• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ma'a Nonu wouldn't come and play in Australia. He needs to play for a New Zealand team to be eligible for the All Blacks.

If the New Zealand option doesn't work out and the NZRU can't find him some sort of other arrangement that keeps him eligible for the All Blacks, I'd guess he'll go to Europe or Japan (I believe he was already scheduled to go to Japan at the end of next year for an off season sabbatical).

D

daz

I think that the club has flagged its intentions regarding the player mix quite clearly.

Recruit young talent, strengthen the leadership group with players that bleed the 5 Star statement, and develop from within.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I dont think we would want Ma'a Nonu. We have had enough issues with star players who dont fit into a team culture.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
SMH article about Bernard Foley.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...nd-foleys-uturn-on-rebels-20130729-2quy4.html

"Speaking at Allianz Stadium on Tuesday, where he was given top billing at the unveiling of the side's new major sponsor, Volvo, Foley said loyalty to a team he believed was going places and the chance to pit himself against Beale and Folau had convinced him to stay."

I'm clearly too hung up on this Foley dud transfer. Really need to let it go!

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
SMH article about Bernard Foley.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...nd-foleys-uturn-on-rebels-20130729-2quy4.html

"Speaking at Allianz Stadium on Tuesday, where he was given top billing at the unveiling of the side's new major sponsor, Volvo, Foley said loyalty to a team he believed was going places and the chance to pit himself against Beale and Folau had convinced him to stay."

I'm clearly too hung up on this Foley dud transfer. Really need to let it go!

I haven't quite let it go either Tex, you're not the only one.

Reading between the lines it would seem to indicate that Bernard and the 'tahs management knew KB (Kurtley Beale) was coming back, ore at least a 99% sure thing. Makes the Issac Moses bleeding-heart argument a little weak if you ask me. Would also have to think the ARU were pulling some strings here to move KB (Kurtley Beale) back home.

Then again you really need to wonder why Bernard would stay if he knew his starting 10 jersey was on shaky ground. Does he want/need the competition that badly?

Also backs the comments here by blues recovery regarding the decision not to renew Beale. Once again our man in the know was right. One gold star for you.

AFL_Converted

Ted Thorn (20)
I have to agree about Nonu. Leave him in NZ, trouble follows him. If we went for the high profile marque rout again I would love to get a genuine international (like Jonny Sexton). I though he was quality when over here with the lions. A real standout that could pass, kick, run and tackle.

It is moot though as Blues Recovery has indicated it is about value for money and IMO blokes like Jones, Pyle and Neville have delivered the goods more consistently for the club than the "big names" we have signed (Higgers the notable exception).

In regards to Foley, his comments were all media sound byte. He is hardly going to come out and say anything negative about a bloke the club is very likely to sign, he has to play with and has a track record of punching out team mates ;-).

I think he flipped on the contract because NSW were able to match or at least get close to what the Rebels were offering. Had NSW been able to do this in the first place it would have never been an issue. I just wish for once a player would come out and say "I stayed because they could match the money". They can follow up with club culture all they like it was $$$.

I would have loved to see Foley at the Rebs as I rate him highly. Right up there with Matt To'omua (another I would love to get down south but also not likely).

Any chance we can get Coleman for 2015. He cannot seem to get a run at the Brumbies unless others are injured and is too good a player to waste in club rugby. Size is an issue but with his speed and agility I see him in a similar role to Aplon at the stormers.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Any chance we can get Coleman for 2015. He cannot seem to get a run at the Brumbies unless others are injured and is too good a player to waste in club rugby. Size is an issue but with his speed and agility I see him in a similar role to Aplon at the stormers.

There's all kinds of rumours about him moving clubs as early as 2014 because you're right, he's too good to bench.

With our Outside back stocks I doubt he'll be a Wallaby but he's a Super Rugby starter no doubt.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Foley's decision to turn down the Rebels' offer and stay with the Tahs, knowing Beale was returning, is becoming stranger and stranger. For the good of Australian rugby, the Rebels, the Tahs (they should develop Volavola), and, more importantly, himself Bernard should've headed south. What good's it going to do that lot if he ends up stuck behind Beale?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the backline is more likely to be
Phipps, Foley, Crawford, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau, Beale
McKibbon, Volavola, Lance
So Foley staying doesn't confuse me too much.

Edit: Forgot about Jono Lance, sorry Betham.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
McKibbon, Volavola, Betham
Where does Jonno Lance fit in there though? Don't think he'll be too happy to be depth again.

Sent from my AMAZE-731 using Tapatalk 2

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
I continue to be amazed that the Rebs and more importantly the ARU allowed Foley to back out on a signed letter of intent.
It is unprecedented in Aust Rugby for a player to back out at this point.
Goes to the quality of the young man unfortunately though.
Disappointing .

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Foley staying may be what he wanted, but there is no way he really stayed to compete with Beale for a starting position. I think he was under a different impression about Beale when he decided to stay with the Tahs.

Don't believe the article at all, just saying what he is told to by his management and the Tahs.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I continue to be amazed that the Rebs and more importantly the ARU allowed Foley to back out on a signed letter of intent.
It is unprecedented in Aust Rugby for a player to back out at this point.
Goes to the quality of the young man unfortunately though.
Disappointing .
Didn't Genia do the same thing?

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I'm with you there blues recovery - those just aren't that easy to get out of. You sign the letter binding you to the franchise, then you wait (in one case I know of, 3 months!) for the contract to be completed and drawn up and ok'd by the agent, the ARU, RUPA and the franchise.

The letter of intent is written exactly the same as a letter of offer when you start a job. By signing it you indicate that you will work for them under those terms. There are no 'out' clauses contained in the letter, and the letter itself is legally binding once signed by the CEO, the player and, depending on the franchise, the coach or football operations manager.

The only way I can see that it was done so neatly was if he changed his mind before one or both of the other parties signed it. Sneaky, and very disappointing.

And KevinO I agree that Foley was saying what he was told to say, not what he believes. We'll never know for sure, but knowing even a couple of the behind-the-scenes coaching and player movements going on at the time, I'd be shocked if his decision to back out was motivated by some desire to "pit himself against Beale and Folau". No professional rugby player signs up for benchwarming duties! (I think Jono Lance might be in a similar position now that Foley is staying and Beale looks like returning)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If we're going to talk seriously about the Argentines, the excellent Nicolas Vergallo (a very underused 9) and the extremely talented but often injured Tomas Leonardi. They're both about to come off contract from the Kings.

That being said, if we could get one of the two Argentinian hookers to replace Ged that'd be ideal. They're both extremely good and even though their names escape me the fatter one can cover prop too.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
McKibbon, Volavola, Lance

Edit: Forgot about Jono Lance, sorry Betham.

With Beale, Foley and Volavola in that team there's no way Lance plays over Betham.

Status
Not open for further replies.