• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Harris might find himself playing a lot of 15 next year. He has been good there for the Reds. Not sure where that fits with a lot Rebels fans saying he is a 10/12 and more time there was a reason for the move.

D

daz

Harris might find himself playing a lot of 15 next year.

Given the news of Woody's departure, I would hazard a guess that is exactly why the Rebels recruited Harris.

It makes perfect sense now. Woody out, Harris in. 15 covered.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
don't be surprised to see Harris at 10 and Hegarty at 15, remember that's what he was originally picked as. he has very good open field running, terrific step, great pace, top tackle and if he can transform a pop gun kick at least into a "22", he would be a very good back three option.

D

daz

don't be surprised to see Harris at 10 and Hegarty at 15

If Barnes is not on the radar anymore, you could be right.

But I am certainly no expert in knowing what Coach Tony is thinking. There is likely to be player movements on the cards that we don't know about, so who knows what the 2015 squad will look like?

T

Train Without a Station

If they could jag Barnes then 10. Barnes 12. Harris 13. Inman 15. Hegarty would be a good backline.

D

daz

If they could jag Barnes then 10. Barnes 12. Harris 13. Inman 15. Hegarty would be a good backline.

Even Mitch would tell you his kicking boot never got past U/11's. I don't recall him ever lacing up at fullback and would be very apprehensive, and frankly surprised, if that was ever considered.
(Read the quote a bit better daz, you knob!)

With Barnes it should be:

10 Barnes
12 Inman
13 English
14 Hegarty
15 Harris

No Barnes and it is:

10 Hegarty
12 Inman
13 English
15 Harris

T

Train Without a Station

I think you misread me Daz, I was alluding to a midfield combo of Harris and Inman, with Hegarty at 15.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I can see the TT philosophy as burgess and harris in the halves, inman and another massive defender at 13, two big wings that can tackle and a fullback with a booming boot, playing (ie kicking into) the opposition 1/2, coupled with "going hard at the breakdown", remaining a "work in progress" for a "young side" because we have 10 newbies again and "lots of blokes in only the second season of super rugby". all in all a "good effort" to lose narrowly, again.

I can fully understand how frustrated the players must be. its palpable on the sidelines.

I can't fathom how this year with forward parity in most games and frank dominance for the majority of some games we have scored so few points, and squandered countless attacking opportunities with poor options, poorer execution, little composure and quite frankly panic at times. just think the attack coach needs help or moving on.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
from what we currently have available, I would like to see

9 stirz/burg/meehan
10 harris
11 veianu
12 inman
13 english
14 kingston
15 hegarty

22 debreczeni (covers 10/15)
23 Mitchell (covers 11,12,13,14)

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Inman needs to play 13, need a second creater at 12

Sent from my LG-E975K using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

I think you are better off with Harris at 15 over him playing 10. In fact keeping that backline 10. Hegarty, 12. Harris, 13. Inman, 14. English and 15. Kingston.

Harris lacks the passing game both sides to be a 1st choice 10. And he's a better runner than playmaker.

D

daz

Inman needs to play 13, need a second creater at 12

Sent from my LG-E975K using Tapatalk

No sure what you mean about a second creator. What Mitch does better at 12 than he did at 13 is provide good linking play.

His weakness at 13 is that he doesn't have the finishing ability that a McCabe/Mortlock/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has or had. Frankly, he needs to score more tries. How many this year? 1? Just not enough of a return for a 12, OR 13.

While his workrate at the breakdown cannot be criticised, I'd actually like to see Mitch make the tackle and get back into position to receive the pill from 10. At the moment, Mitch always seems to want to get himself involved in clearing out the breakdown. That's great, but then we are a linking man down when the ball comes free. 12 and 13 are our attacking platform from the breakdown; let the forwards do the grunt work and keep 10,12,13 free to set the attacking play.

And lastly, on Harris, I agree with TWAS. Harris is a back up 10/12 at best. His prime position is 15 and I will be a bit surprised if he is played anywhere else.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Even Mitch would tell you his kicking boot never got past U/11's. I don't recall him ever lacing up at fullback and would be very apprehensive, and frankly surprised, if that was ever considered.
(Read the quote a bit better daz, you knob!)

With Barnes it should be:

10 Barnes
12 Inman
13 English
14 Hegarty
15 Harris

No Barnes and it is:

10 Hegarty
12 Inman
13 English
15 Harris

According to the Rebels FB feed Barnes is no longer an option. Was stated a number of times after prompting from a few people. My guess is $$$ was the problem, but I wouldn't rule out a return to QLD if JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't work out for them.

In terms of a backup FB it would seem Jack D is the man for the role, which probably leaves Gus and potentially Rokobaro on the outer. Can't really tell how's his gone with the limited gametime this year, anyone out in Dewar shield land give us a run down? Has he been playing 10 or 15 for Endeavour Hills?

Rebels FB feed also noted they hope/plan to have the list finalised in the next month. Hope that it's sorted prior to the final match so we can give the departing players a decent stockade goodbye.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
From Facebook...

Melbourne RebelsWe're confident in the future with Bryce Hegarty, Mike Harris and Jack Debreczeni fighting for the 10 jersey

I reckon it's most likely we'll see Crumbs at 10, Harris at 15 and Jack on the bench covering both.

No sure what you mean about a second creator. What Mitch does better at 12 than he did at 13 is provide good linking play.

His weakness at 13 is that he doesn't have the finishing ability that a McCabe/Mortlock/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has or had. Frankly, he needs to score more tries. How many this year? 1? Just not enough of a return for a 12, OR 13.

Our whole backline (11-15) have scored less tries between them so far this season than the Tah's fullback. I can't remember English scoring at all.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I reckon it's most likely we'll see Crumbs at 10, Harris at 15 and Jack on the bench covering both.

I think the quote from the rebels media person is a telling sign that Gus and Alex are on borrowed time. Moving forward it looks like a good combination and Mikes presence will have crumbs and JD grow into good footballers.

T

tranquility

McMahon is your Pocock.

That is you recruited him young, and he will shape the standards of your club as he grows into a leadership position. You just need to hold onto him and the other young players you recruit to build a culture, so that you can continually add to your squad each season.

If you continually cleanout the side and keep looking for ready made super 15 players, then it will be a difficult job for any coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.