Cooper (when he was in town) hung out and did stupid shit.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
really? I find it odd. Buddy Franklin? Why are they reaching out to him? And linking in James O'Connor?

Just getting some oxygen down here. Buddy is a walking headline and made a number of cracks at the Rebels after O'Connor's departure.

Clever jab imo.

Jimmy C

Allen Oxlade (6)
Firstly, great game last night from the lads. I only wish I could have heard it all via RebRadio. Came in around the 60th minute. Apparently my wife thinks sitting listening to my iphone isn't what makes a romantic valentines day. So I resorted to sneaky twitter updates during dinner.

Can anyone fill me in on the first 20 minutes and what caused the 13-0 score line ie missed tackles, penalties etc?

A few things I noted from what I heard and have read.

Firstly, WE HAVE A SCRUM BABY!!!! I've heard a few Reds supporters complain about the ref (welcome to rugby I say), but man it's it nice to see (or hear) our scrum finally doing well. I remember at the start of each season, for the past 4 years, people noting that the Rebels one weakness will be our scrum. I think I even heard it late last year. Well fingers crossed, that is now a thing of the past.

Secondly, and this has nothing to do with the game itself. WTF is going on with media coverage of this game? Ok, Quade hurt himself, and I do really really hope he is ok. Get better soon QC (Quade Cooper), I'm a fan and the wallabies are now very good with you in it. However, the Rebels have just gone 3-0 in trials. They have beaten a Tahs team in 40+ heat, with a lot of genuine players in it. They then beat an All Black front row from the Canes, and also shown then can finally hold on to win close games. Then they win against what I see as a very very good Reds team, full of Wallabies. A Reds them that I did believe last week was a genuine threat at the title this year. So when I started going through my rugby sites this morning, what did I get? THE TAHS OVERCOME HURRICANES! FOLEY BEALE FORMING DEADLY COMBO! QUADE POSSIBLE NECK INJURY!.......Oh and the Rebels surprised the Reds. But hey, TAHS OVERCOME HURRICANES! I'm not stupid, the Reds and Tahs are the bread and butter of rugby in the country. And the media will write what they see are 'news worthy' for the majority of their readers. BUT, the ARU and many media outlets have been saying for years now that rugby needs to grow in Australia for it to survive. Media outlets have also critised that past failings of the Rebels, saying they are just a money drain without results. So, when you are finally seeing said team doing well, and beating the so called 'power teams' of the aussie conference, would that cause BIG headlines. Yes I know it was only a trail, and in 7 months time we could all be talking about how disappointing this year has been for the Rebels. But hey, if we want this game to grow around the country, we need to start seeing a better coverage for ALL teams. That also goes for the Force. The moon maybe closer to the east coast than we are to Perth, but they are also part of Australian rugby. Don't get me wrong, the Tahs played a great game against the Canes, and they will be hard to beat this year. But come on media people, lets share the love!

End rant! .........Go Rebels!

Status
Not open for further replies.