• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It would be terrific for the Rebels to get big Paulie - he's a great lad - but as a player he has been injury-prone in the last few years.

As a coach he might need an interpreter though: his speech is pure Limerick.

On Seymour - he's a goodish player but he's literally a journeyman - a man who has been on a lot of journeys in his short rugby life. Don't count on him staying around.

On the ITM - its a terrific opportunity for the likes of PAE to be playing in it against quality opposition.

We are lucky that we have NZ handy and young blokes like him can get a gig over there.

We should have our own ITM, but it's an old song I sing.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
It would be terrific for the Rebels to get big Paulie - he's a great lad - but as a player he has been injury-prone in the last few years.

As a coach he might need an interpreter though: his speech is pure Limerick.

It would be purely in a coaching role, the money for Paul to finish his career abroad is never going to be worth it with the deals these guys are on in Ireland. The IRFU will be payment for playing your whole career in Ireland is huge, it's why POC, BOD and O'Gara never went to France.

Think he would be a great coach if his leadership abilities are anything to go by.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
They'll throw the kitchen sink at him and should have the money available to at least match the Brumbies contract.

It would come down to his ambition to play in other low level team and build it up, to play in his hometown, versus playing under a top coach in an elite system.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
It would be purely in a coaching role, the money for Paul to finish his career abroad is never going to be worth it with the deals these guys are on in Ireland. The IRFU will be payment for playing your whole career in Ireland is huge, it's why POC, BOD and O'Gara never went to France.

Think he would be a great coach if his leadership abilities are anything to go by.

I think you mean the favourable tax payment, not IRFU payment. Irish sportspeople who finish their career in Ireland can claim back 40% of the tax they paid over a 10 year period (or something like that). That's worth a lot of money.

You won't see many Irish players playing abroad once they start to get into the mid parts of their career for that reason.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think you mean the favourable tax payment, not IRFU payment. Irish sportspeople who finish their career in Ireland can claim back 40% of the tax they paid over a 10 year period (or something like that). That's worth a lot of money.

You won't see many Irish players playing abroad once they start to get into the mid parts of their career for that reason.

Actually have to have spent there whole career with a Irish province, means only a hand full of Irish players will ever leave unless they are young and the money is to good to refuse. (Sexton)

It's a good way to get players to stay, the payment is made by the IRFU not the government. 40% of ROG, POC and BOD tax would be like bailing out another bank.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Actually have to have spent there whole career with a Irish province, means only a hand full of Irish players will ever leave unless they are young and the money is to good to refuse. (Sexton)

It's a good way to get players to stay, the payment is made by the IRFU not the government. 40% of ROG, POC and BOD tax would be like bailing out another bank.

Pretty sure it's a government policy, thought it was brought in around the early 2000s by a government minister - it has nothing to do with the IRFU. I've seen it used to refer to sportspeople outside RU. Too lazy to Google it though.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Pretty sure it's a government policy, thought it was brought in around the early 2000s by a government minister - it has nothing to do with the IRFU. I've seen it used to refer to sportspeople outside RU. Too lazy to Google it though.

Your right it is a government thing, although it really only applies to Rugby as a Irish soccer player is not going to profit from competing in Ireland instead of Europe.

Other sports in Ireland are still claiming not to be professional.

Anyway back to Rebels related stuff.

Reactions: Ash

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Your right it is a government thing, although it really only applies to Rugby as a Irish soccer player is not going to profit from competing in Ireland instead of Europe.

Other sports in Ireland are still claiming not to be professional.

Anyway back to Rebels related stuff.

It is an 'artist' clause, doesn't only apply to sports persons. Hence U2 is still Irish.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
sitauti once again really good for the BOP in ITM.

lahiff not so wonderful, seem to be beaten by BOP tighthead at scrum time, did a few things around the ground. i suspect he will be toby smiths understudy at LH next year.

i didnt see waikato v otago, how did smith and PAE go ?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I've watched both of Northlands games so far in the ITM. Firstly, they're a fucking fun team to watch.

Secondly, I think Seymour could be 2014's Betham. Can we sign him before he ends up the 2nd string 10 at a Kiwi side (he's dual qualified)?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
No need to worry yourself there, efe, St Catastrophe of the Injuries'll take care of that problem.

I thought the modern approach to such a strenuous campaign was squad rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.