• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Don't know if it's been noted here, but Sean McMahon (GPS & Australian Sevens) is apparently with you lot next season, according to today's Courier Mail up here.

Your paper is a bit slow. The Rebels announced that signing a few weeks ago. He picked up an EPS spot.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
This is interesting:
The Club are still considering their options to fill the remaining two spots on the roster for 2014. General Manager Rugby, Sam Cordingley, said that the Club is looking both domestically and abroad to sign another flyhalf and another lock.

I would've thought we don't need another lock.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Really don't think we need another lock, between Pyle, Neville and Jones with Thompson as a back up we have good depth their.

Another young scrum half and a fly half with some experience would be nice. We only have 2 scrum half's in the squad.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Really don't think we need another lock, between Pyle, Neville and Jones with Thomson as a back up we have good depth there.

Did Thomson get any game time this year? If he did, it wasn't much. Makes me wonder why he came back from France.

PS. Don't worry about your spelling, KO, Norths here in Sydney call him "Thompson".

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
The tinfoil hat wearing side of me says that's a subtle hint that Sita Timani may still sign with us. I'm still not sure how I feel about that.

I agree.

I'd be very happy if he signed though, even if it is just for a year or two. Despite the flack he gets because people have decided he's lazy, he's easily in the best 3 or 4 locks in Australia. Probably the best scrummaging lock we have at the very least. He's a hard bastard, draws defenders, can put a serious hit or two on, and can be really pretty destructive on a good day. There's still a fair bit of work that can be done to improve his game, but he's pretty damn good already. His lack of lineout ability, which again is slightly overstated, is largely negated by the fact that Jones and Higgers can jump.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Did Thomson get any game time this year? If he did, it wasn't much. Makes me winder why he came back from France.

He was captain of the Rebel Rising side, didn't get any game time that I can remember.

King only got 1 game in his 2 years at the Rebels with a few minutes off the bench against the Brumbies.

D

daz

He was captain of the Rebel Rising side, didn't get any game time that I can remember.

My understanding was that he was brought over to mentor and assist in the development of the current squad locks, who at the time were pretty inexperienced and raw. Game time for Chris would be dependant on our first choice locks not being available.

IMO, if he was good enough to warrant game time, I suppose he would have got some. Clearly that wasn't the case.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Chris isn't a particularly talented player despite being blessed with height. He's not THAT bad though and it's surprising he hasn't even been given a crack, didn't he start occasionally in the year the Tahs made the Super Rugby GF?

That being said, maybe this means Saffy IS actually gone and Luke Jones is being looked at as a full time loosey and not a go-between. If this was a case, it'd be pretty sensible to have 4 locks.

I'd say a scrum half and a fly half would be the two you want.

We've got some bloke from league via Bris rugby in the EPS. Hopefully he's good because as the 3rd scrumhalf it's a forgone conclusion that he'll have to be the bench 9 at some point.

Hopefully our 10 is that bloke from Hawkes Bay, West. Has he been capped for NZ 7s? If not he'd be a mighty fine developement player, even more promising than Woodward.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
That being said, maybe this means Saffy IS actually gone and Luke Jones is being looked at as a full time loosey and not a go-between. If this was a case, it'd be pretty sensible to have 4 locks.

Melbourne Rebels facebook page confirmed he is gone a while ago.

Bob Sparshatt
There's a comment online saying that Jarrod Saffy has been released - is this correct?

Like · · 18 September at 08:22 via Mobile

• Melbourne Rebels - The Official Fan Page Hi Bob. Unfortunately Jarrod will be heading to France to continue his Rugby in 2014. Jarrod has been an outstanding servant to the Rebels in his three years at the Club, both on and off the field. Luckily for the Rebels we have a very strong squad of backrowers competing for a spot in 2014, including new signings Colby Fainga'a and Lopeti Timani. Cheers
    Like · Reply · 1 · 18 September at 09:59 · Edited

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Melbourne Rebels facebook page confirmed he is gone a while ago.

Bob Sparshatt
There's a comment online saying that Jarrod Saffy has been released - is this correct?

Like · · 18 September at 08:22 via Mobile

• Melbourne Rebels - The Official Fan Page Hi Bob. Unfortunately Jarrod will be heading to France to continue his Rugby in 2014. Jarrod has been an outstanding servant to the Rebels in his three years at the Club, both on and off the field. Luckily for the Rebels we have a very strong squad of backrowers competing for a spot in 2014, including new signings Colby Fainga'a and Lopeti Timani. Cheers
    Like · Reply · 1 · 18 September at 09:59 · Edited

Sad news. He's had a great year, but he could probably see the writing on the wall with the new loose forward signings. I would think Luke Jones will have first crack at securing the 6 on his back for 2014.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
We've got some bloke from league via Bris rugby in the EPS. Hopefully he's good because as the 3rd scrumhalf it's a forgone conclusion that he'll have to be the bench 9 at some point.

Ben Meehan was in the Australian U20s this year. He seemed like a really mixed player. Some flashes of great play and some pretty dreadful play. I was a bit surprised he wasn't dropped after a few of the games, but we do seem to be a bit short on talented 9s in Aussie rugby. Pretty sure he is a left-foot kicker which certainly helps.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the new rebels website is up and running. not so user friendly methinks, however they have a full list of who's in for 2014, 33 names inc EPS so far.
on another note it seems that they are revamping the membership categories, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious option for keeping the same seats as previously. i sit with about a dozen regulars on the 22 and don't really want to move. does anyone know if the club is going to directly contact 2013 members or is it open slather from noon tomorrow ?

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Site looks good. I like the link between the players and the relevant social media hooks, makes them a little bit more accessible to the average punter. Good work Adam and SM team!

One think that's worrying me is that I don't see Kimami Sitauti on the list. I hope we haven't let him slip through the net. A real lost opportunity there. With two more spots I guess there is still hope...

on another note it seems that they are revamping the membership categories, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious option for keeping the same seats as previously. i sit with about a dozen regulars on the 22 and don't really want to move. does anyone know if the club is going to directly contact 2013 members or is it open slather from noon tomorrow ?

As for seats I'm just renewing my blue membership. My seat is anywhere behind the post - I have a few to choose from. I find the Beer queue is shorter at the ends :)

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
The team I played for when I was a kid.
The transfer is due to happen soon? I will ask the Media manager to check if he knows something

Sorry, I might be wrong here. Someone in the thread pieced together that he might be going to Narbonne as he's been re tweeting their feed. Someone might call that a long bow, I cann that the only thing that joins this together.

I must say I'm a little disappointed the Rebels haven't made more fanfare about Saffy leaving, considering they gave a lot more fanfare to players who have recently moved on. Perhaps it was Saffy's wish to keep thing slow-key; if so then fine. If not, then lets make more fuss about a player who's given a lot to the club and send him out on a high.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Website looks pretty good, have to ask was their really a need to photo shop Colby into Rebels colors rather than just use a photo of a returning player in the membership section.

Status
Not open for further replies.