• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
That page seems to have been pretty accurate up until now?
It's been pretty accurate but, like everything on Wikipedia, the information is only as good as its sources.

At least references are cited for the listing of those two players. If you check them, though, you'll see that they merely refer to the Rebels Player Profile page, as retrieved on 5 September 2013.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
That site isn't that reliable. In the Force section it names the 2014 squad as including Nick Cummins, Pat Dellit, Winston Stanley and Rory Walton. There have been no official press releases indicating that any of those players have re-signed.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Jack Debreczeni, Ben Meehan and Sean McMahon will join current Rebels EPS players Pat Leafa and Cruze Ah-Nau at the commencement of 2014 pre-season in mid-October.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Two hookers in the EPS? Is Horie the only one left in the main squad or is there one more?

As a selfish Waratahs fan, I'm hoping that the signing of Debreczeni indicates that Horwitz is more likely to become a Waratah.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Look like Essendon missed out on Jack, good for us. I couldn't seriously see anyone wanting to join that club in the near-term. Good to get se depth into that role, big wraps on this guy.

With Cruz and Pat sticking about who drops off the EPS again? Assuming bryce was upgraded ages ago.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
McMahon is a great signing. 7s player who will really challenge for the starting side.

Definitely not 100% convinced on Meehan yet after U20WC but the lad must be doing something right.

There goes another two of QLD's young talents.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Where will McMahon fit in? Backrow is somewhere we actually have decent depth. Higgers and Timani Jr. at 8; Jones and Higgers at 6; Colby, Reid and Fuglistaller at 7.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Two hookers in the EPS? Is Horie the only one left in the main squad or is there one more?

Scrap that. I thought McMahon was a hooker but that appears to just be a 7s thing.

It does seem strange that the Rebels have signed another backrower though in the EPS. That seems to be an area where they have a ton of players.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah I'd say he is probably a 6 nowadays, not sure if he's played too much at openside. In his days at Nudgee and as an Aust Schoolboy he was a no.8 but doubt he has the necessary size just yet.

6/8 who also has the speed to play 7. Not a bad pick up IMO.

T

tranquility

McMahon will be much better than either of Fuji or Reid, even if he is playing out of position. Reid does alot of poor stuff.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah I'd say he is probably a 6 nowadays, not sure if he's played too much at openside. In his days at Nudgee and as an Aust Schoolboy he was a no.8 but doubt he has the necessary size just yet.

6/8 who also has the speed to play 7. Not a bad pick up IMO.
Cheers. Sounds a decent get.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
No locals in the EPS again. Seriously? It's year 4.

Obviously the Force are no shining beacon of success but they'd squeezed a lot more players out of a less successful junior pool by this stage.

Sigh, hopefully Super B will be their gateway.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Look like Essendon missed out on Jack, good for us. I couldn't seriously see anyone wanting to join that club in the near-term. Good to get se depth into that role, big wraps on this guy.

With Cruz and Pat sticking about who drops off the EPS again? Assuming bryce was upgraded ages ago.

Oztimmay at the start of this year our EPS were Ah Nau, English, Hegarty, Reid and Dyer. Reid, English and Hegarty have been upgraded. Dyer has dropped off. Leafa was in our main squad this year, he was promoted when Manu left and was replaced in EPS by Ah Nau.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Debreczeni and McMahon sound quite good. I saw Meehan play a few games with Storm Under 20s, he looked ok.

En_force_er it would be good to have a Vic in the EPS. Hopefully with 10 players or similar in our own academy most of them will be Vics. We also missed out on Vic Tala Grey coming back from France (although given our squad there was probably no room for Tala).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Debreczeni and McMahon sound quite good. I saw Meehan play a few games with Storm Under 20s, he looked ok.

En_force_er it would be good to have a Vic in the EPS. Hopefully with 10 players or similar in our own academy most of them will be Vics. We also missed out on Vic Tala Grey coming back from France (although given our squad there was probably no room for Tala).

Tala is very much deserving of a full contract and we couldn't give it to him. EPS is IMO for people's first foray into professional sport and Tala is a Top 14 starting player.

It's fair enough for the Rebels to say "we really tried for Lelo and Taps, plus look how Lloyd went", but the reality is there will never be a right time to promote a local until 3 or 4 years after he's made the big time and the decision looks retrospectively like a no-brainer. There's no time like the present and we've waited long enough.

Ball up I say, the loosey in the EPS is so incredibly unlikely to see game time that hiring a local instead just makes sense.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Tala is very much deserving of a full contract and we couldn't give it to him. EPS is IMO for people's first foray into professional sport and Tala is a Top 14 starting player.

It's fair enough for the Rebels to say "we really tried for Lelo and Taps, plus look how Lloyd went", but the reality is there will never be a right time to promote a local until 3 or 4 years after he's made the big time and the decision looks retrospectively like a no-brainer. There's no time like the present and we've waited long enough.

Ball up I say, the loosey in the EPS is so incredibly unlikely to see game time that hiring a local instead just makes sense.

I agree with your sentiment, but the loosie in the EPS is probably the most talented of the lot.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
En_force_er I was talking about missing out on Tala in the main squad not the EPS. Sorry if I sounded like I thought he should have been in the EPS. I was just mentioning another Vic we missed out on.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I agree with your sentiment, but the loosie in the EPS is probably the most talented of the lot.

Then sign him to the main squad really. There's no exuse, there's been a youth developement program in place here for years now.

En_force_er I was talking about missing out on Tala in the main squad not the EPS. Sorry if I sounded like I thought he should have been in the EPS. I was just mentioning another Vic we missed out on.

Fair enough, my sentiment remains though.

Status
Not open for further replies.