• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
People just need to change clubs now and then, refresh themselves. That's why they play better when they move elsewhere.

And maybe they were just a little bit better than the keyboard warriors thought they were. According to the peanut gallery Mumm, Barnes and Tom Carter were the three worst players ever to pull on a Waratah jumper.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Mumm just isn't someone the Rebels need right now. And frankly I'd rather see Melbourne be a place where the most talented kids in Australia want to come and play, because they know they'll get a shot, not a nice soft landing for players on their way out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And maybe they were just a little bit better than the keyboard warriors thought they were. According to the peanut gallery Mumm, Barnes and Tom Carter were the three worst players ever to pull on a Waratah jumper.

You could add Rob Horne to that list prior to 2013.

If the internet is to be believed, Cliffy Palu is probably nipping at their heels as well.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)

To be fair, most of the criticism laid on Mumm was for his Wallabies performances. He always seemed to do pretty well at the Waratahs. Barnes was the complete opposite.

You'd be better off chasing Mark Chisholm.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
To be fair, most of the criticism laid on Mumm was for his Wallabies performances. He always seemed to do pretty well at the Waratahs. Barnes was the complete opposite.

You'd be better off chasing Mark Chisholm.

I've watched both like a hawk because I'm of the opinion that Australia needs an experienced lock (even if it's just to run around at training holding a shield and dishing out advice).

Both these blokes have been seen fit to lead their clubs in 2013-14 and Mumm has been the better of the two.

To show I'm not off my head (not everyone has Setanta and can see the performances for themselves) so here's a link.

This link is a European team of the week list, where Dean Mumm is listed on the current article. The article says:
Lock: Dean Mumm, Exeter Chiefs
Leading from the front as ever, Dean Mumm put in another captain’s performance against Gloucester to hand the Cherry and Whites their second home defeat in three outings at Kingsholm.
As well as grabbing his third try of the campaign, Mumm was a force for the visitors from the first whistle to the last.
It’s probably due to the lock’s stamina that he’s yet to score in the first half of a match this term, instead seeming to outlast his opponents.

Boys, I'm not telling porky pies. Here's another.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
My ever reliable snouts across the Tasman are telling me the Rebels have made a HUGE offer to Ihaia West from Hawke's Bay Magpies. Rebels have also spoken to Manuwatu 10 Jade Te Rure and the Taranaki 10 Beaudein Waaka. I guess missing out on Bernard Foley, losing KB (Kurtley Beale) and pissing JOC (James O'Connor) off is forcing them to look hard elsewhere. West would be a good signing.............but all 3 kiwis are still VERY roar.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
I've watched both like a hawk because I'm of the opinion that Australia needs an experienced lock (even if it's just to run around at training holding a shield and dishing out advice).

Both these blokes have been seen fit to lead their clubs in 2013-14 and Mumm has been the better of the two.

To show I'm not off my head (not everyone has Setanta and can see the performances for themselves) so here's a link.

This link is a European team of the week list, where Dean Mumm is listed on the current article. The article says:

Boys, I'm not telling porky pies. Here's another.

Mumm should be standing out over there. It is after all, club rugby over there.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
My ever reliable snouts across the Tasman are telling me the Rebels have made a HUGE offer to Ihaia West from Hawke's Bay Magpies. Rebels have also spoken to Manuwatu 10 Jade Te Rure and the Taranaki 10 Beaudein Waaka. I guess missing out on Bernard Foley, losing KB (Kurtley Beale) and pissing JOC (James O'Connor) off is forcing them to look hard elsewhere. West would be a good signing.....but all 3 kiwis are still VERY roar.

WOOOO! I was talking about that earlier in this thread. Ihaia West has been absolutely lighting things up. I will be so very, very, happy if we sign him. I don't care how roar, or even raw, he is - he's a gem.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
In my opinion Pyle is mentally weak and fragile. His bubble is certain ly about to burst. Neville is the answer for them and Jones at 6 is a rough diamond waiting to shine brighter. Will be interesting to see what happens between Reid and Fainga'a for 7. Both are clearly good club players, with Reid being the harder of the 2, not sure they're up to Super Rugby though. Time will tell.

Seems a much hapier place though since the CEO was removed from office towards end of the season.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
WOOOO! I was talking about that earlier in this thread. Ihaia West has been absolutely lighting things up. I will be so very, very, happy if we sign him. I don't care how roar, or even raw, he is - he's a gem.

hahahaha. You got me on the spell check there DBDR.

Been a long day.

His defence at Super level would be an issue. He's been isolated by opposing teams there a few times in ITM this year. Even been defending out on wing at times, a la QC (Quade Cooper). Could be very risky.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
In my opinion Pyle is mentally weak and fragile. His bubble is certain ly about to burst. Neville is the answer for them and Jones at 6 is a rough diamond waiting to shine brighter. Will be interesting to see what happens between Reid and Fainga'a for 7. Both are clearly good club players, with Reid being the harder of the 2, not sure they're up to Super Rugby though. Time will tell.

Seems a much hapier place though since the CEO was removed from office towards end of the season.

How do you figure? Neville is a long way from being a good Soup player at the moment. His body position is abysmal, doesn't actually know how to play rugby especially well - he's just a beast of an athlete.

As for the two 7s, there's no way Reid is harder than Fainga'a. Reid is reckless in that Beau Robinson way, but he's not unusually hard. Colby is by far the better player of the two at the moment. It's not even close right now.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

He's a very raw gem, as Knuckles said.

I'd love to see him play some 15 and transition slowly into a 10, but I don't think we'd have that luxury.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
How do you figure? Neville is a long way from being a good Soup player at the moment. His body position is abysmal, doesn't actually know how to play rugby especially well - he's just a beast of an athlete.

As for the two 7s, there's no way Reid is harder than Fainga'a. Reid is reckless in that Beau Robinson way, but he's not unusually hard. Colby is by far the better player of the two at the moment. It's not even close right now.

Neville has a massive motor and how should I say it? Isn't as far up himself as Pyle is. And tbh, Pyle's body position is not exactly beyong reproach either there mate.

We'll see on Reid and Fainga'a. But my point being that can they step up to Super Rugby level? I hope they do, jury is out at the moment though.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
hahahaha. You got me on the spell check there DBDR.

Been a long day.

His defence at Super level would be an issue. He's been isolated by opposing teams there a few times in ITM this year. Even been defending out on wing at times, a la QC (Quade Cooper). Could be very risky.

He's a big upside player. High-risk, high-reward.

I've always liked that in a flyhalf to be honest. He can light a game up, can move a team around the park, can make things happen off his own back. He's young and exciting and the sort of person you want to get along to see. If he flakes out, he flakes out, but he's well worth the crack when our other options are Roberts (blech) and Hegarty - who I quite like but is still far from being a top notch flyhalf.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
He's a very raw gem, as Knuckles said.

I'd love to see him play some 15 and transition slowly into a 10, but I don't think we'd have that luxury.

I don't either. Plus I would assume Jason Woodward has the 15 locked away. I also believe he's Australian eligible.

Back to the 7's though, is Fugistaller back for 2014?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Neville has a massive motor and how should I say it? Isn't as far up himself as Pyle is. And tbh, Pyle's body position is not exactly beyong reproach either there mate.

We'll see on Reid and Fainga'a. But my point being that can they step up to Super Rugby level? I hope they do, jury is out at the moment though.

Ahh, I have heard that about Pyle. The exact quote was 'what a dickhead.' We'll see though, not sure that exactly equates to being mentally weak. He was in great form this season, if he can keep playing like that I'll be happy enough. Agreed on Neville's motor, it's ridiculous for a man his size. Again, he's a big upside player. It's an exciting position to be in.

The one I'm most excited about is Jones though. I've been talking him up for the last two years, hoping this is the year when he finally explodes and puts the entire competition on notice.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Back to the 7's though, is Fugistaller back for 2014?

He is. I imagine the early pecking order will be Fainga'a - Fuglistaller - Reid.

I wonder whether they'll play a bit of dual-7s at times, against certain teams anyway. Shifting Jones in to lock then playing Fainga'a at 6, we could see a seriously mobile pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.