• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
debrezcini

clearly the rebels are going to be the feeder club for the remaining oz franchises, blooding those who can and weeding out those who can't play. do any of the rebel faithful really believe in 4 -5 years time when they are at their peak we will se PAE, Jones, English or McMahon playing for us.
You might be on to something with Jack. He's played there in the two matches when subbed on. Massive boot, which has probably god TT interested.

As a Rebel faithful, yes I believe we will retain a number of quality players. Loyalty does still count for something. Not saying we will keep everyone, but a good core. Some we just won't be able to because they have dreams we can't fulfil (woody is an example).

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why wouldn't we?
because they will do what all professionals do, go to where they get the most job satisfaction and the best pay/conditions. i just can't see the rebels offering such a great rugby program (coaching etc) and paycheque that they will not go to better performing franchise's for the same or more money. geez, we can't even get blokes who grew up in melbourne to come home and play for us. perhaps i am too cynical but until we get the current crop of home grown, largely PI talent coming through, we will struggle to hold on to anyone for more than 3 - 4 years at most. i think there will be the odd exception who comes from Qld/NSW and stays but not that many.

T

Train Without a Station

In lieu of loyalty there's always the big chip on the shoulder against the state that never had any interest in them despite being right under their noses.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think for now the Rebels should focus on improving their home-grown talent. Its a bit of a revolving door at the moment and while progress is clearly being made in some areas, consistency is required to keep moving upwards.

I'd be hesitant to take on someone like BOD, and instead look to cut back some of the big spending on marquee players in favour of younger talent like the Force have done. Some of those Saffers get out of their armpit of a country, get to play rugby, and live in the sunshine and I'll bet they're not drowning in cash to do it.

Look west Rebels.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think for now the Rebels should focus on improving their home-grown talent. Its a bit of a revolving door at the moment and while progress is clearly being made in some areas, consistency is required to keep moving upwards.
Look west Rebels.

i agree, thats why i have said the rebels will take another 5 - 7 years at least to consolidate. i am not so sure the melbourne sporting public (as distinct from the rugby faithful) will wait that long, or whether the ARU coffers can sustain the potential costs.

us rebel followers are going to have to be very very patient

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But where else are the ARU going to go in Australia? They're barely winning the battle in Sydney, Brisbane, or Canberra.

Put it in this context: Wallabies win RWC2015, playing attractive rugby. Suddenly rugby is on the up and up again.

I think McGahan has done good things down there - and certainly some WTF moments like changing half his team a week after getting a victory - but the team will be better off next year, even with the loss of some talent.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Be interesting to see if Woodward gets much more game time this year?

not if the "pyle" experience is anything to go by.

the rebels selections keep giving a mixed message. pyle and horie on the bench (not around next year), yet sau preferred over kingston, veianu in one week but not even in the 23 next, reid half a game all year.

Edit : I think you either pick the best 15 available each week or decide on the future and play those people, but not a bit of each.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I think McGahan has done good things down there - and certainly some WTF moments like changing half his team a week after getting a victory - but the team will be better off next year, even with the loss of some talent.

McGrahan has failed, the Rebels will be lucky to not finish last which is a massive backward step. Our attack this season has been completely boring, at least in 2013 we where exciting to watch. Sitting 14th on the table at this stage of the season is not good enough, losing to all 4 kiwi teams in a season for the first time is not good enough, losing 4 home games and having the fans react to the game plan in the way they did says it all.

I think Hill deserved another year and we would have benefited as McGrahan was just a ARU hand off to stop having to pay out a contract.

MCGRAHAN OUT PLEASE

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Mixed messages - I don't think the coach has a clue!! Can someone tell me what the game plan was on Saturday night??

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Kevin O - my feelings exactly! Hill was given the boot when the Rebels were playing better than they are now....do we really have to put up with TT for another season..aargh!

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Kevin O - my feelings exactly! Hill was given the boot when the Rebels were playing better than they are now..do we really have to put up with TT for another season..aargh!

I was against TT from day 1, he was a failure at Munster, went from European champions under Kidney to missing the knock out stages for the only time in the history of the Heineken Cup. He than joined Deans and had one of the most attacking sides playing boring rugby again and than was handed to the Rebels and has done it all over again.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I am not happy with the end result but let's keep some things in perspective - yes our offence was consistently better last season but we also had james oconnor and Beale for quite a bit of it. We lost then. Attacking flair is always going to drop off after that.
We lost four games by less than a converted try. And defensively and in the pack - the platform for success - we have been genuine top class for almost all the year.
Hill had us attacking but we were even more of a inconsistent outfit and our defender was a complete joke under hill.
I think hill should have gotten another year but the standards are higher this year in my opinion and just listen to the players.
Hill is gone because of how he lost control of the group. I think he was far too reliant on his previous Sydney uni knowledge of players as well.
Is this year a success? No but bar rounds 2 and 3 I think we improved on the park.
If we can replace Woodward and maintain squad cohesion this year and next I think we will be much more competitive. Just look at all the players re-signing lately.
I think we are 2-3 from matching the middle of the pack teams and regularly causing drama to the top teams.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am not happy with the end result but let's keep some things in perspective - yes our offence was consistently better last season but we also had james oconnor and Beale for quite a bit of it. We lost then. Attacking flair is always going to drop off after that.
We lost four games by less than a converted try. And defensively and in the pack - the platform for success - we have been genuine top class for almost all the year.
Hill had us attacking but we were even more of a inconsistent outfit and our defender was a complete joke under hill.
I think hill should have gotten another year but the standards are higher this year in my opinion and just listen to the players.
Hill is gone because of how he lost control of the group. I think he was far too reliant on his previous Sydney uni knowledge of players as well.
Is this year a success? No but bar rounds 2 and 3 I think we improved on the park.
If we can replace Woodward and maintain squad cohesion this year and next I think we will be much more competitive. Just look at all the players re-signing lately.
I think we are 2-3 from matching the middle of the pack teams and regularly causing drama to the top teams.
Sir Arthur I like your positivism.
Not certain about the tackling stats, but our defense is not that much better, last year they conceded 32 points/ game. this year so far 27.
Last year second overall in try scoring, this, last.
So I agree that from the outside many things seem better, but the outcomes have been the same or arguably worse.

let it flow

Bob McCowan (2)
Agree with the above, start spending money on local talent before we loose them. Very strong inside rumor Tamiti elison has had enough and wants to return to Japan. Let him go I say. Hes had 1 good game. That was game 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.