• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Breaking News:
Rebels have been "sold" by ARU to a private consortium with ownership rights for 20 years.

Full details coming later today.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Still works on most Murdoch Inc. Sites, as does replacing the site name with news.com.au, but the Aus looks to have reworked it.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Damm, I might actually have to invest in a subscription. Problem is, I can't stand most all of the crap they print.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
He's still very very rough and was found out defensively at 13 a lot in the past two U20's games.

Also he's extremely young, being born in 1997. Currently he's in the Rebels' Academy, but no formal contract as of yet.

That's because he is a 12, and 13 is the hardest position to defend at. Sure he is rough around the edges at the moment but he deserves an EPS contract I reckon and a run in the Rising this year.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Is this the same consortium headed up by Peter Sidwell who used to own the Melbourne Heart before they were sold and became Melbourne City. I know they were in the running to buy out the rebels a couple of months ago but it all seemed to quieten down.
If it is I can tell you he is a shrewd operator but knows very little about rugby.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The Imperium Group, headed by Andrew Cox and Peter Sidwell, will announce the purchase today of the Melbourne Rebels Super Rugby team on a 20-year deal for an undisclosed sum, starting July 1.
The Australian Rugby Union, which has been in control of the franchise since the original owner Harold Mitchell passed over the reins to it in 2013, will hand the franchise to Imperium with no little delight, with its annual report revealing the Rebels cost $3.3 million in an overall deficit of $6.3m.
Still, it is difficult to escape the conclusion that Cox and Sidwell — who is a former chairman and majority owner of the A-League Melbourne Heart soccer club and has been Mick Malthouse’s manager for 30 years — haven’t picked themselves up a bargain.
“The on-field facilities are in good shape but the off-field needs a lot of work,” said Cox, who nominally will be chief executive officer, representing the club at regular Super Rugby executives meetings. Current CEO Peter Leahy is not continuing with the organisation, having done the work to set the club up for sale.
“We’re in the single most competitive sporting market in the world, bar none,” Cox said. “Melbourne has 18 professional sporting teams. New York has something like 16. So we’re very much a niche operator and we have to do what we do well.
“This is a long-term play, not a short-term.
“(Head coach) Tony McGahan and (rugby operations general manager) Baden Stephenson have done a really good job.
“We’ve got a good opportunity to be really competitive next year. It’s not my job to coach the team or tell the coach what to do. That’s his job. My job is to fix the financial performance of the business of the club.
“This is not going to be a stand-alone operation with the exception of the rugby side of things. We aren’t going to be a traditional rugby club. We have to be more agile, a bit more commercial, for want of a better word, than all the others.”
Original owner Mitchell spent an estimated $8 million on setting up the player group in the first two years but Cox, a New Zealander with strong — if now past — affiliations with the Crusaders, indicated he intends to stay within guidelines.
Asked what budget the football department would have to play with, Cox replied: “It’s their decision who they hire but they’ll stay within the salary cap.”
If the Rebels are to keep the team at least as strong as this year’s, when they picked up a record six wins, they will need to find quality replacements for captain and backrower Scott Higginbotham and tighthead prop Paul Alo-Emile.
Cox is a long-time rugby follower who was a foundation member of the Weary Dunlop Club and all indications are that he and Sidwell are in for the long haul.
Certainly that is what Rob Clarke, the Australian Rugby Union’s general manager for professional rugby, market and operations, is hoping, describing the Rebels transfer as “virtually in perpetuity”.
“I’ve known both men a long time,” Clarke said. “Andrew is putting his whole company behind this. He has bought 18 companies since he started it and only sold one so he has a reputation as a stayer.”

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
“This is not going to be a stand-alone operation with the exception of the rugby side of things. We aren’t going to be a traditional rugby club. We have to be more agile, a bit more commercial, for want of a better word, than all the others.”

Agile eh? Wonder if they adopt this form of Agile SCRUM? (NSFW - language)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Done deal..

---

Dear OZTIMMAY,

As members of this Club, we will always endeavour to bring you the news first.

We informed you in May that we were in advanced discussions for Melbourne business Imperium Group to obtain 100% of the shares in the Melbourne Rebels, having entered into a heads of agreement.

I am pleased to announce today that the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) and Victorian Rugby Union (VRU) will confirm the sale of the Rebels to Imperium Sports Management.
http://click.e.melbournerebels.com....65a05a2a8382e492dd36ecc509ae79d8f45aa90b95a5aCLICK HERE for further information about the sale of the Melbourne Rebels.

As a consequence of the change of ownership, the role of Rebels CEO as currently configured will cease and I will be stepping aside effective 30th June.

The change of ownership of the Rebels will help underpin a sound financial position for the Club and enable the Club to plan for the long term and fully reach its potential. This is a very exciting time for the Melbourne Rebels.

I wanted to take this opportunity to extend my personal thanks to all of our members and fans for your marvellous support in season 2015. It has been an honour and privilege to have been CEO at such an integral time in the Club's development and transition.

I look forward to joining you all in cheering on our Rebels from the stands in 2016.

Best wishes,

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Imperium have been looking for employees as the rebels on seek for a couple of weeks so it looked fairly sure there.

Status
Not open for further replies.