• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Higgers is currently 3rd 8 but I can see that changing next year, McCalman is a workhorse but no more than that, and Palu is made of glass. Higgers is the closest player we have to a Read style 8. He has good read of play and is good at creating attack. In 2013 form he'd have been a close pick to Palu but of course his form dropped.

If I had to guess I'd say he was a bit stifled in 14 by the conservative game McGahan fostered, as has Pyle I believe. I completely agree with others here that McGahan's conservative approach is too conservative. I can only hope he revisits the mix for the coming season.

I think the game plan that TT plays has a lot to do with it too. Last year he was more free-flowing (like Pyle) and that allowed him to make his more natural loose game. This year TT has kept things much tighter and Higgers has had to change his style. Naturally that will take adjustment and that may result in a form drop.

Perhaps when they have their season retrospective they might bring things up like this. That have simple benchmark to work from; play like you did against the cheetahs and you will go places.

T

Train Without a Station

BH I'm with you. Time has really passed Fotu by unfortunately. He's 30. A real shame because he would have been very valuable to the Wallabies the entire time he's been in Australia. Just unfortunate his shoulder has spent a lot of that time in a damn sling.

I'd like to see them look at Skelton as a future 8. Solves the line out issue as he is perfectly adequate as a 4th jumper, and also allows him to really play exactly how he did against France (just with a bit higher work rate).

and Wobbly it would be a massive surprise if he was taken on the EOYT. The bloke is 186cm. He therefore would likely be considered at 6 behind Fardy, Jones, Higginbotham and likely McCalman. he played Simmons over Gill there last year so let's say Simmons too. He'd be behind Hooper, Hodgson and Gill at 7. Can't see the benefit in taking a notter that's 4th choice in either position. I'd probably back Link to take Schatz too due to his better utility value.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
and Wobbly it would be a massive surprise if he was taken on the EOYT. The bloke is 186cm. He therefore would likely be considered at 6 behind Fardy, Jones, Higginbotham and likely McCalman. he played Simmons over Gill there last year so let's say Simmons too. He'd be behind Hooper, Hodgson and Gill at 7. Can't see the benefit in taking a notter that's 4th choice in either position. I'd probably back Link to take Schatz too due to his better utility value.

Not to mention he's probably going to the com games 7s and will likely be involved in Olympic qualifiers.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
BH I'm with you. Time has really passed Fotu by unfortunately. He's 30. A real shame because he would have been very valuable to the Wallabies the entire time he's been in Australia. Just unfortunate his shoulder has spent a lot of that time in a damn sling.

I'd like to see them look at Skelton as a future 8. Solves the line out issue as he is perfectly adequate as a 4th jumper, and also allows him to really play exactly how he did against France (just with a bit higher work rate).

I really don't think Higgers has been far off the bench for the Wallabies this year. Even playing below his usual standard, imo he would have more impact on a game off the bench than Ben McC has. A slight lift in his form would put him ahead of Ben. Then, as others have pointed out, Cliff is always an injury risk. I think No8 is shaping as a real problem area again during and after the RC. Is Skelton really mobile enough to take on the defensive aspects of this spot? Cover defending and dropping back to assist the FB on oppositions' deep kicks?

The rest is off topic, but as far as No6 goes, Jones would offer the best like for like replacement for Fardy and should be next in line imo. After that, I'd have Cottrell when fit. I like McMahon, but not sure what his best position will be.

T

Train Without a Station

I think Jones is the best 6 for what Link seems to want. A player who would be the 2nd best line out jumper at the very least in their Super team. Capable of muscling up as a lock, gets through the grunt work but has the big motor and a bit of pace about him.

Really Jones is physically exactly what we want from an 8 in my view. Unfortunately the Rebels need him to play lock, not 6 and 8.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Probably not this year but it wouldn't be a surprise if he was taken on the EOYT as a Wallaby tourist.

Now that we don't play midweek games, the EOYT squad is not really any larger than the rest of the squads picked.

He could go on that tour but there really isn't much place for young development players anymore.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Now that we don't play midweek games, the EOYT squad is not really any larger than the rest of the squads picked.

He could go on that tour but there really isn't much place for young development players anymore.

Yeah I think this EOYT will be all about setting the standard for the World Cup. As such I think the squad will be more or less the world cup squad Ewen is aiming for, barring an injury crisis. As such he'll lean pretty heavily towards guys he already has involved in his setup. There may still be some debutantes but there more likely to be from the training extras in the last squad (Speight, English, Inman) and the guys who he has talked about missing out due to injury (Godwin, possibly Schatz). Anyone else called in will likely already have been capped, ideally during Ewen's tenure.

T

Train Without a Station

With 3 Super Rugby games left, I'd say it's almost an absolute certainty, that nobody who doesn't already currently own either BLK or Asics Wallaby team kit will be getting any.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Except for Speight. McMahon will be in the squad at some stage, 7s permitting. I have no doubt.

T

Train Without a Station

Speight was included in the extended squad, so he'd have a little kit I imagine.

I have more doubt on McMahon personally Reg. Nothing against him, just we have many options at 6 and 7. I see him as a prime Europe target as he is a good player but really will struggle to cement a spot as a Wallaby.

T

Train Without a Station

In all fairness Oztimmay it's viewers and spectators that bring sponsors. They just generally happen to follow the team's performance.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
given the current recruitment drive and some of the games this year you'd have to think that the sponsors would be expecting 'things' next year.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I know it's all conjecture and a sort of accepted tactic to talk to the media about your desire to look elsewhere and put pressure on the next contract offer, but what is it with guys citing being the 2nd/3rd choice Wallaby as a reason to tuck tail and run?

I've never thought of Scott as a silver spoon sort of guy, but if true, that attitude is so patently childish.

As the ARU are severely restricting who they give top-ups to, if you are not in the top 25 players you've got no chance of getting one. So, if you are third pick for your position then you are playing tests for match fees plus your Super contract. This is the reason why Mowen and Douglas are going overseas; there they will get more money than what they will get here and its guaranteed whether they are injured or not.

This is the inevitable result of JON stuffing up the game and then looting the treasury before he left. Pulver's trying to set things right but he's only got ten fingers and there are more holes in the dyke than that.

Reactions: Tex
Status
Not open for further replies.