• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swandive

Allen Oxlade (6)
Why on earth is JP Peterson on the pine?
They are only allowed to have two foreigners on the field at the same time. Blokes like Daniel Heenan & Holani would have done the three year residency so they are not counted. Barnes & either Vatuvei or Ealey would be taking up the two spots. I'm actually more surprised that Fumiaki Tanaka is on the bench. I don't know this Ealey fella but he must be good.

T

tranquility

Fumiaki is so small. There is a video of him doing of the craziest tackles you will ever see though.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Strange.

It's not like the Rebels have a better 7....
well, for starters in the two trials so far he hasn't played a minute as an openside, and fuglistaler was one of our better performed forwards last year. i am not saying he won't play at 7 i just can't see him getting the gig initially

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
well, for starters in the two trials so far he hasn't played a minute as an openside, and fuglistaler was one of our better performed forwards last year. i am not saying he won't play at 7 i just can't see him getting the gig initially

I just don't know why the Rebels would be wasting such a quality player on the bench.........

It would be like Hooper returning to the Waratahs to sit on the bench behind McCutcheon...........

If he's not going to be a starter he might regret leaving Canberra.........

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I just don't know why the Rebels would be wasting such a quality player on the bench...

It would be like Hooper returning to the Waratahs to sit on the bench behind McCutcheon.....

If he's not going to be a starter he might regret leaving Canberra...

He will still be getting more game time at the Rebels than he would at the Brumbies. For all the talk from Brumbies fans that he should be starting for the Rebels, your coaches still showed little faith in him last year when Pocock got injured.

I know Smith is a legend, but if Colby was ready for full time starting spot you would not have signed Smith on a short term contract.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Looks like Jack debreczeni is free, caydern another week away. Ranga now 6 to 8 weeks - bummer for him.

Watch out for Jack D.

He may not make a big splash in 2014 because he is only 20 years old and is just in the EPS anyway, where he should be. But he can play, and I wouldn't be surprised if he nails down a contract and the starting spot next year.

I'm saying that not because he's another Larkham, but because of the lack of quality the Rebels have in the flyhalf position—or so it appears at the minute.

Jack was the starting flyhalf for West Harbour (in the Sydney Shute Shield) in 2013 when he was 19 and he has a old head on his young shoulders.

For those who don't know him: he is a big lad, 192 cms and about 100 kgs, which means that he not scared of backrowers running at him—and he can kick the ball a mile from hand.

He lacks a bit of agility but otherwise he is a fine young flyhalf, and bears watching.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He will still be getting more game time at the Rebels than he would at the Brumbies. For all the talk from Brumbies fans that he should be starting for the Rebels, your coaches still showed little faith in him last year when Pocock got injured.

I know Smith is a legend, but if Colbyhe was ready for full time starting spot you would not have signed Smith on a short term contract.

It had nothing to do with Fainga'a's abilities.........

The Brumbies already had a fit Pocock when they signed Smith to cover Vaea's spot.........

No team would reject the opportunity to have George Smith play for them.

But that's irrelevant........ Fainga'a is the best open side flanker the Rebels have and it would be madness not to have him in the starting XV..........

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Watch out for Jack D.

He may not make a big splash in 2014 because he is only 20 years old and is just in the EPS anyway, where he should be. But he can play, and I wouldn't be surprised if he nails down a contract and the starting spot next year.

I'm saying that not because he's another Larkham, but because of the lack of quality the Rebels have in the flyhalf position—or so it appears at the minute.

Jack was the starting flyhalf for West Harbour (in the Sydney Shute Shield) in 2013 when he was 19 and he has a old head on his young shoulders.

For those who don't know him: he is a big lad, 192 cms and about 100 kgs, which means that he not scared of backrowers running at him—and he can kick the ball a mile from hand.

He lacks a bit of agility but otherwise he is a fine young flyhalf, and bears watching.

I wonder what team he has been assigned to and whether he will play in the Dewar Shield instead of the SS.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I wonder what team he has been assigned to and whether he will play in the Dewar Shield instead of the SS.

All Rebels are playing Dewar shield if they are not in the Rebels match day squad. (Apparently)
But that's irrelevant.... Fainga'a is the best open side flanker the Rebels have and it would be madness not to have him in the starting XV....

Fainga'a is a better attacking 7, I don't think he is as good defensively as Fuglistaller.

Last weekend Fuglistaller was very good at the breakdown, which is one of the main areas the Rebels have been working on. I'd say TT selections will be based on work at training at not reputations.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I just don't know why the Rebels would be wasting such a quality player on the bench...

It would be like Hooper returning to the Waratahs to sit on the bench behind McCutcheon.....

If he's not going to be a starter he might regret leaving Canberra...

I would argue that we desperately need quality players on the bench.

There's no doubt that Colby will get plenty of chances to show his stuff this season. If he's good enough for the starting spot he'll get it sooner or later. He's going to have to be very good though to push Fuglistaller out of the side.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Watch out for Jack D.

Lee, how would you compare Debreczeni and David Horwitz? IIRC, the rebels went after Horwitz first but ended up with Jack. Is there much between them?

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
But that's irrelevant.... Fainga'a is the best open side flanker the Rebels have and it would be madness not to have him in the starting XV....

Exactly. If Fuglistaller is a better player than Colby I'm an astronaut. If you want evidence, watch a replay of the try he scored against the Rebels in Canberra last year & tell me if Fuglistaller, or any 7 in Oz rugby, could have scored that try. And to suggest his defence isn't up to scratch is laughable. Again, watch a replay of his game against the British & Irish Lions last year & tell me his defence needs work.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Exactly. If Fuglistaller is a better player than Colby I'm an astronaut. If you want evidence, watch a replay of the try he scored against the Rebels in Canberra last year & tell me if Fuglistaller, or any 7 in Oz rugby, could have scored that try. And to suggest his defence isn't up to scratch is laughable. Again, watch a replay of his game against the British & Irish Lions last year & tell me his defence needs work.

It's amazing that Colby Fainga'a isn't the Wallaby number 7. :rolleyes:

The hyperbole surrounding his ability is amazing given how little Super Rugby he has actually played in terms of total minutes.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee, how would you compare Debreczeni and David Horwitz? IIRC, the rebels went after Horwitz first but ended up with Jack. Is there much between them?
They are different players.

David, who also started in First Grade in the Shute Shield last year (for Randwick, when he was 18) is a good stepping kind of flyhalf. Being more dangerous on the run he fixes defenders more than Jack does.

He is not as long a kicker from hand as Jack is and not as good a goal-kicker. He does not take the kicks at goal for Randwick—or at least: he is not the main kicker.

When I saw him kick for the Sydney Academy team last year he was not great, as I remember, but that is a small sample of two games.

His all-round game is decent and often brilliant, but I remember some of his bread-and-butter passing being careless at times for Randwick—though he was adept at long passes to his wingers for long gains or tries.

He is bulking up nicely at 92kgs and is definitely one for the future, but I have the feeling that he has to harden up a bit more.

I described Jack in the earlier post: he is more of a traditional flyhalf, but he can put players into gaps—and working with some of the exciting backs at West Harbour, such as Alofa, he does so.

I think he is more assured at the moment that David is, but why wouldn't he be, being 16 months older and having that extra rugby year out of school?

David will be concentrating right now on getting selected for the Oz Under 20s and it will be tough for him with three guys who can play flyhalf returning.

That's one thing I like about the new Under 20s tournament this year (in Canberra next month). The coaches/selectors will be able to assess players better playing three games, than they ever could at a few training camps.

Details of the tournament are in this blog:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/new-aussie-competitions-part-ii-under-20s/

But I digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.