• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Neville is going to be pissed and rightly so. I don't mind Sita in scrums and he does get some good hits in but he can be a bit lazy and isn't much chop in lineouts.

I was looking forward to a pack like this:
1. Smith
2. ??? (actually have no idea who should/could start here)
3. Weeks
4. Pyle
5. Neville
6. Jones
7. Fainga'a
8. Higgers

16. Hooker 2.0
17. Lahiff
18. PAE
19. L Timani
20. Fugli/Jordy

That's assuming Saffy is gone too. I can't see Neville as a bench player in that so I imagine he would get squeezed out for Sita Timani. As Lindommer said though, through injury I expect Sita will spend about as much time in a Rebels jersey as KB (Kurtley Beale) did.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Now that is an interesting story.

I don't know where he'd play though, between Jones, Pyle, and Neville I feel like we owe it to Aus rugby to not hire him.

They may be finally planning to use Jones as the backrower he is, that would allow Timani, Pyle & Neville to rotate through the season while all are fit. That isn't too bad an option, with Higgers & Jones @ 8 & 6 that has to looks of a decent unit with Colby & Fug sharing 7

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Reading between the lines, if he signs with Melbourne I would say (sadly) Saffy might be on the way out. If I logically put things together Timani would be brought as a tight forward (which would give us at least 4 in the squad), Luke Jones would be classed as a loose forward (who can play tight if required) and there may not be an additional place for Saffy when you consider the amount of loose forwards on our books. I hope I am wrong about this because I've been a big fan of his work this year. Then again, it could be a Timani shopping technique and he might be wanting to get back to the 'tahs at a higher price.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Then again, it could be a Timani shopping technique and he might be wanting to get back to the 'tahs at a higher price.

Hope so, personally think he is lazy around the park and would not really suit the Rebels attaching style. Pyle, Neville, Higgers and Jones are all workhorse's and Timani would be injured during pre-season trying to match them.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I've watched both of Northlands games so far in the ITM. Firstly, they're a fucking fun team to watch.

Secondly, I think Seymour could be 2014's Betham. Can we sign him before he ends up the 2nd string 10 at a Kiwi side (he's dual qualified)?

I missed the last game but was just reading about it, sounds pretty good seeing he scored all the points.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Hope so, personally think he is lazy around the park and would not really suit the Rebels attaching style. Pyle, Neville, Higgers and Jones are all workhorse's and Timani would be injured during pre-season trying to match them.
Nah, he isn't lazy. He plays a bit wider than I'd like, and he doesn't use his body as effectively as he could, but he's nowhere near as bad as people making him out to be. Competition and depth are good things. I'd be very happy to pick him up. Our scrum would tighten up and he would give us a harder edge.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nah, he isn't lazy. He plays a bit wider than I'd like, and he doesn't use his body as effectively as he could, but he's nowhere near as bad as people making him out to be. Competition and depth are good things. I'd be very happy to pick him up. Our scrum would tighten up and he would give us a harder edge.

Absolutely. People are crazy if they don't think Timani would improve their Super Rugby squad. I can't really think of any Super Rugby squad where he wouldn't make the matchday 23.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Yep. A locking combo of Timani and Pyle basically gives you the perfect tighthead-loosehead balance people have decided is absolutely crucial over the last year or so. He sorts the scrum out and the lineout would still be fine. Pyle can obviously jump, Jones and Higgers are fine, so you've still got three jumpers minimum.

I still really seriously want a 12 and maybe another 10, but I will be very, very, happy if Timani signs.

I'm excited about Situati as well. He showed flashes in his tiny minutes at the end of last year, but he's been excellent in his two ITM games so far. If he keeps this up he'll be penned in for the starting XV - we've been desperately needing some serious gas out wide, he'll deliver it.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Part of me feels unfaithful for not supporting the younger guys like Neville and Jones, but this is a professional sport and we should snap up all the talent we can.

Competition for places never hurt anyone, nor does having quality squad depth and a killer bench.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
If Sitaleki Timani signs for more than 1 year, I think it's a great option. If he only signs for one whilst he shops a better deal for the following year, Jog on!

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Maile Hingano played a great game for Manly Marlins in the Shute Shield on Sunday .He is only 20 (has had a fair share of injury) but would be a great signing for 2014

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
He is showing the promise he had at school. Some lads show it the year after, and some take 3-4 years to adjust to the senior scene - some never get to the elite level they did at school, especially the forwards.

From watching him on TV it looks like Maile is somewhere in between.

That's good news for some Super team I reckon.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
If Sitaleki Timani signs for more than 1 year, I think it's a great option. If he only signs for one whilst he shops a better deal for the following year, Jog on!

Sign him for one. Then he can go to the Reds and have the distinction of being the first player (?) to have played for 5 different Super Rugby sides.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yep. A locking combo of Timani and Pyle basically gives you the perfect tighthead-loosehead balance people have decided is absolutely crucial over the last year or so. He sorts the scrum out and the lineout would still be fine. Pyle can obviously jump, Jones and Higgers are fine, so you've still got three jumpers minimum.

Except for around the park where Pyle plays loose and Timani plays looser. He's a touch cookie to find a balanced partner with.

You add Higgers into the mix and you've got a whole forward back sitting in the far channel.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Except for around the park where Pyle plays loose and Timani plays looser. He's a touch cookie to find a balanced partner with.

You add Higgers into the mix and you've got a whole forward back sitting in the far channel.
Pyle plays a very similar game to Neville in fairness, they both play pretty loose. Higgers tightened up significiantly this year. I'm sure a lot of that is coaching as well. Players don't just decide to go hang out in the wider channels because they feel like it, well, most of the time anyway. Jones and Colby in the pack gives you the ability to have a couple of guys running wider anyway. Unless Neville has an immense pre-season, Timani is pretty clearly the better player at the momemtn.

Status
Not open for further replies.