• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Bit put off by all the home games being on a Friday night.
It would be nice to mix things up a bit and have some variation.

Yeah, but it's nice and clean for TV scheduling and you have to pay the piper somehow.

Plus it works out for those involved in club or schools footy, so there's that.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Putting the Friday scheduling thing aside for one second, I'm stoked that we are going to see some top-notch teams at AAMI park this year. Aside from the oz derbies (which I always love) we get to see the Crusaders and the Sharks. WE open with the Cheetahs (2013 finalists) and the Hurricanes (always tough). We also get to play the Bulls and Chiefs (away), which will be a big challenge for us. Stormers and Blues fall off our playing list next season, won' be losing too much sleep over that.

Bring on 28 February! We need some revenge against the Cheetahs; i still remember the day (actually it was our only day match) that they beat us on the siren. Time to show 'em who's boss of AAMI park.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rebels should invite the Stormers over the week before Super Rugby starts for a trial match. They don't play each other in the regular season and both have the first week off.

Jimmy C

Allen Oxlade (6)
All home games being on Friday nights is no great surprise due to the scheduling of Aami Park. The Storm, Victory & the Heart all have to get their games in as well. Also keep in mind there is a very fine line when it comes to balancing sport around the AFL. As much as I'd love to see more games on Saturdays and even the odd afternoon game, I'm just happy to have rugby in Melbourne. BRING ON 2014!!

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
If we can't get 25 000 to the game on Good Friday against Western Force something is wrong. The game is the only sporting event on that day.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fair enough, but didn't we only get 24k against Auckland?

We gave away plenty of free tickets and I'd say there's more Kiwis then Westies in Melb.

Auckland was a Thursday night after work, this is a Friday where their is nothing to do unless you fancy a trip to the Rip curl pro. Should be massive marketing with the country comp as they have a chance to make the trip for the game.

Problem with this one might be pre-game pubs.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Auckland was a Thursday night after work, this is a Friday where their is nothing to do unless you fancy a trip to the Rip curl pro. Should be massive marketing with the country comp as they have a chance to make the trip for the game.

There is always a way to find Beer :)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Yeah, I'm not doubting the set-up but I am doubting the drawcard.

We'll see I guess. Hopefully they chuck a few free tickets out to the public to get it over the line.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Not the greatest schedule but them's the breaks. We don't really have the pulling power or runs on the board to justify the prime time Saturday night slot.

I'll echo some of the other posts and dream about another Saturday late afternoon fixture in the sun, bars selling full strength drinks to us plebs in GA, followed by some carousing up and down the Richmond strip.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
To go off on a tangent, as I often do, fuck Dean Mumm is playing a great captains game for Exeter in England. Wouldn't mind the Rebels dangling their Uni connections in front of his face to get him here in 2015 for a potential WC squad birth.

He's in career best form, is a great leader who's been there done that, and as a lock/flanker who's in form he could easily make the WC squad as a utility (wouldn't be in anyone's best 23, but you've got to play the minnows too).

Thoughts?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
To go off on a tangent, as I often do, fuck Dean Mumm is playing a great captains game for Exeter in England. Wouldn't mind the Rebels dangling their Uni connections in front of his face to get him here in 2015 for a potential WC squad birth.

He's in career best form, is a great leader who's been there done that, and as a lock/flanker who's in form he could easily make the WC squad as a utility (wouldn't be in anyone's best 23, but you've got to play the minnows too).

Thoughts?

A bit off topic, but barring injuries, we will have locks/back rowers coming out our ears in the next few years - lots of them current Rebels. Pyle, Neville, Jones, Faainga, Reid, Higginbotham in addition to Horwill, Fardy, Carter, Douglas, Mowen, Pocock, McCalman, Dennis, Skelton, Cottrill, Schatz, Gill, Quirk, Hooper, Vaea, Auelua, all of whom I would prefer to Dean Mumm. Don't think he will be needed.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Thoughts?

Is that the same Dean Mumm who everybody said was half the Tahs problems the year before he left? You know, the one who most posters thought should never have got a Wallaby jersey and really deserved no better than Uni thirds?

Strange how they can be that good once they're gone. Dan Parks played a lot of games for Scotland, never got a Super tryout. Brock James was another one who couldn't even hold a spot at the Force. Rugby keyboard warriors are such good judges! (me included).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is that the same Dean Mumm who everybody said was half the Tahs problems the year before he left? You know, the one who most posters thought should never have got a Wallaby jersey and really deserved no better than Uni thirds?

Strange how they can be that good once they're gone. Dan Parks played a lot of games for Scotland, never got a Super tryout. Brock James was another one who couldn't even hold a spot at the Force. Rugby keyboard warriors are such good judges! (me included).

It is, I was shocked too as I'm no Dean Mumm fan.

He scored two tries in his most recent game and, more importantly for a lock, ran for lots of tight metres and made lots of tackles (in a dominant scrum no less). They've even seen fit to name him captain. Say what you want about the English league, the tight 5 work is tough so he's not just adding to the retirement fund in Japan.

Him ever playing Wobs again is unlikely but we could use an older lock somewhere in the squad and the only other eligible one is Chisholm (also a captain, but in France) who in nowhere near Mumm's form.

Plus, in Mumm's defense he was pretty good for his first year or two in the Tahs.

A bit off topic, but barring injuries, we will have locks/back rowers coming out our ears in the next few years - lots of them current Rebels. Pyle, Neville, Jones, Faainga, Reid, Higginbotham in addition to Horwill, Fardy, Carter, Douglas, Mowen, Pocock, McCalman, Dennis, Skelton, Cottrill, Schatz, Gill, Quirk, Hooper, Vaea, Auelua, all of whom I would prefer to Dean Mumm. Don't think he will be needed.

Worse players have come back to Australia with potential WC honours as a bargaining chip.

I guess I should have mentioned the WC more as a drawcard than a likelyhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.