• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
That does raise a question of mine, I didn't think Fugistaller was such a safe starter that he was captain worthy?

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Well modest Colby thinks spots will be tough in the backrow, I tend to agree with him.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/rug...n-new-look-squad/story-fndpt9s1-1227212317847

For the record I think he might be bench cover. Saw him playing at 8 in the trial match for a little bit, so he may be used as cover for all those positions. Who knows...

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I have a question for the Rebels faithful

Fuglistaller seems a good player and a leader in his own right, but would Inman not also have been worth consideration in some leadership capacity? I bloody love the way that man plays the game...100% commitment, iron shouldered defence, uncompromising work rate and determination to run through brick walls with the ball. He's all attitude and seems to be a driver of standards on the paddock (obviously not in a position to comment on what he is like off it).

I think in a different country he probably would have played some Tests by now and I'm pretty sure he'll debut this year or next. Could you hombres do us a favour and give him a leadership carrot to stay?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I have a question for the Rebels faithful

Fuglistaller seems a good player and a leader in his own right, but would Inman not also have been worth consideration in some leadership capacity? I bloody love the way that man plays the game.100% commitment, iron shouldered defence, uncompromising work rate and determination to run through brick walls with the ball. He's all attitude and seems to be a driver of standards on the paddock (obviously not in a position to comment on what he is like off it).

I think in a different country he probably would have played some Tests by now and I'm pretty sure he'll debut this year or next. Could you hombres do us a favour and give him a leadership carrot to stay?

Inman does work hard and is one of the leaders in the back line, I just don't think he is the sort of player who would be wanting to take on extra responsibility and just concentrate on his game.

If Inman is at Inside center he will never play test rugby (Sorry Daz) The only side playing with the big 12 still is Wales. Can't see Cheika not playing a second play maker at 12, he would have a chance if he was back at 13 and Kuridrani got injured.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Well with Debreczeni and Aussie Mike options at 10 and 12 respectively that may just pan out...unless you insist Ellison plays 13 (he's equally capable at 15 FYI)

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well with Debreczeni and Aussie Mike options at 10 and 12 respectively that may just pan out.unless you insist Ellison plays 13 (he's equally capable at 15 FYI)

Would rather see that happen, Mitch played 12 in both trials though so I don't see Tony playing them that way.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if Fuglistaller will be on the bench for some games and Higginbotham won't play 80 minutes so Fugs finishes the game as captain?

You could start with:

6. Jones 7. McMahon 8. Higginbotham 19. Fuglistaller, 20. Timani

Finish with:

6. McMahon 7. Fuglistaller 8. Timani

Jones would move to lock to close the game. That would mean your 80 minute forwards are Neville, Jones, McMahon.

At a pinch, Timani could play lock if there is an injury and Higgers would stay on the park for 80 minutes.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I wonder if Fuglistaller will be on the bench for some games and Higginbotham won't play 80 minutes so Fugs finishes the game as captain?

You could start with:

6. Jones 7. McMahon 8. Higginbotham 19. Fuglistaller, 20. Timani

Finish with:

6. McMahon 7. Fuglistaller 8. Timani

Jones would move to lock to close the game. That would mean your 80 minute forwards are Neville, Jones, McMahon.

At a pinch, Timani could play lock if there is an injury and Higgers would stay on the park for 80 minutes.

You raise an interesting concept here: a 'close out captain'. We had a few matches last year where we could not close out the game. I think partly due to the leadership on the ground. The Chiefs match was a classic example. Putting a fresh leader on the pitch may help to tighten our decision making in the last 10 minutes, a period where we've won and lost many games.

I'm trying to think of an Australian-based team who have have done this before, I think if it's true it would certainly be quite innovative in Oz Rugby circles.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
well we will all get some idea of TT's thinking on Weds (i assume).

i see mcmahon playing 6 for all the game, fainga'a and fuglistaller sharing 7,
higgers playing 8 for most of the game most of the time. we are blessed with back row options because reid and timani are more than useful.
i like braveheart's combo but can't see it happening too often.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Inman does work hard and is one of the leaders in the back line, I just don't think he is the sort of player who would be wanting to take on extra responsibility and just concentrate on his game.

If Inman is at Inside center he will never play test rugby (Sorry Daz) The only side playing with the big 12 still is Wales. Can't see Cheika not playing a second play maker at 12, he would have a chance if he was back at 13 and Kuridrani got injured.

Nonu, SBW. NZ

Samoa

England

France

Bok

All playing 12s close to 100Kg or 100Kg+. The straight running 12 model isn't as dead as you make out and all those sides have beaten the Wallabies in recent times.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nonu and SBW are also very skilled ball players as well.

SBW has a brilliant offload and Nonu has a very good long passing game now.

France are playing the sub 90kg Fofana at 12. They are often playing the big 13 in Basteraud.

Frans Steyn certainly qualifies as a big 12 for the Boks when he plays there.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Timani played lock in the last trial game. Didn't stand out but I haven't seen any proper stats.

I think Swingpass is on the money. Fuglistaller will start with Colby as a replacement.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Got my membership pack today - with Colby looking marvellous as the player for blue memberships. Still giving out hats and scarves, exciting stuff.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
There really should be an opt out box for the gimmicks when renewing membership.

I don't mean to be too much of a greenie but all the hats and scarves and stickers and magnets don't get used, especially when you've got five of each!

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
There really should be an opt out box for the gimmicks when renewing membership.

I don't mean to be too much of a greenie but all the hats and scarves and stickers and magnets don't get used, especially when you've got five of each!

Yeah I don't really know what I'm going to do with all my scarves... knit a blanket?

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)

So years ago I was hinting to Mrs AFL_Converted that I needed a Rebels scale. I suppose if they keep comming I can take dctargers suggestion and knit a blanket for when I can afford my Weary Dunlop membership. Perhaps the rims of the caps can be "tiled" to make a matching umbrella.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah I don't really know what I'm going to do with all my scarves. knit a blanket?

I know a guy who did something similar. Through refereeing all over the world he had been given a load of ties from different associations etc so he got his wife to make them into a waistcoat for rugby events. Didn't look as bad as it sounds.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I know a guy who did something similar. Through refereeing all over the world he had been given a load of ties from different associations etc so he got his wife to make them into a waistcoat for rugby events. Didn't look as bad as it sounds.

That sounds like proper drinking attire.

Status
Not open for further replies.